Deleted
    DX11 not being actually out yet sadly, looking forward to it, it might help to record at 60 FPS though with tessellation off, most of the recording programs are CPU intensive as it is unless you are using shadowplay and as deltrus says, its sub par and it is.

That video I linked raw footage alone is 100 mbps at 30 FPS, would need more then an I5 to do at 60 FPS and continue to game at 60 FPS.

Granted that codec isn't bad at all on CPU, just at full load, FF14 and saying that other mmos will take up a lot of it to start with unlike FPS games.

However saying that, everytime I upload a 60 FPS footage to youtube, it looks like garbage compared to the same render at 30 FPS, just youtube I guess ;/.

However most of the benchmark had out door areas which is worst case scenario, I get at max settings in Coil 120ish FPS if I take off the limiter, If DX11 can really help unload off the CPU then that be awesome to do 60 FPS footage if I can find a reliable trick to get the footage as good quality onto youtube.

Otherwise Sky lake is meant to be coming this autumn and may just pick up the I7 that comes with for extra CPU grunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flipped one of my spare monitors to portrait for giggles, turns out it's REALLY good for reading manga and generally a lot of websites look far better designed for portrait screens.

But then the biggest drawback of TN panels became super obvious - viewing angles. TN panels get affected a lot more by vertical angles than horizontal, and thus make sense for for landscape (eyes are aligned horizontally). But when flipped to portrait the brightness/contrast difference between my right and left eyes almost made me dizzy. Didn't think it would be this bad.

Makes me want to buy a cheap IPS just for portrait.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2015-05-09 at 11:41 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... that's one of the biggest issues I have with TN. Vertical has always been the worse for TN panels. It's also why you always see it quoted as 170/160 H/V even though in practice all it takes is about 30-40~ degrees of a difference to cause discoloration which is really easy on a 27" or landscape, or if you're like me rest on the arm.
    Though cheap monitors might not have the ability to rotate.

There's differences within the panel types as well though.
    The best TN panels are better than the worst IPS panels, even in terms of viewing angles.
    So be careful with your cheap IPS monitor!

10+ Year Old Account
    Those are very very very old IPS panels though. They're the quoted 90/70 ones. You see them a lot more in laptops nowadays.

So I've decided to buy a gaming laptop for lans and such. Found one from xoticpc.com for US$988 all up minus shipping, specs as follows:
    15.6" 1920x1080p screen
    I7 4720HQ
    8gb 1600mhz ram
    gtx 960m
    128gb micron M600 SSD
    1tb 7200 hdd

SO much better than anything I can get here in Aus for that price range($1236) that's without shipping but still, the best laptop I can get here for that price range is something with an i3 and a 950m. So really contemplating buying this, what do you guys reckon?
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2015-05-12 at 11:55 PM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Went to Best Buy (pukes) and browsed their gaming laptop section...

...with all 4 options!

I feel dirty for this, but I actually bought the HP Omen 15"... no mechanical keyboard, but ffs, $2,500 being minimum for one of the MSI options really pushes me away.

Not having mechanical keys is driving me fairly nuts, plus laptop = yay THERE is my carpal tunnel! I'll have to get something to elevate my wrists. >_< Also, the extra tiny up and down arrow keys are not favorable for games like Binding of Isaac... can always be remedied playing with the Xbox controller.

The IPS display is BEAUTIFUL. No anti-glare, but seeing how most scenarios don't really need it, I'm loving the bright vivid colors.

Having only an SSD in there is also making this thing awesome.

I'll post a full review perhaps in a week or two. I'm probably going to keep it, though.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Yeah, 2500 bucks is way too much for a laptop that'll be outdated in 2 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Can a wireless adapter cause a blue screen? My previous one broke and got a new one, same one but different version, old one was v2 new v3, anyway start it up start installing plug it in and blue screen. It was also causing windows to freeze during the Starting Windows part when i turn my computer on. Few times it didnt want to work but kept restarting until it finally got past that, uninstalled previous version v2 and reinstalled v3 seems to be fine now but can it really cause a blue screen?
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

I know that the wireless NIC in my old netbook blue-screened if I tried to use the cisco vpn client. So long as I didn't do that it would be perfectly stable, but turn that software on and it blue-screened immediately.

I was going to re-do the TIM on my CPU this weekend because temps have been slowly creeping up (even in winter). Good thing I thought to check if I could find it before starting (I couldn't) otherwise I'd have been a bit stuffed.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2015-05-17 at 09:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Wonder if this has any truth to it

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...ed-5-18-15-/5/

"I usually wouldn't bother explaining, because its been explained countless times before and people with the "old driver works, so the card is not the problem" mentality never accept the reality of the matter.

Nvidia designs their cards to fit a specification that fits silicon degradation vs performance vs stability, and the reference drivers adhere to the reference specifications of the device.

There is alot of hardware tuning performed by the driver, which when applied to a stock nvidia reference device will get the best performance out of it without fault or failure. When your card is operating beyond the reference specs, this tuning can cause any of the gpu's individual segments to generate errors through too much voltage being in a particular area (transistor leakage) or structurally weak groups of shaders being worked harder then they can handle at the current clock rate.

It is an absolute Myth that chips are 'binned' for over clock potential, 2 chips even in the same batch can have completely different structural quality.

Nvidia gets a lot of flak for problems that aren't even their own fault.

This is something that only a few Hardware journo's (HardOCP being one) have actually dared to touch, with the rest getting kickbacks for benching super overclocked cards and other free crap to make people buy cards that have a far higher return rate then relative reference devices."
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically true. Sora is a massive fanatic and is one of the people that just randomly dismisses my post in the NVidia forum asking for help, go figure.

That said, the whole silicon lottery thing is exactly that. When manufacturers make a gigantic batch of silicon wafer things (whatever you want to call it), there can be imperfection from one to another even in the same wafer. This is also one reason why certain things are more expensive. High clocked RAM for example is very specifically binned where it's like one in a thousand to get, while the lower Hz/CL are easy and probably just able to get it with any chip that gets passed their way.

I won't say anything on the driver side since I don't know much about it, but for the hardware that's generally about it for the lottery.
    tl;dr manufacturing process isn't perfect.

Did you see Sora telling somebody having performance issues to go clean their PC to stop it thermal throttling on the previous page?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...31446/#4531446

Is it only overclocked graphics cards that saw a performance decrease with the latest driver?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, hes extremely irrational. Everything is the fault of the user.

Also I have no idea. Haven't looked in depth with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah here it is.
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...omment=4343169

Never try to ask for help in the Nvidia forum, you have too many crazies not helping out... probably easier to ask on other forums.

So a bit of an update.. I ended up buying a laptop, it cost me a pretty penny but it should do for the next few years. Plus comes with an upgradeable MXM graphics interface so that's a thing. I bought this, waiting to go pick it up when it's ready.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Current NVidia and Kepler card fiasco is kinda amusing (Schadenfreude wheee). With Kepler cards performing worse on NVidia endorsed / optimized games specifically gameworks and most recently Witcher 3 where the performance of a 285 and 960 (depending on benchmark set up, but pretty consistent), is hugging 780s really close or exceed.
    That and the recent drivers have been crash central for a lot of people.
    Can link stuff once I have time.

Yeah, that Hairworks really crushes non-Maxwell nVidia GPUs. Almost as badly as it hits AMD graphics cards. I say almost, because you can enable hairworks and adjust the level of tesselation in AMD Catalyst, while you can't do that in the GeForce driver software.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even then, without hairworks it's completely screwed though.

http://techbuyersguru.com/hotdealsblog/?p=4119
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/P...tcher_3/3.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,5.html
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Wi...marks-1159196/
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-benc...-fps-benchmark

The fact that 780 is being very closely butthuggled (don't care if it's not a real word!) by the older and objectively weaker cards is very disconcerting.

Some have reported that going back a few drivers (347) is increasing their performance, some not, no idea what merit there is as no one has done a proper review yet. Apparently this issue already spanned past few games from FC4, Project CARS and now Witcher 3.
    Either A. Neglect or B. Direct sabotage. B is conspiracy theory so take that as what you will, but neglect really seems to be what's happening.
    If this is a trend to continue to be seen from NVidia I can't in good conscience recommend an NVidia card if it's going to be abandoned by them one generation later while AMD has in basis the same GCN core and are running better and better.
    A joke was made, sort of.
    2013 R9 285 (forgot which, probably 280x but whatever) < 770
    2014 R9 285 = 770.
    2015 R9 285 > 780. No, not a typo.
    Then there's the driver issues now...
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...ased-5-18-15-/

- - - Updated - - -

All aboard the schadenfreude train, or at least I am cause I have nothing better to do at the moment.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/212769/nv...rclocking.html
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-05-21 at 11:10 PM.

r9 285 is the r9 280 / 7950 remake/follow-up.
    One that is riddled with bugs and actually doesn't outperform it in many scenarios, rather the opposite.
    The r9 285x never materialised despite scheduled launch a week after.

But I do find it funny how GTX 680 (my card, incidentally) launched at 131% of the capacity of the 7950, and now it has 99% of it.
    And they say AMD drivers and their overtime driver-support and driver optimisation sucks. What.
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    r9 285 is the r9 280 / 7950 remake/follow-up.
    One that is riddled with bugs and actually doesn't outperform it in many scenarios, rather the opposite.
    The r9 285x never materialised despite scheduled launch a week after.

But I do find it funny how GTX 680 (my card, incidentally) launched at 131% of the capacity of the 7950, and now it has 99% of it.
    And they say AMD drivers and their overtime driver-support and driver optimisation sucks. What.
    Mhh, I still don't really see why I need to upgrade a 2500K and HD 7950. I guess having more threads would be good for Cities Skylines (but then that'd probably mean going X99).
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2015-05-22 at 11:56 PM.