The W10 deployment is a comedic trailblazer of retarded shit. You wanna know what my experience was?

a. Okay, let's upgrade to Windows 10! You get a free upgrade, right? So how do I claim my Windows 10 key? Err... dunno. The "Get Windows 10" thing doesn't seem to exist. I assumed (correctly) that it was because I wasn't using an 'eligible' key, given I'm on W8.1 Enterprise. So I just download the Media Creation Tool and just go at it. I guessed at the time that they just added the means to upgrade with the key you have within W10 itself.

b. Media Creation Tool is a fucking nightmare. It is a barebones direct download tool that apparently uses Windows Update stuff, Idk. It doesn't keep track of progress. It doesn't let you pause. It doesn't let you do anything to the download process. And it doesn't tell you what it's doing at all. I set it to download as an ISO to my 3TB drive. 2 hours later, I discover it is still at 0%. Literally no progress. Is it downloading? Is it not? I don't know.

c. Media Creation Tool does not exit cleanly. I had to force exit it a bunch of times. I had to update Windows 8.1 with a total of 1.5 GB updates, and clean out a shitton of space on my drive to get the tool to work. I won't even go into detail of how long the actual download took.

d. Finally made a bootable usb with the downloaded iso. Replaced my Corsair Force drive with the Samsung 840. Unplugged 3TB drive to not have any masterboot or whatever bullshit. Booted computer. Got to installing W10. Fast-forward to me watching screen go "Hi, we're doing stuff". Go through their menus. More menus. Somehow wind up with "Hi we're doing stuff" again. Uh, okay.

e. Finally in Windows 10. Let's valida-- nope, it has no means to upgrade my W7 Ult key to W10 Home. Did I miss something? Did the offer expire? What about the store, is there something there I need to 'purchase' to do this with? Is there a program? Nope, nada, nothing.

f. After a shitton of troubleshooting I finally get a hold of a Microsoft rep. Took its sweet time to get through. What's he say? That I need to downgrade to Windows 7, validate my key there, then upgrade to W10.

TL;DR - I had to downgrade, activate then upgrade. And if I was to ever lose my key I would have to redo this process again.

10+ Year Old Account
    This upgrade validation is indeed kind of stupid... The system needs to contact their servers anyway, why not do it from W10 too?

15+ Year Old Account
    So short update, was able to update computer to Windows 10, no putting Windows 10 on my flash drive did not work. I just decided to install it the normal way.

Now I am resetting it to get it to have a clean install, though I heard it is not a true clean install. Right now I have been stuck at 99%....

Watching img the Office on my phone has been entertaining me. What did people do before smartphones?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post

e. Finally in Windows 10. Let's valida-- nope, it has no means to upgrade my W7 Ult key to W10 Home. Did I miss something? Did the offer expire? What about the store, is there something there I need to 'purchase' to do this with? Is there a program? Nope, nada, nothing.
    I'm quite way too tired right now (really rough day), but would that work at all? Would you not should get Win10pro?

15+ Year Old Account
    So...... I 'resetted' Windows 10...wtf do I get on my first boot? Fucking Razer and AMD asking me shitnaboutbtheir software, thatbis not a clean install microsoft. I guess Ill have to do it tue old fashioned way. God. Razer even had the balls to ask me to install theor shiw while I was resetting my pc, wtf?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you can clean install after validating your key with the upgrade.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I think you can clean install after validating your key with the upgrade.
    Yeah, I'm doing that right now....redownloading this bullshit now. If it does not work I will be very mad.

Update: So I am doing the clean install now. It is super scary. First I had to install it on anflash drive(it finally worked) then I restarted into it. Then it sent me to a list of hard drives. I formatted my hard drive and it did not let me install Windows 10. So I then deleted it then reformatted/created a new partition. That created a few partitions, but ill just let it do that. Then it is now installing Windows 10. It kinda looks a little sketchy as the upgrade UI looks different than just the normal upgrade.

Update Update: Installation is a success!..kinda........The random partitions that it created seem albeit useless, they all have 100% space. My computer will not start up normally with my ssd to boot, instead I have to run something called "Windows Boot Manager" Wtf? Maybe going to see if it is safe to delete these other partitions and see if it fixes it.
    Last edited by apepi; 2015-08-02 at 03:32 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol... I'm so happy I am just sticking with my 8.1 install. XD Idk what you guys are thinking, upgrading on the day it launches. There are BOUND to be issues and MS is likely backlogged for weeks with customer service requests.

I get it, new toys... but jeez.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    lol... I'm so happy I am just sticking with my 8.1 install. XD Idk what you guys are thinking, upgrading on the day it launches. There are BOUND to be issues and MS is likely backlogged for weeks with customer service requests.

I kinda skipped Windows 8...so...........NEW TOYS!!!!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account

I must be fucked then, did it permanently 5~6 months ago =p.
    But I obviously kept 8.1 at another drive until 2 weeks ago just in case...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I kinda skipped Windows 8...so...........NEW TOYS!!!!!!!!!
    When I upgraded my computer hardware, I felt like then was the perfect time to get 8.1.

At first it was weird... very soon got used to it and quite like it! I really have no problems with it atm and will probably just get 10 whenever it's more convenient... also not right when it launches and is most likely to have a few more bugs than not. XD
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    When I upgraded my computer hardware, I felt like then was the perfect time to get 8.1.

At first it was weird... very soon got used to it and quite like it! I really have no problems with it atm and will probably just get 10 whenever it's more convenient... also not right when it launches and is most likely to have a few more bugs than not. XD
    Yeah, my Windows 7 just seem to be filled with fucking crap, it was time to do a clean install. I do kind miss it though. I felt like letting go of an old friend, you feel like you have been with it for so long you know? I have 97GBs free right now.

As for my drive problem, I think it is working as intended? It seems like it installed uefi or something with it, which is supposed to be a new way to install OSs or some crap and Windows Boot Manager is required to use it? I don't fucking know, some of this crap goes over my head.

I would have to say I had the fucking smoothest graphics driver update ever. I remember having to naming the AMD file something specific to get it to install.
    Last edited by apepi; 2015-08-02 at 04:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, I cleaned up the browsers I had open cause I just kept opening more and more stuff and didn't go through them. Session restore was 22MBs big.

I had at least 1100 tabs open.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody hells... 1100 tabs open?!

How...?! How did you even have the RAM for that? O_O
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    So heads up everyone, Windows gets pissed if you try to rename your account in regedit..... Will just bring you to a temp account until you fix it. Fucking thing has part of my email address instead of my real name in the thing. Guh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody hells... 1100 tabs open?!

How...?! How did you even have the RAM for that? O_O
    Umm... Magic?

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Yeah, my Windows 7 just seem to be filled with fucking crap, it was time to do a clean install. I do kind miss it though. I felt like letting go of an old friend, you feel like you have been with it for so long you know? I have 97GBs free right now.

As for my drive problem, I think it is working as intended? It seems like it installed uefi or something with it, which is supposed to be a new way to install OSs or some crap and Windows Boot Manager is required to use it? I don't fucking know, some of this crap goes over my head.

I would have to say I had the fucking smoothest graphics driver update ever. I remember having to naming the AMD file something specific to get it to install.
    I am glad to hear your horror stories because i gotta do that tomorrow when i wake up 0.o either that or wait until monday and have my tech savy brother in law deal with it for me
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    I am glad to hear your horror stories because i gotta do that tomorrow when i wake up 0.o either that or wait until monday and have my tech savy brother in law deal with it for me
    It is not too bad, juat takes time.

So... I might have something that is holding me to 60 fps, not sure what it is yet. Ill have to check all video settings, and probably need to oc gpu.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I'm quite way too tired right now (really rough day), but would that work at all? Would you not should get Win10pro?
    Far as I can gather the answer is no. But I honestly have no idea at this point.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Far as I can gather the answer is no. But I honestly have no idea at this point.
    It it would not work, you would have to downgrade to Home Basic or Premium to get it. I downgraded my Ultimate to get a Pro key(it was like...10$ cheaper!), you have to install whatever version that you are installing though, pain in the ass. I just had to do it yesterday.