Page 1 of 31
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why people hate guns?

I have gun with me all the time, but some people are bitching on me that I own the gun and dare to carry it with me. Why do they feel like telling me all this bullshit? People can't undestand that I don't feel safe without gun, but I don't undestand them for not having one and not even knowing any martial art. I was forced to use my gun many times over the past years and I can't imagine not having the gun in these situations. For example, last time I had to use my gun was to shoot pitbull that was attacking my neighbour. He could die or get seriously injured if I didn't shoot that beast. Without gun, I can't imagine anything, but panicking in this situation, but when I tell this story to people, they are like: "oh but you killed innocent dog! How could you! Stupid guns!."

I dont get it, this world is far from being safe.
    Last edited by mmoc10a5b980a3; 2012-03-13 at 12:55 PM.

Deleted
    you seem awefully paranoid.people hate guns because their whole purpose is to kill someone/thing no matter if you use it or not

Deleted
    I work with firearms for a living, i respect them far too much to want every Tom, Dick and Harry to own one.

Do you live in the Thunderdome or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just because of the unknown. People don't know if you might be having a bad day and might go shoot something up. If someone is walking down the street and they see a person with a gun they could be thinking things like,"What are his intentions? Is he going to shoot me? Is he going to shoot someone else?" For all we know, the person could be just like you and carry it for safety. The fact of the matter is that people are scarred of the unknown and what you might do with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Lol, best comment all day!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Safalatka View Post
    I have gun with me all the time, but some people are bitching on me that I own the gun and dare to carry it with me. Why do they feel like telling me all this bullshit? People can't undestand that I don't feel safe without gun, but I don't undestand them for not having one and not even knowing any martial art. I was forced to use my gun many times over the past years and I can't imagine not having the gun in these situations. For example, last time I had to use my gun was to shoot pitbull that was attacking my neighbour. He could die or get seriously injured if I didn't shoot that beast. Without gun, I can't imagine anything, but panicking in this situation, but when I tell this story to people, they are like: "oh but you killed innocent dog! How could you! Stupid guns!."

I dont get it, this world is far from being safe.
    Carrying a gun with you is a statement, a bold one. You are armed and you have the means to kill someone. If you think no-one would react to such a statement in a social environment, you are quite ignorant.
    A gun is a threat, it's power, it's death. And if someone else has one, the ones that don't will fear it. And such fear is both natural and reasonable. Fear also makes people hate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    What were guns made for?

That's why a lot of people dislike guns. I don't hate them, but I'd rather not see them in the world either.
    I love guns, but I'd rather not see them in the world anymore either. Sadly, if you managed to wish away all the guns, man would only find something else to kill with.

Oh well, they are still incredibly fun to shoot! In fact, I think I'll go to a range this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

People worry me. I've seen enough of humanity to know most of them probably shouldn't have a gun. That said, a gun can change a tragic event into a heroic one, just by a single, good man or woman with a gun.

This thread is not going to end well... Especially because the OP seems like he's trolling hard.

I don't mind guns when they're used as a deterrent by trained professionals (police, military, etc). I do mind guns when they're in the hands of some random, paranoid, trigger-happy Joe-Shmo like the OP seems to be. The way I see, a civilian who carries a gun does so because they need to feel like they're in control, which is a characteristic that often comes with less desirable characteristics, like having a short tempter, being easily blinded by emotion, being trigger-happy, etc.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-09 at 10:24 PM.

People don't hate guns because of the select few that understand their power and respect it, they hate guns because of the huge majority that don't respect them.

They were designed to kill things and I'm generally against doing that unless in the most extreme circumstances, the problem is not everyone has that same level of tolerance.
    Desktop - AMD FX-8120 @ 3.8ghz - 8GB DDR3 OCZ - Sapphire 7870
    Laptop - M11X. Revision1 - 1.7ghz ULV Dual Core - 4GB DDR2 - GT335M

Deleted
    I honestly do not like the idea of the general public owning handguns. If you want something for hunting or home defence there is always shotguns and rifles, Handguns are concealable and devious in my opinion.

Exactly, what RICH said, owning a rifle/shotgun for hunting is one thing, but handguns were design to kill people, and we need to stop killing people not have more of it.
    Desktop - AMD FX-8120 @ 3.8ghz - 8GB DDR3 OCZ - Sapphire 7870
    Laptop - M11X. Revision1 - 1.7ghz ULV Dual Core - 4GB DDR2 - GT335M

Quote Originally Posted by natureca View Post
    Exactly, what RICH said, owning a rifle/shotgun for hunting is one thing, but handguns were design to kill people, and we need to stop killing people not have more of it.
    It's not that simple though. If you have a rapist in your home, a gun can mean so much difference. A handgun is easier for some women to handle than a bulky rifle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    It's not that simple though. If you have a rapist in your home, a gun can mean so much difference. A handgun is easier for some women to handle than a bulky rifle.
    Why not a shotgun? The sound they make when you rack them can make the devil himself piss himself. Shotguns come in all shapes and sizes, even the most feeble people can find one to suit them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reasonable people hate guns because guns are dangerous. Look, you can talk about safe gun ownership and safety all you want, but a) Gun violence is worse here in America than anywhere else b) innocent people are hurt by guns all the time and c) children are getting ahold of guns and using them to shoot each other. Do you read the news? It's irresponsible parenting, but so is letting your kids drink nothing but soda and that doesn't KILL them. I've considered getting a gun to defend myself and that makes me sick to my freaking stomach. Do I really have to have a gun just to even the playing field? Guns are too easy to acquire, they're dangerous and should be entirely illegal.

OP is extraordinarily paranoid and the exact type of person I'm terrified of. "I don't feel safe without my gun." "I use my gun all the time." "I can't understand why everyone doesn't have one." That kind of thinking is incredibly dangerous. I hope I never run into the OP.
    Last edited by Kaldreno; 2012-03-09 at 09:31 PM. Reason: clarification

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think that its fine to carry a gun, but people hate guns because they kill people. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    ^ On what occasions other then shooting a dog did you have to pull your gun, also grab the dog by the collar, this way he can't even bite you because dogs are that stupid. Not trying to sound like an animal hater or w/e, it's simply the truth. I speak from experience.

I had a couple of moments where I would have wished for a hun but ultimatly didn't need it, if I had pulled a gun in that situation things might have ended alot worse then they did, a world where no civillian has a gone would be the best, imo atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Why not a shotgun? The sound they make when you rack them can make the devil himself piss himself. Shotguns come in all shapes and sizes, even the most feeble people can find one to suit them.
    Shotguns can still be too cumbersome. A handgun is easy to aim and easy to shoot. My mother owns a handgun for just this reason. If I were to propose some type of small shotgun, she'd laugh.

Packin' heat...