Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellixen View Post
    .... but since SWToR's "failure" everyone's now on the GW2 Train. I predict for most of the playerbase it's just going to be another "failure".
    How was SWTOR a failure? (If it wasn't, then why even use the word?)

Will GW2 live up to EVERYONE'S expectations? No, probably not. But... so what? No one is expecting GW2 to sell 10 million copies.

I dont understand this hating or disliking another mmo because I like a different one. I plan to Raid in wow with my Guild still but I am really looking forward to GW2 is there some reason people cant enjoy both?

GW2 is insanely overhyped, thats for sure..But the fact remains and its what people dont remind themselves.

Asian Game = no content ever apart from expansion releases once per a couple of years.

Thats why GW2 isnt based around gear progression, its mainly a PvP game, you can call it an e-sport, it might become one.

Its that type of game where "I am bored of my main game, i want to kill stuff and feel refreshed"-->Log off main MMO-->Log on Dota/LoL/HoN/Bloodline Champions/GW2/D3.

Simple as that, thats what a game it is, not a main MMO but a great PvP back-up.

Its that "2 hours per week game for some PvP fun!" as i have LoL and HoN right now.
    Last edited by potis; 2012-03-16 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    GW2 is insanely overhyped, thats for sure..But the fact remains and its what people dont remind themselves.

Asian Game = no content ever apart from expansion releases once per a couple of years.

Thats why GW2 isnt based around gear progression, its mainly a PvP game, you can call it an e-sport, it might become one.

Its that type of game where "I am bored of my main game, i want to kill stuff and feel refreshed"-->Log off main MMO-->Log on Dota/LoL/HoN/Bloodline Champions/GW2/D3.

Simple as that, thats what a game it is, not a main MMO but a great PvP back-up.
    The fact that you just called GW2 an asian game ruined all credibility of your post (Well, and the false facts you said after)
    GW2 is not an asian game, it is being made by an american company and is an american game. And it's not not 'mainly a PvP game', there is PLENTY of PvE content. More than a lot of MMOs currently have out, just without as many time sinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    The fact that you just called GW2 an asian game ruined all credibility of your post (Well, and the false facts you said after)
    GW2 is not an asian game, it is being made by an american company and is an american game. And it's not not 'mainly a PvP game', there is PLENTY of PvE content. More than a lot of MMOs currently have out, just without as many time sinks.
    Keep believing it will have "PvE content" you people never learn.

The game is gonna be fun, but its not the messiah you are all waiting for, that messiah will never come.

Eastern MMO's = Grind to death and lose your item while upgrading and grind more.

Western MMO's =Grind till your gear is complete-->Wait for content patch or expansion.

GW1 was not a Western MMO, GW2 will not be a Western MMO, its a PvP game, based around graphics, animations and combat, it is not a real MMO, its gonna be as much as a MMO as LoL, once more its a PvP game at heart, and thats their main focus.

Its that "2 hours per week game for some PvP fun!" as i have LoL and HoN right now.
    Ignorant post. There will be a lot more content than "expansions every few years". And Arenanet isn't even asian.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

The game is gonna be fun, but its not the messiah you are all waiting for, that messiah will never come.

Eastern MMO's = Grind to death and lose your item while upgrading and grind more.

Western MMO's =Grind till your gear is complete-->Wait for content patch or expansion.

GW1 was not a Western MMO, GW2 will not be a Western MMO, its a PvP game, based around graphics, animations and combat, it is not a real MMO, its gonna be as much as a MMO as LoL, once more its a PvP game at heart, and thats their main focus.
    Dear lord. This post makes me cringe. Can you PLEASE inform yourself at least a little bit before trying to discuss gw2? Please. I beg you.

Dear god you are making my brain hurt.
    I never claimed it would be the messiah of video games, but congrats on putting words into my mouth to 'prove a point'.
    If this is what you truly believe, good job on having an opinion on a game that you obviously have done no research on. Opinions should be made after you have some basic idea of something, but obviously that is not necessary for one of the likes of you.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Even most fun game can get boring quickly if all you play it for is "fun", as in fun thaat is not a result from progressing.
    I play sports. I've played some sports since I was 5. I still play them every weekend - and it's been almost 20 years. Fun never gets boring. Boring games get boring (and need artificial incentives to keep people playing).

As for video games... there are some I've played for years with hundreds of hours sinked in, and there is hardly any progression at all in many of them (eg TF2).

But to me it's still an arcade game which pretends to be RPG
    Adding a smiley face to your comment doesn't make it any less of a troll/game-bashing.

---------- Post added 2012-03-16 at 10:08 AM ----------

And how do you know all this?

Maybe you're confusing this game with some other game and got the names mixed up? Maybe you're thinking of Tera or some other game...?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huggabear View Post
    is there some reason people cant enjoy both?
    This is my mmo. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My mmo is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my mmo is useless. Without my mmo, I am useless. I must play my mmo true. I must pvp straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must gank him before he ganks me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my mmo and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

Alot of folks are pretty damn territorial about the mmo they play.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Then most likely GW2 would finish for me the moment I unlocked the last skill.
    Then why are you playing SC2?

Oh god ... please read on who ANet are. Please read the stickies in this very subforum. Just so you know how much wrong you are, ArenaNet is founded by former Blizzard Employees.

You know that the G in MMORPG doesn't stand for "grind" right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    WoW's endgame forces you to run the same raid week in and week out. GW2's endgame lets you do all of its content week in and week out. You come to realize how big a game WoW is and how much of it you dont actually play. Then you look at a game like GW2 which will be big but will also let you play all of it no matter what level you are.
    This is what makes me sad about WoW. I'm playing a free week with a Scroll of Resurrection and while I find it pretty fun, I'll have to run the last tier over and over again and when I get it that's pretty much game over.
    People wont run older content and if they do, we'd just one-shoot it with no effort at all.

I haven't played GW1 though

When you try to spout misinformation as fact, you make yourself look really foolish. Just saying. Guild Wars 2 doesn't have raids and it doesn't have a gear treadmill. That doesn't mean that there is no PvE content though. They are going to have quite a few dungeons on launch, and with each of those dungeons, you have different paths you can take that make for a different experience each time. They are limited to five players, unlike what most people are used to in raid-based games, but even so, that STILL doesn't mean that the game lacks PvE content. You don't have to have the gear treadmill for it to be PvE. Cosmetic gear is just as rewarding for people who truly enjoy the content. YOU might not like the cosmetic gear route that ArenaNet is taking, but that doesn't mean that the game lacks PvE.

Nobody here is calling it the messiah. No video game is a messiah. :P It might be a side-game for you, but that doesn't mean that it's fact for everybody else like you're saying it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purefury View Post
    This is what i sincerely wonder about.

Its clear in WoW:
    -gear up
    -next tier/season gear up
    -next tier/season gear up

WoW is all about gear and new boss kills, or gear and new PVP seasons.

now from what im seeing GW2 is less focused on gear, especially in pvp. and dynamic events and world progress is a bit solo content that doesnt require a guild.
    while i will enjoy WvWvW and leveling etc, what will be there to do as a guild progress. what will there be to grind if you have tons of time?
    the only thing not working for me are 5mans in GW2, and im fearing that is the filler noone will enjoy long...

So, what will we do at 80, if not farming gear upgrades? or am i simply mistaken about the gear part?
    They have these cool little mini games in cap cities that are supposed to be pretty damn epic. I forget what they call them, but they sound like a pretty fun way to sink time into the game. Maybe someone can chime in with more info.

I think that public events are going to be a hit, I think they were a hit in WAR and Rift. The prob with WAR and RIFT is that once you start to level out of the newb zones, less and less people, populate the late game and you stuck running public events by yourself and one friend. IF ArenaNet can keep a healthy population glued to the later levels of the game, It could be the next best thing to sliced bread, or toaster ovens with digital displays.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Then why are you playing SC2?
    I'm not. I played it a year ago until I got bored. Now, I only sometimes launch it when I feel like it.
    And my signature? I have never removed it because I was too lazy or didn't care.

But, if I was playing it then I would be doing it for competition, ranking and progressing.

I play sports. I've played some sports since I was 5. I still play them every weekend - and it's been almost 20 years. Fun never gets boring. Boring games get boring (and need artificial incentives to keep people playing).
    I've played video games since I was 5. I still play them every day - and it's been over 20 years. Fun never gets boring. Repetition gets boring and is not fun (and needs artificial incetives to keep people doing it). Huge part of the fun is doing / learning something new.

I remember we were playing football when I was a kid. Every now and then we used to make some contests or twist the rules to make it fun. But still, we grew bored every now and then, so we were doing other stuff. Riding bikes, playing volleyball or baseball, etc.
    Those, who were playing football everyday, few hours a day, were doing it because they wanted to be professional football players. Meaning training, learning etc.
    In other words they were progressing to be the best.

Adding a smiley face to your comment doesn't make it any less of a troll/game-bashing.
    Then how am I supposed to express my negative opinion about something to not be called a troll? Please, rework my comment so that it retains its meaning and is not troll/game-bashing
    Last edited by procne; 2012-03-16 at 02:25 PM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Jeez...what on earth has happened to this thread in the hour since I checked it? o.0
    This one could turn epicly messy...

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Exactly. There is your end game. :P
    Does anyone know if there will be titles for exploration like in GW1? I spent a long of time doing cartographer of all 3 continents and I know I'll spend a lot of time in dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    They have these cool little mini games in cap cities that are supposed to be pretty damn epic. I forget what they call them, but they sound like a pretty fun way to sink time into the game. Maybe someone can chime in with more info.
    Mini-games is one of the correct terms, but the official term is Activities. I believe there will be 30 of them at release.