10/25-man vs 10/25-person

Is anyone in favor of renaming it?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't see the reason to do so?

Why do threads like this exist?

Omgman iz sexist bawwwww

Deleted
    tomato, tomato... works better when said out loud >_>.
    As far as I know, at least in Dutch it is, "man" can stand for either a male, or a group of humans. "We're raiding with 10 man" is the same as "Our team consists of 10 humans controlling their avatar in this game, in order to complete this task of saving the world of damnation."

We are not a raidgroup of 4 males and 6 females, we're all equel.

While I applaud the efforts to find the voices of the minority and in particular to find a place of honor for the unspoken voice -- i.e. what I think "real" feminism is about. I do also believe that trivial pursuits of renaming everything away from "man" into a more gender neutral "person" is ultimately what gives feminism a bad name and relegates it as nothing more than a mental exercise at small, politically correct messages.

Now, I had a wonderful religious studies professor in college who specialized in women's and gender studies and she'd admit that she didn't like the use of things like "mailman" (or anything with the root of -man) and much preferred to use the more gender neutral -person. However she also admitted that she would in no way ever attempt to force her beliefs of -person over -man on anyone in the class or world, that to do so violated our own voice.

So TL;DR - If you want to use person over man, I applaud your intention, but this is a change you need to make for yourself and hope that it catches on with others who are aware enough to see what you're doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, as in man kind. *man. You're aware 'wo'man 'hu'man

Political correctness people really do search to be insulted when there's no intent there.

Quote Originally Posted by Saveiro View Post
    tomato, tomato... works better when said out loud >_>.
    As far as I know, at least in Dutch it is, "man" can stand for either a male, or a group of humans. "We're raiding with 10 man" is the same as "Our team consists of 10 humans controlling their avatar in this game, in order to complete this task of saving the world of damnation."

We are not a raidgroup of 4 males and 6 females, we're all equel.
    While that's true in theory, it's not true historically. Yes, we use 'man' in such a way that it can often mean a biological male or female but when you look at who society thinks fulfills those roles (historically) it's almost always exclusively biological male. Scholars would argue that it's hard, if not impossible, for women to find their voice and place in a setting that society assumes is filled by a biological male.

We can, and do, observe all of this in the game we all play (WoW) - the assumption is you're male until proven otherwise and if you claim to be female, people begin filing out of the woods to share their highly inappropriate jokes and engage in rather awkward behavior.

Sure we all wish we were equal but it's simply not true - particular gender and race combinations enjoy particular advantages over others.
    Last edited by balatro; 2012-03-18 at 01:24 PM.

Deleted
    I would be in favor is it was able to become smaller than 10man as well. 10-person is more syllables and harder to say.

Is there any way to make it smaller and remove man?

edit: or equally long I guess.

if you are a PC nutjob then feel free to use the term "toon" instead of "man". its a commonly accepted name for character, and is still one sylable and only one more letter.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    I would be in favor is it was able to become smaller than 10man as well. 10-person is more syllables and harder to say.

Is there any way to make it smaller and remove man?

edit: or equally long I guess.
    This may address it but I've seen a large enough group of people using one of these variants:

10m or 25m (granted the 'm' still is for man)
    10p or 25p

or simply using the raid size number and the name of the raid (some modify it some but you get the idea):

BH10 (or 10BH)
    FL10 (or 10FL)
    etc

Deleted
    By the way, I believe I have seen a Blizzard source last year referring to it as 'person'.

10+ Year Old Account
    So 1080p means our TVs are raiding a massive 1,080 person war on our eyes?