Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Norway: Fingerprints needed to buy alcohol and tobacco.

Today I came across an article in the newspapers that "Bunnpris", a big grocery shopcompany in Norway will register fingerprints for those above 18 years old in the store, which you will need to use to buy alcohol and tobacco.

Anywhere else in the world this has been used? Thoughts?

I personally don't like it, not a big issue in itself, just think it's a step towards something fishy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't really figure what's the point of that. Are they trying to monitor the alcohol usage of individuals for some research?

Never heard of anything like this before, and I have to agree with you: It does sound fishy. Maybe I'd feel better about it if they told the public the reason for that.
    "We don't care what people say, we know the truth. Enough is enough with this horse s***. I am not a freak, I was born with my free gun. Don't tell me I'm less than my freedom."

Deleted
    In the netherlands it would be against the law to do that. Would not be surprised if EU actually forbids it. Try and look into europian/norwegian data storage laws. Those can be worded in such a way that it restricts data-storage to absolute necessities. Ofcourse in the Netherlands where the law is worded in such a way that data storage is very strict, companies break the rules anyway... stupid big public transportation companies for example.

Could you link said article please?

I could see this as not being too much of a big deal if they're using it to validate someone's ID when they forget their ID. Sort of like those discount club cards most supermarkets have these days, an opt-in system instead of a mandatory thing.

I can't think of any other reason why they would do it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmloos View Post
    In the netherlands it would be against the law to do that. Would not be surprised if EU actually forbids it. Try and look into europian/norwegian data storage laws. Those can be worded in such a way that it restricts data-storage to absolute necessities. Ofcourse in the Netherlands where the law is worded in such a way that data storage is very strict, companies break the rules anyway... stupid big public transportation companies for example.
    Remember, Norway isnt a member of EU. Also, I don't think it will reduce the amount of alcohol sold to underage people. If you are underage and want alcohol, it's not hard to get.

I think the sole purpose of this scan is just to verify your age, so you are eligible to buy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inbefore police state

Deleted
    Or everyone could just do like we did when I was younger..

Pay a bum a small sum to buy that stuff for the group. They can introduce iris scans and DNA tests but if teens what alcohol and tobacco, they will get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eace View Post
    I can't really figure what's the point of that. Are they trying to monitor the alcohol usage of individuals for some research?

Never heard of anything like this before, and I have to agree with you: It does sound fishy. Maybe I'd feel better about it if they told the public the reason for that.
    The mainidea is that they think it will reduce sales of these products to people underage and the second idea is that in these grocery shops you're able to "self-serve" at the cash register, and they want to be able to do that with these products as well.

About the others pointing to laws, the article writes about how our governmental systems have allowed it to go through.

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/a...artid=10079499

Honestly, when I was underage, I had people buy to me left and right. I didn't even realize it was so mainstream to go and buy yourself with a fake ID, in my groups of friends the past years we just had other people buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slappers View Post
    personally don't like it, not a big issue in itself, just think it's a step towards something fishy.
    It's not about stopping underaged drinking, that much should be obvious to even the most casual observer (your finger prints don't contain your age, if you have a fake ID or look old enough you will get your beer fingerprinting or not).

These big stores like to learn as much about their customers as possible, that's what the "loyalty cards" are for. They're used to tie separate purchases to the person making them. If you don't get a loyalty card, and don't pay with a card, it's impossible to learn much about you... Unless you are required to give out your fingerprint...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's way to easy to get alcohol and tobacco here in Norway already. So i for one am glad there will be some more restrictions.
    The people at stores never ask your age anyway...

If we should be worried about anything in Norway, it would be "Datalagringsdirektivet" (Data Retention Directive), now THAT's fishy for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    It's not about stopping underaged drinking, that much should be obvious to even the most casual observer (your finger prints don't contain your age, if you have a fake ID or look old enough you will get your beer fingerprinting or not).

These big stores like to learn as much about their customers as possible, that's what the "loyalty cards" are for. They're used to tie separate purchases to the person making them. If you don't get a loyalty card, and don't pay with a card, it's impossible to learn much about you... Unless you are required to give out your fingerprint...
    The plan was to reduce it, because when you were to register your fingerprint, it would be registered which employee who did it, and if it proves to be wrong later on, they'd be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Or everyone could just do like we did when I was younger..

Pay a bum a small sum to buy that stuff for the group. They can introduce iris scans and DNA tests but if teens what alcohol and tobacco, they will get it.
    Back when I was in High School, a friend of mine was a cashier at a local super market. I could buy all the beer or liquor I wanted, give him my drivers license and he would go "yep you are above age!" Not sure you can get away with that now though. There was that and another friend of mine who had an older sister who would buy the beer and liquor. That is until one day someone ratted him out he was caught with a case of Vodka among some other stuff in his pickup. One of the teachers dumped at least $200 worth of booze on the sidewalk. It was a sad day for many.
    Last edited by Drofu; 2012-03-21 at 09:20 AM.

Deleted
    Pretty damn retarded if you ask me. So the government can now track the amount of alcohol that you as an individual buy? Will there be a future database where employers might track alcohol consumption of future employees or anything?

What's next, condoms?

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    inb4 conspiracy theories and "dey took ma liberty!"

Seriously though, I don't see the problem with it - I'm all in favour of them doing whatever they can in an attempt to prevent people below the legal age purchasing and consuming alcohol. Unfortiunatly the article doesn't say much about how the system works, I'm rather curious. I'd have expected vinnmonopolet to come with something like this before bunnpris though...

--- edit ---

Quote Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
    Pretty damn retarded if you ask me. So the government can now track the amount of alcohol that you as an individual buy? Will there be a future database where employers might track alcohol consumption of future employees or anything?

What's next, condoms?
    Except it's not the governement that came up with this nor is it the governement that is implanting it.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is not illegal, as the system is not used to identify you (which would be illegal), but the system will only store ''18+ or not?''.

But for me this is a no issue case, i can easily go to other stores to buy my alcohol and tobacco there. As any responsible consumer would obviously do, if they are not happy with the services a business provided.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Deleted
    Doesn't make much sense. How could it be used to regulate alcohol sales to minors? They won't have access to any national database etc of fingerprints of either adults or under-18s.

And you've never shopped with them before and you're 62 years old? Unlucky, no tobacco for you!

Highly doubt this. Can anyone find an online source to confirm?

I live in Norway and I think it's dumb, it's easy enough to simply ask an adult to buy for you. They are not allowed to question the reasons why you buy something, even if you buy 6 cases of beer and 20 packs of cigaretts.

Seems a bit strange/useless to me - as others have mentioned, if kids want alcohol they will find ways to get it.

All that I can think of is.... OMG DEY WANT OUR IDENTITIES! Too bad America already got my Fingerprint in one of their airports(iirc). D:

Off-topic, is it just me or does anyone else think they shouldn't allow people who aren't already smokers to buy them, to stop the next generation smoking? D:
    *My whole family smokes, I'm not a hater, just seems strange if you want to burn away your money for no real relief.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-03-21 at 11:34 AM.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Harmloos View Post

Why would Norway care about the EU, when theyre not a part of it?

Norway is thinking out of the box people.

This move will create many new jobs. People to build and maintain the technology and there'll be work for many unemployed who can earn a living buying booze for minors.

Obviously restrictions liek these will never work. The only thing thatll prevent kids from drinking is by making alcohol uncool.

Dunno with the rest of the world but in Scandinavia /norway, denmark, sweden, finland there's a millennia-old tradition for over-using alcohol.... won't be easy...