Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I never gave a crap about Pokemon when I was a kid, but my friend dragged me to watch the movie when it was in theater. I liked Mewtwo, simply because he was so obviously a Frieza ripoff. And I loved Frieza!

Tentacruel
    Haunter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Whats with all the "new" pokemon... THERE ARE ONLY 150 POKEMON KK?!!

CHARIZARD
    Only if you're stuck in the past.

CHARIZARD

And a true fan of pokemon would recognize that G1 wasn't some perfect incarnation and that the series continues. Quite frankly, if the pokemon in G1 were the ones released in G3 and vice versa you would be singing a different tune about them.

Don't be blinded by nostalgia.

10+ Year Old Account

Flinchykiss for the win

Deleted
    I still don't really understand, what Pokemons are... cartoon figures?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post

And a true fan of pokemon would recognize that G1 wasn't some perfect incarnation and that the series continues. Quite frankly, if the pokemon in G1 were the ones released in G3 and vice versa you would be singing a different tune about them.

Don't be blinded by nostalgia.
    That is a very very ignorant statement. Your favorite generation isn't what makes you a true fan. As someone who loves pretty much every pokemon I feel as if the first generation is so beloved for a reason. It has iconic pokemon that had a different appeal than say digimon and as time has gone by that has changed a bit as all things must.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably Oddish or Poliwag

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Gotta go with my bro Mewtwo

Serperior, Seviper, Haunter, Raichu, Absol, Umbreon, Murkrow and his evo, and Froslass are all pretty much tied for second for me.
    Last edited by Kokiron; 2012-03-21 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsumata View Post
    That is a very very ignorant statement. Your favorite generation isn't what makes you a true fan. As someone who loves pretty much every pokemon I feel as if the first generation is so beloved for a reason. It has iconic pokemon that had a different appeal than say digimon and as time has gone by that has changed a bit as all things must.
    Any generation can be a person's favorite. Skelington couldn't care less which one people love the most. Saying that ones after G1 shouldn't even be recognized is far more ignorant, in addition to the constant implications that G1 was the most creative, when they do nothing different in creating the subsequent. There's more to it than people's opinions on what is creative or not, because every argument regarding a G1's creativity can be directly applied to that of a G2-5 without so much as changing the wording.

People wear their pretty rosy nostalgia goggles and claim that pokemon sucks because it isn't G1. And that is why G1 is so beloved, because of nostalgia. Yes, Skelington loves it too. Most of his favorites come from it. He does not deny that it has flaws, and he does not condemn other generations. It's like saying that the gameplay in R/B is the best, when, quite frankly, it is easily the worst. It wasn't a bad game; some of his fondest memories come from it. But you can only get so far deifying broken gameplay, 8bit beepy tracks, and the clearly overwhelming creativity that is G1 pokemon appearances.

Imagine all the hate the pure nostalgia folks have for G5. Now what if the pokemon in G5 were actually the ones in G1 and the ones in G1 were actually released in G5? It would be the exact same thing. People blindly praising the G"1" because they came first, and condemning the G"5" for coming last. Emboar would be receive the love that Charizard does, and Charizard would receive little.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-03-21 at 06:19 AM.

Any generation can be a person's favorite. Skelington couldn't care less which one people love the most. Saying that ones after G1 shouldn't even be recognized is far more ignorant, in addition to the constant implications that G1 was the most creative, when they do nothing different in creating the subsequent. There's more to it than people's opinions on what is creative or not, because every argument regarding a G1's creativity can be directly applied to that of a G2-5 without so much as changing the wording.

People wear their pretty rosy nostalgia goggles and claim that pokemon sucks because it isn't G1. And that is why G1 is so beloved, because of nostalgia. Yes, Skelington loves it too. Most of his favorites come from it. He does not deny that it has flaws, and he does not condemn other generations. It's like saying that the gameplay in R/B is the best, when, quite frankly, it is easily the worst. It wasn't a bad game; some of his fondest memories come from it. But you can only get so far deifying broken gameplay, 8bit beepy tracks, and the clearly overwhelming creativity that is G1 pokemon appearances.

Imagine all the hate the pure nostalgia folks have for G5. Now what if the pokemon in G5 were actually the ones in G1 and the ones in G1 were actually released in G5? It would be the exact same thing. People blindly praising the G"1" because they came first, and condemning the G"5" for coming last. Emboar would be receive the love that Charizard does, and Charizard would receive little.
    I'm not so sure about the Emboar one, as he looks goofy no matter what Didn't stop me from picking him as a starter though. Also, in many cases, I'd take 8bit tracks over current Poke-music; that's not really an undisputed improvement. Agreed with the rest though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    I'm not so sure about the Emboar one, as he looks goofy no matter what Didn't stop me from picking him as a starter though. Also, in many cases, I'd take 8bit tracks over current Poke-music; that's not really an undisputed improvement. Agreed with the rest though.
    Well, yea, maybe not Emboar... Serperior mayhaps...?
    But with Emboar it could be like "Look at that majestic pig-man encrusted with symbolic asian literature and myth! Now that's a pokemon!"
    Then comes along Charizard: "lol it's just a generic dragon and it's not even a dragon type!"
    Or Venusaur: "what do you even do?! You're just a... plant... shut up man."

And, yea, a lot of the tracks were pretty fun/good. But some of them hurt Skelington's head. :/ They are too beepy and 8bity!

But you get the point.

Well, yea, maybe not Emboar... Serperior mayhaps...?
    But with Emboar it could be like "Look at that majestic pig-man encrusted with symbolic asian literature and myth! Now that's a pokemon!"
    Then comes along Charizard: "lol it's just a generic dragon and it's not even a dragon type!"
    Or Venusaur: "what do you even do?! You're just a... plant... shut up man."

And, yea, a lot of the tracks were pretty fun/good. But some of them hurt Skelington's head. :/ They are too beepy and 8bity!

But you get the point.
    Screw Lavender Town. RBY had the best and the worst music.

Deleted
    Weezing, cause he was actually one of the better pokemon back in Blue/Red

Deleted
    I'll jump on the Charizard wagon, been my favorite ever since I got Pokémon Blue as a kid (I know, it should have been red, but that was the one my parents gave me).

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsumata View Post
    And saying other gens don't exist isn't ignorant?

Saying that ones after G1 shouldn't even be recognized is far more ignorant, in addition to the constant implications that G1 was the most creative, when they do nothing different in creating the subsequent. There's more to it than people's opinions on what is creative or not, because every argument regarding a G1's creativity can be directly applied to that of a G2-5 without so much as changing the wording.
    I have favorites from all the generations so far, but an overwhelming majority of them come from G1 and G2.

R/B/Y/G play like crap compared to the games nowadays, though I honestly like the music better than most of the current. I like feel the new games' soundtracks are trying so hard to be more complex and make use of the Nintendo DS's more advanced audio capabilities. It's like some composer is sitting there listening to the original soundtrack and going "we're not going to do THAT again" and goes and slaps layer upon layer onto these complicated arrangements for the sake of making them sound fancier than the originals.

I put a heck of a lot of time and love into playing every new generation, and despite all that, I can still hum more tracks from G1 alone than I can from all other generations combined. Players spend most of the game engaged in combat, and I still can't remember any battle themes beyond G1. I can only vividly remember a few themes from G2-G5, my favorites being the legendary lake trio theme, distortion world, and giratina's theme (it grew on me after the ~11,000th time I engaged Giratina while trying to get a shiny - I did! I was so happy!).

Anyways, besides that, I liked how they depicted the original monsters in G1 with the limited space they were given. Yes, the graphics sucked by today's standards and the artists had a very limited space to fit the sprites into, but the resulting deformation made them feel like actual monsters. It was kind of a quirky and unique style. They have big heads, sometimes ridiculous faces, strange proportions, and many of them have creepy soulless eyes. Pokemon in G1 were still supposed to be intelligent creatures, but more in the way that they understand human speech and have basic emotions. Now they're less like monsters and more like adult humans stuck in a creature's body. They have personalities, likes and dislikes, and think at a scarily advanced level. The newer legendaries aren't just powerful creatures, they're frigging deities with agendas.

Of course, I'll still play and enjoy any new games they come out with, but I kind of miss having a loyal little team of killer critters that mindlessly follow my commands to step on helpless little kids' caterpies and crush their cute little dreams of greatness. Nowadays, pokemon are liable to talk back to you. :P

EDIT: What's wrong with Blue? Nothing, that's what! Don't hate on blue!
    Last edited by Arrowspace; 2012-03-21 at 05:58 PM.