Baffling Illness Strikes Africa, Turns Children Into Violent "Zombies"

World Health Organization is on high alert about new Ugandan outbreak, cause is not fully known

It's called the "nodding disease" and it's a baffling illness that has struck thousands of children in northern Uganda. The illness brings on seizures, violent behavior, personality changes, and a host of other unusual symptoms.

I. Violent and Mindless: Child Victims Have no Cure, no Future

Grace Lagat, a northern Uganda native, is mother of two children -- Pauline Oto and Thomas -- both of whom are victims of the disease. For their safety, when she leaves the house, she now ties them up, using fabric like handcuffs. She recalls, "When I am going to the garden, I tie them with cloth. If I don't tie them I come back and find that they have disappeared."

Reportedly the children gnaw at their fabric restraints, like a rabid animals -- or "zombies" of popular fiction -- in an attempt to escape.

The effort to restrain the children is not unwarranted. In one of the most bizarre symptoms of this tragic illness, children with the disease are reportedly setting fire to buildings in their communities. Coupled with the aimless wandering this disease provokes in victims, this is a deadly combination. More than 200 people have been killed in fires believed to be set by the zombified children.

The disease is not new. It popped up in the 1960s in Sudan. From there it slowly spread to Libya and Tanzania.

The Uganda infections, though, are a new outbreak -- a troubling sign. The jump into a new region could be pure coincidence, or it could indicate the disease has become more virulent or found a new transmissions vector.

Infected children typically have regular seizures, which are proceeded by a repetitive nodding of the head. This characteristic symptom has given rise to the unofficial title for the malady.

II. World Medical Organizations Racing for a Cure

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) have been tracking the spread of this frightening ailment. Dr. Joaquin Saweka says the scene in Uganda is horrific, stating, "It was quite desperate, I can tell you. Imagine being surrounded by 26 children and 12 of them showing signs of this. The attitude was to quickly find a solution to the problem."

Yet the WHO and CDC are not fully sure what is causing the illness, which cripples children and turns them into mindless, violence-prone zombies. The best clue they have is that most of the cases occur in regions inhabited by "Black flies", which carry the parasitic worm Onchocerca Volvulus. That worm is responsible for another dangerous disease dubbed "river blindness", the world's second leading cause of infectious blindness.

However 7 percent of infected children live in regions not inhabited by the Black fly, so a link is speculative at best.

Children with the disease also frequently exhibit vitamin B6 deficiency, leading medical experts to believe that the disease may be nutrition related. However, infections by microbes, parasites, fungi, or even fungi/microbes carried by a parasitic host, can all lead to nutritional deficiencies.

Dr. Scott Dowell, director of global disease detection and emergency response at CDC, says the race is on to determine the cause and a cure. He states, "At first we cast the net wide. We ruled out three dozen potential causes and we are working on a handful of probabilities. We know from past experience an unknown disease could end up having more global implications."

In the current cases children as old as 19 have been found to be stricken, with the majority of the worst symptoms being spread over the 3-11 age range.

One mystery surrounding the disease is the seizures themselves. While typically seizures are either randomly occurring or follow some singular cue/pattern, the nodding disease seems to have multiple triggers, including eating new foods, changing weather, and other changes.

Seizure often leave the children soiled with urine and drooling. Local nurses are afraid to touch the infected. States local nurse Elupe Petua, "I feel, because I don't know what causes it, I don't even know how it transmits, when I touch them I feel that I can also get the infection because I don't know what causes it."

III. Medication is Ineffective

Anti-epileptic medication slows the onset of symptoms, but is unable to stop the progression of the disease. The seizures eventually leave many children unable to walk, only able to drag their bodies along the ground as flies tried to attack them.

The government of Uganda has come under criticism for not being vocal enough in addressing the tragedy and demanding foreign aid/research expertise. Local politicians have taken to transporting victims from affected villages by bus to city hospitals in order to force the issue into the eyes of the more affluent city-dwellers.

The issue is yet another woe for a nation in which the impoverished majority was terrorized for years by warlord Jospeph Kony's militia, dubbed the "Lord's Resistance Army."

Mr. Kony is currently wanted by the International Criminal Court on multiple counts of violent war crimes, including rape and murder. These offenses are punishable by death, if he is ever brought to trial.

IV. What if the "Nodding Disease" Found a Way to Reach the U.S.?

Dr. Saweka says that for all the hand-waving by the government about using better anti-epileptics and offering more funding, he appreciates and shares in the villagers frustration. He states, "People complain that it looks like the lives in developing countries have less value than the lives in the western countries. When you know the root cause, you address the cure. Now you are just relieving the symptoms. We don't expect to cure anybody."

While the "First World" may not be focused on -- or even aware of -- the zombification that is leaving children in these African nations violent, crippled shells of their former selves -- tied like dogs -- it is an issue that must be addressed. After all, viruses, bacteria, parasites thanks to the wonders of evolution can mutate and adapt to new environments and new transmission vectors.

Thus this zombie virus may seem like a foreign issue to regions like the U.S. and EU who are struggling with their own financial crisises. But if the illness finds a way to broaden its spread, this "zombie" outbreak could cripple the globe.
    Source

You guys got your wish. So zombies are real after all?

Deleted
    What an age we live in!

First thing that came to my mind was Resident Evil 5.

Deleted
    So it has begun....

We need to make our zombie apocalypse plans now!

Seriously though, sounds horrible.

Deleted
    Resident Evil 5 right there yo.

Sounds nasty.

Deleted
    well those nukes will come in handy now

Someone makes a video about Joseph Kony in Uganda stealing children. A couple weeks later a news article about an outbreak afflicting children in Uganda.

Maybe it is just a coincidence, ya?

Also, if it was from the 1960's, why are we hearing about it now?

Edit: In the current cases children as old as 19 have been found to be stricken, with the majority of the worst symptoms being spread over the 3-11 age range.

Well I guess I am too old to be a zombie.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MmoFanatic View Post
    well those nukes will come in handy now
    That's so wrong.....

At least it targets small kids. I find little children annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    That's so wrong.....

At least it targets small kids. I find little children annoying.
    But lets say all but only a handful of children in the world get it while the rest die off. That would mean the handful of kids would be treated as natural treasures. Which in turn would give them power, power to be more annoying than any child today can manage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    So it has begun....

We need to make our zombie apocalypse plans now!

Seriously though, sounds horrible.
    Eh, you haven't made your plans yet? Lol, rookie.

Seriously though: Sounds kinda cool to be honest, but I couldn't find anything about it on WHO after a real quick search - would love if somebody could find anything about it and link it

This isn't a new thing that just "struck", it's been around for a while... I think I read they think it could be transmitted by mosquitos in the area...

There hasn't been much research as it only affects a small area globally speaking, and that area is very poor so the market for a treatment would be limited.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    So it has begun....

We need to make our zombie apocalypse plans now!.
    what ?!? you did not do that already ? well tough luck you're not getting my canned cat food
    *reloads shotgun*

/serious mode : give it 5 months and they will have a cure .... it wont go to the peeps that need it though !

*smashs emergency Zombie Apocalypse plans open*

1. ???
    2. Profit

Damn it >_>

Quote Originally Posted by ico View Post
    what ?!? you did not do that already ? well tough luck you're not getting my canned cat food
    *reloads shotgun*

/serious mode : give it 5 months and they will have a cure .... it wont go to the peeps that need it though !
    5 months? The article said its been around since the sixties.

This is the year guys, 2012!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Brb

*starts field stripping his shotgun*
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Where's my gun, need to kill zombies.

On a seriius note. This sounds horrible.
    I hope the medicine/heath departement helps the children and the population asap.

That's pretty creepy and messed up, though it also makes me realise just how lucky I am to live in a country that thankfully isn't afflicted by such horrible and terrifying diseases. I just really, really hope there's no one crazy enough to turn these horrific diseases into weapons. As harsh as it sounds, it's probably better if the afflicted are put down - especially if there's no cure - if there's ever a major risk of it spreading beyond the currently blighted regions.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leon Kennedy, or Chris Redfield?

Choices...

10+ Year Old Account
    Time to find a nuclear bunker to hide in..