Page 63 of 80 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Gamer. Guild Leader. Raid Leader. Tank. YouTuber. I do it all, and I love it!
    Never attribute to malice what is explained by incompetence. You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership.

Twitter: @BrutallStatic | YouTube: BrutallStatic | Twitch: BrutallStatic | Patreon: How YOU Can Contribute

Well this is a change of pace, starting the week witha good game for once and not utter shit. This was actually the first F-zero game I was ever exposed to when i was little. I never was never really into racing games outside of Mario Kart when I was younger, most of the oens on the snes were all kinds of bad or went to ahrdcore into the realism for my tastes. I preferred crazy, off the wall racers. This, Mario Kart and episode 1 racer were the only racing games I owned for the n64, I know that limits my tastes a bit, but no reviewer is without bias (Also I was poor back then and not even out of HS yet).

Firstly, F-Zero X Is not as complex model wise as other racing games at the time. Wipeout and its look alikes were typically much better looking games in the model department. However, Where F Zero X lacks in the model complexity department it makes up for in the sheer amount of activity due to numbers of vehicles on the track. At any given time there are 29 other vehicles on the track (maybe a few less, some die real fast) racing against you or flat out trying to kill you.

The ingame tracks can be downright devious in terms of design, some of them have half pipes, or missing rails and even parts where you can fly off the track of you don't orient yourself correctly on them (Leading to some frustrating and amusing deatsh depending on the situation). Theres also no misjudging things on the track or a turn as the game is exceptionally generous with turns on most stages and all the opposing racers are colorful and stand out. (The colors also add to the games sense of speed).

In terms of music well, it's hit or miss. Some people like rock and roll and metal while others prefer to stay away with it and prefer something far less manyly. Like say Justin Beiber or Barneys sing along, these people are obviously deluded and if you know someone like this you should have them commited. This game is Metal enough and those that say otherwise are just wrong.

I do have some minor gripes with the game. Some of the vehicles have strange stat lines, some of them having much more weight to them than what they actually look like. The controls are reasonably tight, but just a few vehicles require getting used to as they just don't feel like they look.

My other gripe is how sparse the mode selection is. You have the standards such as Grand Prix, Time Attack, VS and Practice but aside from Death Race; the game really could use a couple more modes.

While on the subject of Deathrace mode, I also find it fairly shallow mechanically. There is only a single map for this mode and the game really needed more maps and hazards for this kind of thing. Even in multiplayer once you get down to just a few racers it can take forever to finish. It's fun for a little bit, but quickly loses it's luster once you realize how shallow and repetitive it is.

Aside from those gripes I recommend this game whole heartedly. The sense of speed, the quirky tracks and colorful vehicles all make for an amusing game. It may not be as good as mario Kart 64; not by a long shot, but it's still well worth having in your library.

Gallop Racer (PS1)

Huh, look at that, another racing game came up for review RIGHT after F-zero X. This time hoewver, it's all about muscle power...the muscle power of equine family animals anyways. Gallop Racr is something of an anomoly in my opinion. The age group/regional demographic for watching horse racing is typically not the kind of group that would overlap with gaming. I mean, I'm sure there are folks out there that like horse racing games; I'm not one of them , but to each his own.

I may not exactly like the game, but I can see that it's at least semi- competent at what it does.

I would first like to point out that the horses themselves look amazing for a PS1 game. The move act and move like real horses and the texture work is really good(for a ps1 game). However I cannot say the same for everything else in the game. The jockeys look really dated, like they were made to be base models for a 32x game. The tracks are also kind of bland, but then again I kind of expected that, horse racing has to be kept simple for the animals sake as well as the jockeys; but thisis a video game, they could throw maybe a jump or 3 into a couple tracks.

The sound isn't anything to write home about either. I noticed very few horse sounds during my play time with the game and the music that goes with the game really doesn't build up the tempo.

The controls are very spot on however, guages are easy to understand and your horse have very definite limits to its stamina. Also the Colt/Filly/Mare/Stallion controls like a real horse would. Horses are 1200lbs of charging equine and they do not like to take on turns that are too sharp or generally move like a car would. They behave exactly like a real horse would, kind of slowly (Which is fine since all the racing is mostly stright lines anyhow).

There is also a breeding system in the game, but sadly because of being short on time I really didn't get a chance to mess around with it.

Probably my biggest gripe with the game is a lack of a tutorial mode to teach you things about gating, proper horse pacing, where horses liek to be in the pack and temperment. Things I kinda need to know to make a sound selection when buying my first horse. I also don't like how you can't just enter a race from the race selection and have to go back and jump around weeks until it pops up. I guess it's there for running multiple horses, but it's more fickle than it needs to be.

I can't say I really enjoyed this game much while playing it off camera, but I realize that just becuase I find the idea of horse racing kind of boring doesn't mean that it's not entertaining to those that do and I at least understand the game is fair at what it does mechanically.

Not my cup of tea, but maybe it is yours.

- - - Updated - - -

Treasure Master Review (nes)

Not too much to say(write) about todays game other than it was basically made to shill and support a contest. Saying the above would be the easy way out though and I'll be damned if people start calling me lazy.

If I could quantify everything this game represents in just a few words it would be "90's Marketing gone wrong". I can understand companies making contests, nintendo did it frequently in the late 80s and early 90s, but Treasure? I never even heard of a game they made and judging from this game I can reason why.

The game is a directionless, confusing, poorly tossed together trainwreck of a game. Imagine if a company sold you a crappier version of Mckids for 60$, then asked you to call a 1-900 number (another 5$ easily) to register and give them your address so they can send you a date when a special code would be given.

The code in question was show a couple times very briefly on MTV and if you didn't have cable, well, you got fucked son. Welcome to how the economy works. THEN you have to hope you have properly working VCR (it's a ancient recording device for you kiddies), a tape to record with and have the sense not to put the recording on standard play.

Now you have to speed run the game AND a level you have never even seen and send in your best run post dated within a 1 day area of the code being sent out.

Yeah, it's one of THOSE kinds of deals. It's kind of like those silly quizzes you would occasionally see in EGM or Gamepro with 30 questions that require a 10$ entry fee each time and you ahve to complete 5 of them to MAYBE get a 2000$ entertainment center (which I never heard of anyone ever winning one of those.)

This may be a lesser exampe, but it should infuriate anyone. They are selling you a bad game to sell you a bad contest so they can make even more money off entry fees and the 1-900 number.

Wait...I just realized something. That sounds oddly like games set up to sell DLC. Huh, look at that, someone sold DLC in the form of a contest before the internet even existed (BTW this is satire, I know its different, it's intentional hyperbole kids.).

Anyway, avoid. You will get far more enjoyment out of backhanding yourself.

Never attribute to malice what is explained by incompetence. You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership.

Twitter: @BrutallStatic | YouTube: BrutallStatic | Twitch: BrutallStatic | Patreon: How YOU Can Contribute

Overwatch - McCree & Zarya (Pax East 2015 Update)

McCree + Zarya & Watchpoint: Gibraltar update from Overwatch @ Pax East 2015.
    http://eu.battle.net/overwatch/en/

Typically I'm not a fan of clone games, far too often do you get games that are just reskins of more popular existing games. However, while Brawhalla may look like Smash brothers and has some of the same mechanics, it's just different enough to not be a clone in my book;for better or for worse.

Brawlhalla is a 4 player online/local multi-player indie game that is basically smash brothers boiled down to it's most basic components(beta is beta). Do damage to others to get them in the yellow or red, then kock them off the stage for a point. One with the most points at the end wins.

From a graphical and design standpoint, the game is very good looking. The fighters in game gush personality everywhere, they are all very colorful and well animated. There's something for everybody, anything from a one eyed alien to a cyberpunk gunner. If I have one issue with the graphics is that the stages are a little sparse on the activity. Maybe a few birds here and there, a unicorn in the backround, Thor backhanding Loki; soemthing to add a little more flavor to the stages.

Next up is sound; it's pretty good and sets the mood for every battle fairly well. Sound effect could use a little bit more fine tuning as punches and kicks sound like I'm hitting a bag of rice sometimes or full plate wearing characters do not make an audible clang when I slam them into the ground, little things like that.

Next up, controls and options (and netcode, I'll get to that in a moment). The options menu, needs work. A couple of sound sliders and a fullscreen on/off is not a good menu to work with. The game defualts to your desktop resolution, but switching it to windowed soemtiems makes the entire game vanish to a small window in the bottom corner (Mostly on widescreen setups). Controls are fine for the most part, though I have two minor issues with them; no gamepad rebindable buttons or an attack cancel; the latter of which can cripple a heavy character.

As for the gameplay; I feel there are a few issues that need ironed out. Firstly the game seems to have 3 weight classes; though only 2 seemed to be implemented correctly. An example is in order. All the fast characters in game have low defense and all the high defense characters are really slow moving. Those 2 modles are almostr balanced correctly; the slower oens are harder to knock off the stage and the faster ones are harder to hit (though I say the slower oens need to be harder to knock off by a small bit).

Then you have the middle stat range characters like the viking or armoed knight. Bother seem to fall into soem kinda medium catagory but both function as if they are heavy. On the flip side you have couple other 'mediums' that act more like light characters. It's as if they passes some kind of arbitary stat line that turns them from one class to another. This is kind of a minor issue , but could be irone dout a bit.

I also found a few minor balance issues, mainly the rocket/steam powered giant lance. Not only can you use it as a 4th jump, but the hit arc on the front side is massive and the recovery time after such an attack is a bit too small. It's not too much a bane for the lighter fighters, but is absolutely lethal for the heavier combatants.

I would also liek to see a bit more variation in each character, maybe a bit more personality behind some special atatcks they have at a later date. Although this is a personal preference as mechanically the combat is(mostly) sound and such a thing could ruin that balance.

Lastly I find the jumping to be a little on the predictable side; meaning edge camping could be a potential issues in the future.

However, even with the minor issues the game has (Such as folks having connection issues in places like North Dakota...sucks to be you guy) It's stil a blast to play. With so few good brawling games on pc, let alone one with local AND online multiplayer I can't not recommend this game. Most of what is does is mechanically sound and it's still in beta, meaning it can only get better.

One more thing, the game is friggin free. Yeah, you heard me FREE. You can sign up for beta on the games forum for a steam key and most likely get one. If you like the game, theres cosmetic stuff you can buy or just buy a founders pack for 10$ or so and get a bunch of stuff at discount.

I whole heartedly recommend youze mugs at least try the game. Worst case the only thing you wasted was time.

My first impressions (gameplay in 1080p 60fps) on Hektor the Psychosis based First Person Horror Game (Steam)

Late gameplay vid of the tactical combat in the new Sid Meirer's Starships game if anyone is interested in how it plays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wocky is back. Discusses why he has been MIA for 3 months, discusses his RL fears, introduces his Patreon Page.

Last edited by theWocky; 2015-03-15 at 09:04 PM.

Let me Try - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas (PC Game on Steam)

My first impressions (gameplay in 1080p 60fps) on Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas the Action Adventure Role Playing Game (RPG)
    This is the PC version on Steam.

Leyzar

So, how do you take a PC classic and cut it down to fit on a 3 megabyte snes cart? To be fair, you kinda don't, but syndicate nearly gets all right. Nearly.

Firsty the obvious cuts: There is no way in hell the Snes could handle the sprite detail of the pc version, so you redo all the sprites in game to be a bit more animu/simple looking.

Next step is cutting down the sound and that's done (sadly) by significantly cutting down on the tracks you port over. Quality isn't bad, but the amount of tracks is now barebones.

Next up is interface. Well, Mario paint didn't exist yet so you have to translate pc controls into a gamepad; in a semi mangled manner that is a pain in the ass to learn when you don't own the game guide.

Lastly you gut the content on a mechanical level...wait, what?

You see, the first 3 I can forgive. I can even tolerate cutting down the total stages a bit more, but removing much of the management mechanics makes the game feel more like a poor mans shooter than the tactical game syndicate was on the PC.

There was an exceptional game here at some point, but some design decisions in an attempt to save space begin to detract from the entire experience. You see fit to strip down the game mechanically, but leave around 400kb in FMV files in the game (mind you some of them are compressed really well)? Why exactly?

400kb back in the old snes days was a huge amount of working space. And for what? A few blurry moments of after mission glory?

The game isn't terrible on a fuctional level. It's incredibly stripped down on every level, but still very playable. However, it's one of those games that could have been so much better if just a few things were different.

Minor things like when it came out (Compression tech was better later on in the SNES's lifespan), data allocation (a few less stages and remove the crappy FMV) and budget could have propelled this game from just average to the level that certain other snes classics enjoy.

Sadly the game is nothing more than a footnote in gaming history, a never was that could have been a contender. Still decent, but will leave you wishing for more.

I made myself sad bzzzt I must now buy more Coke. See you later random gaming consumers, please buy more Coke. Or else.

Deleted
    Hey folks! First attempts into lets plays here - BLOODBORNE!

Had massive trouble with the father in the graveyard today, check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn1...lOQ8T4mM623HDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cren-OWudM

Cantorus Plays: Hearthstone - Blackrock Mountain Part 1 "Dog Pile!"

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Hearthstone - Blackrock Mountain Part 2 "Ah who let him in?!"

Hearthstone - Blackrock Mountain Part 3 "Trogg No Stupid!"

Cantorus Plays: Hearthstone - Blackrock Mountain Part 4 "Math is hard..."

Cantorus Plays: Hearthstone - Blackrock Mountain Part 5 "I'm the bomb"