Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Do PVP noobs like it?

The thing with WoWs PVP is that even if you suck at it, it can still be fun...for a while.
    So do people who suck like TORs PVP?

(Talking about BGs/WZs not OWPVP)

I don't, the only char I do PVP on is my merc cos I can just run around and derp on ppl with TM.

The mechanics in TOR are poor. Everyone having a knockback isn't too inventive. It isn't as smooth as warcraft, and wow has some flawed aspects, but by god DR is much better in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is my opinion that people that are less skilled in PvP cannot be carried in ToR WZ's like they can be carried in a WoW BG. So they cry out "poor mechanics" and run back to World of Homoginization while complaining about every class getting a knockback in ToR. Does this answer your question?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Part of the problem is that players want to have a team deathmatch in literally every warzone. If your team is not focusing on the objectives you're going to do shite, simple as that. If players can overcome their inclination to join the zerg and just mash buttons they will do better otherwise they won't enjoy these games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Part of the problem is that players want to have a team deathmatch in literally every warzone. If your team is not focusing on the objectives you're going to do shite, simple as that. If players can overcome their inclination to join the zerg and just mash buttons they will do better otherwise they won't enjoy these games.
    Very true, especially in Huttball.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yes. God forbid everyone has access to a stun, interrupt and knockback. God forbid players have to count on skill and intelligence than just Thunderfluffybunny someone off of Lumber Mill.

Try to keep the language family friendly - Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-03-21 at 11:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaul View Post
    The thing with WoWs PVP is that even if you suck at it, it can still be fun...for a while.
    So do people who suck like TORs PVP?

(Talking about BGs/WZs not OWPVP)

I don't, the only char I do PVP on is my merc cos I can just run around and derp on ppl with TM.
    No, just no. Stop trolling.

But anyway, if you're just spamming TM, any good player will dominate you. In this game, you can shit on bad players. Also, with ranked WZs coming, the ranked gear will be easier to get, so the field will be even gearwise, the only different will be team makeup and skill. The gear requiring rank will only be cosmetic differences, no stats changes from what I am aware. It's one thing that bothered me about was gear differences between player and PVE gear that slipped through the crack and made certain classes dominate in PVP.

The amount of CC in this game can get frustrating, but the system in place works for the most part. It's very easy for bad players to completely fill the resolve bar of someone and fuck themselves. You should spread out your CCs on someone.

This game's pvp is good and in 1.2 is gonna be way better.

I enjoy SWTOR, but I honestly feel like WoW PVP actually requires more 'skill'. The PVP in SWTOR to me feels very gimmicky at times, with far too much emphasis on knockbacks and environmental hazards. You know those players in WoW that camp Lumber Mill in AB or the middle in Eye of the Storm just to blow people off a cliff, this game is a dream come true for them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cereyeth View Post
    I enjoy SWTOR, but I honestly feel like WoW PVP actually requires more 'skill'. The PVP in SWTOR to me feels very gimmicky at times, with far too much emphasis on knockbacks and environmental hazards. You know those players in WoW that camp Lumber Mill in AB or the middle in Eye of the Storm just to blow people off a cliff, this game is a dream come true for them.
    When people go to use knockbacks on me i put my back to a wall, or move so i wont be knocked into the hazard, the same way in wow i turn a hunter so he disengages up a hill, know how to work with the knockbacks and its not much of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    The mechanics in TOR are poor. Everyone having a knockback isn't too inventive. It isn't as smooth as warcraft, and wow has some flawed aspects, but by god DR is much better in WoW.
    I don't get this reasoning that pvp sucks because of knockbacks. I play an OP and a PT, neither of which have a knockback and I do fine in pvp. If you know how to position yourself so that the knockback has minimal impact.

Warzones run smooth for me, I don't get the lag that some mention. If you do, perhaps you should try the PTS for 1.2, a few issues have been fixed on it.

I don't have issues with the DR and resolve. If you understand how it works (eg don't stun ball carriers and fill their resolve, wait for a grapple or a knockback) it works fine.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    As someone who hated what PvP in WoW had become and hated arenas, I absolutely love TOR's PvP. Don't ask me why. I wouldn't be able to list the exact reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalek View Post
    I don't get this reasoning that pvp sucks because of knockbacks. I play an OP and a PT, neither of which have a knockback and I do fine in pvp. If you know how to position yourself so that the knockback has minimal impact.

Warzones run smooth for me, I don't get the lag that some mention. If you do, perhaps you should try the PTS for 1.2, a few issues have been fixed on it.

I don't have issues with the DR and resolve. If you understand how it works (eg don't stun ball carriers and fill their resolve, wait for a grapple or a knockback) it works fine.
    Knockbacks are a joke and easily avoidable, I played a marauder and would shit on all the knockback kids. It's that all of the people have the SAME mechanic. And resolve isn't that good of a mechanic.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oddly enough I found the first month of warzones to be very gimmicky with guys knocking you into the poison or fire in hutball or using their grappling hooks. Now I honestly can't remember the last time I had that used on me, could be my playstyle has changed to counter this from happening or it is being used less. I still use a well timed knockback to kill a team standing by a flame pillar but I don't use it in 1v1's any longer for a quick kill.

Deleted
    At first it seems gimmicky: During Huttball it is grappling / stun / knockback galore, and it feels weird cause in the end that's the only thing you'll end up seeing. But then as you progress you learn which classes have such abilities, and you learn to counter them, to position yourself better in order not to be abused by it (or on the contrary to abuse it if it suits you and advantages you). In the end it adds a lot of depth to the game, and frankly i'm loving it.

During Alderaan for exemple and Voidstar, clever use of stun / snare / los and stuff can help you cap points without having to just kill the enemy who is defending the point. And that makes the whole experience much more enjoyable imo.

Now when starting, you'll feel like you're chain stunned / chain kicked / chain kb-snared and it can be aggravating.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by robotsdontcry View Post
    During Alderaan for exemple and Voidstar, clever use of stun / snare / los and stuff can help you cap points without having to just kill the enemy who is defending the point. And that makes the whole experience much more enjoyable imo.
    Took awhile to break my habit of opening out of stealth with an attack but sometimes in those warzones a CC makes for a far better use of a sneak attack and a quick cap than anything else.

They dont like it.They rage and troll on forums instead of learning basic stuff like how to avoid pushbacks , exploring most weak and strongest sides of their classes , getting rid of their poor pvp vision they acquired from their old mmo's. Some of them play tor less then 2 weeks and go back to their old mmo's and they think they are enjoying their old mmos while you can't move while you are stunned is spammed on their screen.

I'm a very good PvP player in pretty much any kind of game, and I don't like it very much in SWTOR. MMO PvP is bad in general, due to class and faction imbalances and the obvious fact that the games weren't designed with PvP as the top priority, but SW is significantly worse than WoW. It's probably more balanced, but not necessarily in a good way.

For an MMO, it has potential though, I'll give it that. I think if there was more incentive for players to roll Republic, and even out the faction populations a bit, that would help tremendously because it would remove the need for same faction BGs. But I don't see this happening for a long time. It took years and an overpowered Human racial for enough people to go Alliance on WoW to even out the population a bit, but Horde is still the PvP faction in most peoples' eyes, much like Empire will likely always be. This was a predicted problem long before release.

As I said though, it has potential. For one thing, fixing the PC framerate and lag issues that seem to plague PvP instances would help a ton for a lot of people. I run the game fairly smoothly in most areas, unless there are too many people around in the Fleet, but I have high latency and framerate issues in the BGs a lot of the time that makes it nearly unplayable for a melee. Also, there are way too many knockbacks. Or rather, they're too easily abused. The bridges on Voidstar, or the entire map of Huttball, etc, are way too abusive for knockbacks. If the maps were more like Alderran, it wouldn't be a big deal. Plus there just aren't enough BGs in general, but that's certainly forgivable since the game just came out. The bigger issue is faction imbalance.

Little things like that keep the game from being as good as it could be. I don't think they would have much trouble optimizing the game a bit better to run BGs more smoothly on more systems, but I don't see how they'll possibly fix the population issues. Those are the two biggest problems. Server only PvP was a terrible idea from the start, but from my understanding they're adding cross server soon, so maybe that will help a little. The other things I mentioned, such as the knockbacks, are annoying, but they wouldn't stop me from enjoying the game if the other two issues weren't a factor.

I thoroughly enjoy pvp in swtor, and hate it in wow. Maybe its cos I concentrate on the objectives, and not on "omg must get 25+ kills without dying" rubbish like in wow. Achievements like that killed wow pvp imo, as people go for those and ignore winning. People are starting to realise this in swtor, and are actually playing to win. Which makes wz's far more entertaining and challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Ap0calypse View Post
    I thoroughly enjoy pvp in swtor, and hate it in wow. Maybe its cos I concentrate on the objectives, and not on "omg must get 25+ kills without dying" rubbish like in wow. Achievements like that killed wow pvp imo, as people go for those and ignore winning. People are starting to realise this in swtor, and are actually playing to win. Which makes wz's far more entertaining and challenging.
    Yeah I didn't like the lack of KB stats at first (I've always been a dominating KD *****) but I've grown fond of it. It's silly for an MMO to track them anyway, since some classes are inherently better at getting them than others. Taking away those stats makes assists the new kills, promoting teamwork and people focusing more on the objective. If only all games didn't track KD, or at least didn't visualize it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    As someone who hated what PvP in WoW had become and hated arenas, I absolutely love TOR's PvP. Don't ask me why. I wouldn't be able to list the exact reasons.
    This. I loved PVP in Vanilla WoW, and I love it now in TOR. Probably because of the team based / objective based type of gameplay.

I also actually like all the knockback/pull/push/charge/CC abilities TOR has. Used correctly, they are a massive advantage. Also, guard/taunt adds to the fun for me.