• 81-90%

108 26.15%
  • 91-100%

67 16.22%
Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

Americans: How knowledgeable are you about your government?

The Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI) works 'to educate for liberty'--inspiring college students to discover and embrace the principles and virtues that make America free and prosperous. The poll can be found below,*Full Civic Literacy Exam (from our 2008 survey)
    Are you more knowledgeable than the average citizen? The average score for all 2,508 Americans taking the following test was 49%; college educators scored 55%. Can you do better? Questions were drawn from past ISI surveys, as well as other nationally recognized exams.

http://www.isi.org/quiz.aspx?q=FE5C3...3-072BB31E2692

Please post your results in the poll if you feel comfortable doing so.

Edit to add poll results will not identify you individually.
    Last edited by MLX; 2012-03-17 at 05:53 PM.
    Www.facebook.com/magelordx
    Feel free to add me if you wish

Deleted
    ou answered 19 out of 33 correctly — 57.58 %

If you have any comments or questions about the quiz, please email americancivicliteracy@isi.org.

You can consult the following table to see how citizens and elected officials scored on each question.

I am British so i did pretty well I guess.

Deleted
    You answered 24 out of 33 correctly — 72.73 %
    From the UK though.

You answered 17 out of 33 correctly — 51.52 %

Dumbest Thread 2012

whoop whoop!

As a Dutchy I managed 42.42% correct! If I would actually know something about american history and the american government I would've scored much higher

10+ Year Old Account
    69.70% on it, without being a US citizen.

10+ Year Old Account
    You answered 21 out of 33 correctly — 63.64 %

Still not finished taking about the Civil War in History Class.

Interesting enough most of us aren't from the US.
    Last edited by Tragedia; 2012-03-17 at 06:16 PM.

You answered 24 out of 33 correctly — 72.73 %

ones i missed were mostly trivia/ economics, though there were a couple history i derped on ><

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Some fairly impressive numbers from citizens of other nations, I'm interested to see how some of the other Americans that frequent the board measure up.*

Mine was "You answered 27 out of 33 correctly — 81.82 %" Though in fairness I tend to keep up with politics, and debate various issues frequently which by definition requires me to have a fairly decent understanding of government and it's intent as well as it's current actions, so I don't represent an atypical sampling.

I'm American... Scored a 63%

History and Government... has never been an interest to me.

I'm so horrible.

You answered 28 out of 33 correctly — 84.85 %

I am more likely to know the ones that are about how the government actually works, today, than history questions about specific people, cases, philosophers, etc.

I am a US citizen who tries to stay out of politics because it makes me lose faith in humanity and also want to punch people in the face.
    Last edited by neccowafer; 2012-03-17 at 06:24 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Some fairly impressive numbers from citizens of other nations, I'm interested to see how some of the other Americans that frequent the board measure up.*

Mine was "You answered 27 out of 33 correctly — 81.82 %" Though in fairness I tend to keep up with politics, and debate various issues frequently which by definition requires me to have a fairly decent understanding of government and it's intent as well as it's current actions, so I don't represent an atypical sampling.

The interesting thing is I note that there is no shortage of opinions on politics, (both sides of the presidential election topic threads are @ 100+ pages) so one would think that this should generate a similar response, but it will be interesting to find out how many of those opinions, are based in fact, rather than supposition.

66.67%; I have lived in the U.S. for 6 years now.

You answered 27 out of 33 correctly — 81.82 %

ap government is paying off....

didnt google anything, all from pure knowledge

US citizen.
    "Now, I am far too lazy to tell Blizzard this myself, so I want one of you peoples to mention this during one of their Q&A's."

You answered 32 out of 33 correctly — 96.97 %

Incorrect Answers
    Question: Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Aquinas would concur that:Your Answer: all moral and political truth is relative to one’s time and placeCorrect Answer: certain permanent moral and political truths are accessible to human reason

i r amerkian

You answered 30 out of 33 correctly — 90.91 %

Question: What was the source of the following phrase: “Government of the people, by the people, for the people”?
    Your Answer: Declaration of Independence
    Correct Answer: Gettysburg Address

Question: Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Aquinas would concur that:
    Your Answer: moral ideas are best explained as material accidents or byproducts of evolution
    Correct Answer: certain permanent moral and political truths are accessible to human reason

Question: A flood-control levee (or National Defense) is considered a public good because:
    Your Answer: government construction contracts increase employment
    Correct Answer: a resident can benefit from it without directly paying for it

You answered 26 out of 33 correctly — 78.79 %

Not too bad for a teenage-ed American, I'd say.
    BURN THIS CITY TO THE GROUND, TAKE A TORCH AND SPREAD THE FIRE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    You answered 32 out of 33 correctly — 96.97 %

Incorrect Answers
    Question: Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Aquinas would concur that:Your Answer: all moral and political truth is relative to one’s time and placeCorrect Answer: certain permanent moral and political truths are accessible to human reason

i r amerkian
    Well done!

Here's mine:

Although I did recently take a course on American Politics, so I probably know a bit more than the average American.

If you have any comments or questions about the quiz, please email americancivicliteracy@isi.org.

You can consult the following table to see how citizens and elected officials scored on each question.

As a US Citizen some of those questions... Yeah I choose wrong thinking somone couldn't do some of the things they were saying. Like the first question... Seems like a blatant abuse of the Presidancy to say "i'm going to appoint more judges that think like me" so I didn't vote that... but I guess that was the obvious one consider how FDR felt about things. Sigh!