Quote Originally Posted by Wartide_ysera View Post
    I say genes because its an easy way to understand father to son bend inheritance, I think its pretty certain that bending is something inherited and not achieved, so that was the word I used to explain it.
    I believe the reason airbenders didn't spread around the world is that they would not leave their islands and go searching for love in other nations after all they were monks.
    They were also nomads. Aang had visited both the earth kingdoms and the fire nation by the time he was twelve, remember? The exact details aren't clear, but it's likely that, while all children are raised in the temples, the adults travel the world and the elderly act as monks.

If a single gene was responsible, it could still be genetic, but it probably wouldn't allow an energy-bender to survive for hundreds of generations either.
    A look at the warcraft novels, RPG books, games and magical french space soccer.

Glory to person-whose-name-I-dont-know-but-rules-Kul-Tiras!

Quote Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
    They were also nomads. Aang had visited both the earth kingdoms and the fire nation by the time he was twelve, remember? The exact details aren't clear, but it's likely that, while all children are raised in the temples, the adults travel the world and the elderly act as monks.

If a single gene was responsible, it could still be genetic, but it probably wouldn't allow an energy-bender to survive for hundreds of generations either.
    This talk made me wonder, is it possible do be born with a bending that no one in your family tree ever had ?

Like a normal kid in the earth kingdom with no bending ancestors at all is born with earthbending, or waterbending. Or a kid from a firebending family is born with waterbending, are there any characters in the story that fit that description?

This talk made me wonder, is it possible do be born with a bending that no one in your family tree ever had ?

Like a normal kid in the earth kingdom with no bending ancestors at all is born with earthbending, or waterbending. Or a kid from a firebending family is born with waterbending, are there any characters in the story that fit that description?
    Don't think so. Plus, it would make the fire nation's extermination of the air nomads pretty pointless.
    A look at the warcraft novels, RPG books, games and magical french space soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Underbottom View Post
    The creators have specifically said Amon is not a Character we know.
    Good luck finding a source for that.

If he's someone new, why the mask? If we take him at his word where he was burned by a firebender, wouldn't showing his scars be an excellent recruiting tool, showing off how irresponsible and dangerous benders can be? Amon is very smart, and I'm sure that would have crossed his mind unless he isn't being truthful. From a creative perspective, why the bait and switch with a mask just to unveil someone we've never seen before?

Regardless of who he is, I'd put my money on him being someone familiar to the audience.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Quote Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
    Don't think so. Plus, it would make the fire nation's extermination of the air nomads pretty pointless.
    Yup, that makes sense.

What are your thought on Amon energy bending capabilities ( if you think he is energy bending at all ), or what do you think he is doing if not energy bending? How could he resist the blood bending from Tarlok, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post

If he's someone new, why the mask? If we take him at his word where he was burned by a firebender, wouldn't showing his scars be an excellent recruiting tool, showing off how irresponsible and dangerous benders can be? Amon is very smart, and I'm sure that would have crossed his mind unless he isn't being truthful. From a creative perspective, why the bait and switch with a mask just to unveil someone we've never seen before?

Regardless of who he is, I'd put my money on him being someone familiar to the audience.
    Anonymity is a powerful, powerful weapon when used in the correct fashion.

Yup, that makes sense.

What are your thought on Amon energy bending capabilities ( if you think he is energy bending at all ), or what do you think he is doing if not energy bending? How could he resist the blood bending from Tarlok, etc.
    I know you weren't talking to me, but I still think all of Amon's "power" is derived from very advanced forms of Chi Blocking.

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post

Maybe he is a bender who wants to be THE LAST BENDER !!!! Pretending to be fighting for equality would be a good plan to become the most powerful human being.

Also, having your bending taken makes you incapable of passing it to your offspring? If not, and lets supose Amon won the war, there would have to be a organization to track newborns so their bending is taken as well, that would open to an awesome potential story like exbenders hiding their children and taking them far away so they can carry the bending tradition. God I love the Avatar world so much xD

---------- Post added 2012-06-18 at 01:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Catharlex View Post

I know you weren't talking to me, but I still think all of Amon's "power" is derived from very advanced forms of Chi Blocking.
    To me that would be a bummer xD I so want him to be the an energy bender ( inherited from blood, or given by a spirit, or he even be a spirit in human form ) that I would be sad if he was just a super chi blocker.
    Last edited by Wartide_ysera; 2012-06-18 at 01:58 AM.

Yup, that makes sense.

My pet theory is that, when Aang died, the bending energies he absorbed were either released, or reborn as a new person. He can resist bloodbending because he has the power of Yakone, he was able to resist the fire in 'and the winner is...' because he has the power of Ozai and he is able to energy-bend because both Yakone and Ozai experienced it and now know how it works.

Why only talk about Amon identity? What about Korra, Mako and Asami?????

Quote Originally Posted by Magemaer View Post
    Well, my guess would be that they are, respectively, Korra, Mako and Asami.

More seriously, I care little for the love triangle.

Quote Originally Posted by Magemaer View Post
    I find the mystery behind Amons identity/powers much more interesting XD

Not saying the love square in less interesting, just my opinion xD

Btw, the last scene of korra and her gang on episode 10 really made me feel Asami is going to the dark side xD Her only reason to be with them was Mako, without him shes kinda left in the corner, I think shes feeling really alone right now, might be the little push she needed to go back to her dad, unless her morals are really strong, we will see.
    Last edited by Wartide_ysera; 2012-06-18 at 02:16 AM.

I find the mystery behind Amons identity/powers much more interesting XD

Not saying the love square in less interesting, just my opinion xD

Btw, the last scene of korra and her gang on episode 10 really made me feel Asami is going to the dark side xD Her only reason to be with them was Mako, without him shes kinda left in the corner, I think shes feeling really alone right now, might be the little push she needed to go back to her dad, unless her morals are really strong, we will see.
    Eh. I don't WANT her to turn on Team Avatar... They are the shining example of what the world should be like. Benders of all kinds AND Non-Benders working together for a common cause. If they lose their Non-Bending component then that throws it completely out of whack.

That being said, the foreshadowing is there... It just depends on the road they take with it. They could easily turn it into the same situation that happened with Lin Beifong/Tenzin/Pema and have Mako/Asami goes their separate ways and then you can have Korra/Mako as a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Karrde08 View Post
    Aang doesn't remove his bending, or at least I can't find anything about it. He just goes into Avatar State to beat him up, but Katara calms him down.

The comics are not out yet, how can you know this...?
    Last edited by Boley; 2012-06-18 at 03:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boley View Post
    The comics are not out yet, how can you know this...?
    I assume you meant to quote somebody?

Well just look at the primary characters, Mako and Bolin... One is an earthbender, and one is a firebender. Same parents and all. Unless by chance the father was a firebender and the mother was an earthbender or something along those lines, but either way the genetics of it would get pretty twisted when you think about it.[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2012-06-18 at 03:00 AM ----------
    Last edited by Boley; 2012-06-18 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boley View Post
    Well just look at the primary characters, Mako and Bolin... One is an earthbender, and one is a firebender. Same parents and all. Unless by chance the father was a firebender and the mother was an earthbender or something along those lines, but either way the genetics of it would get pretty twisted when you think about it.
    I think it's entirely feasible that their parents were both benders of different types. There is much more intermingling of (hell, because it didn't happen at all as far as we know in TLA) people who have different bending affinities. Much more so than both of them being born from parents who were non-benders and then both ended up with different bending abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Riavan View Post
    I don't want amon to be someone we know, doesn't it make sense that someone with enough drive and hate for benders could dedicate their life to martial arts, chi blocking and communicating with the spirits enough to become what he is today?

I also hope people have lost their bending for good, not some disney story where everyone is good at the end.
    If I remember correctly, when Aang met with the Guru and was teaching Aang about the different pathways, I found a few links on tumblr of them. http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...ccsjo1_500.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...ccsjo2_250.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...ccsjo3_250.gif

So if anything, I think somehow they'll be able to return the bending back to some of the others. If they can find a way or if Korra can become more spiritual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharlex View Post
    Anonymity is a powerful, powerful weapon when used in the correct fashion.

I want to know why people keep on using this as a form of speculation. Can someone please point to the episode where we see Amon chi-block or for that matter, when we see him (or someone else) state that he is a chi-blocker? As far as I know the only people we ever see chi-block are the Equalist henchmen, not ever the commander (mustache man) chi-blocks.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

My bet is on some kind of advanced chi-blocking as well.

But even IF Amon somehow managed to truely take away bending, couldn't Korra learn to give bending back from Aang? There is no way spiritbending could only destroy and not create bending, especially since there was no bending before the spirits/ancients used their spiritbending (to create the first benders?)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    I want to know why people keep on using this as a form of speculation. Can someone please point to the episode where we see Amon chi-block or for that matter, when we see him (or someone else) state that he is a chi-blocker? As far as I know the only people we ever see chi-block are the Equalist henchmen, not ever the commander (mustache man) chi-blocks.
    Because they're speculating? You don't need evidence when it comes to speculation.