Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Heroic Yor'sajh (10m) Help

Hey everyone,

I was hoping to get pointers on Heroic Yor'sajh. My guild tried him for the first time last night and we seemed to progress slowly (but steadily), so I was hoping to get some pointers that might help us learn the fight a bit quicker.

We tried a variety of strategies but nothing seemed to work (logs can be found on world of logs - I can't post em because I'm new to MMO-Champion).

For the most part we went with the "kill purple strategy" but noticed that we ran into a variety of problems being that healers didn't have enough mana when we were dealing with a mana void, during a Yellow+black combo the second set of adds weren't down until after we were done killing the ooze, thus adding more strain on healers, or if we had a red+blue combo we were dieing to too much raid damage even with moving the boss to the mana void.

That said we seemed to do really well when dealing with a blue+green+purple combo, so if anyone has any tips or strategies for helping us deal with anything that would be great.

Our raid team consists of:
    Paladin Tank
    Feral Tank
    Holy/Shadow Priest
    Holy/Retribution Pally
    Druid Heals
    Arcane/Fire Mage
    Arcane/Fire Mage
    Enhance Shammy
    Elemental Shammy
    Retribution Pally
    DPS Warrior

Here's what I was thinking we would try, but please make suggestions as we need help - (bold means I'm not sure the best way to deal with).
    black — blue — green — red; ---> Kill Green ---> black — blue — red
    black — blue — purple — yellow; ---> Kill Yellow ---> black — blue — purple
    black — green — red — yellow; ---> Kill Green ---> black — red — yellow
    black — purple — red — yellow; ---> Kill Yellow ---> black — purple — red

blue — green — purple — yellow. ---> Kill Yellow ---> blue — green — purple
    black — blue — green — purple; ---> Kill Black ---> blue — green — purple
    Thanks very much!

Edit: Just realized you don't know where to look if you want to see our World of Logs: US-Turalyon, Stoic, March 13th. :-)
    Last edited by ZaideTuralyon; 2012-03-15 at 05:55 AM.

are you 2 tanking?

Quote Originally Posted by ZaideTuralyon View Post
    black — purple — red — yellow; ---> Kill Yellow ---> black — purple — red
    i would prob change this one to black red yellow also. unless its already easy for you. but i find that black yellow red is an easy combo now with the nerfs. the healers dont have to hold back, and can keep everyone up fairly easily

i would 1 tank, with the pally. especially if he has the TB trinket, which is godly for this fight.

holy pally can spam heal the tank through beacon during purples. heals on a pet dont give stacks. although you dont have a hunter or DK, so he will have to be pro and finding temporary pets like sfiend, wolves, fire ele etc that might be out.

a common strat is to have one ranged dps killing the mana void. your priest will hymn when the first one comes out, and other healers might like to use their mana CDs too. the one ranged dps works it down while everyone else ignores it. but they dont kill it. they leave it at 15-20% hp, and then the next time a void comes out, you wait for mana to be sucked and quickly kill the old void. then the same ranged dps gets to work on the next void.

as for black/yellow. the second wave will spawn just before the oozes. so they will be up when you're killing the next ooze. if your dps is really good and on the ball, they will time big burst aoe for just as they spawn. and some can keep aoeing a little bit as they run to the ooze. mages will make sure to get impact dots on all of them, to get them down as much as possible. normally you will leave 1-2 dps on the boss while the others kill an ooze. usually the ones with high ramp up or w/e. after a black/yellow phase, you can have 1-2 good cleave/aoe dps stay on the adds, while everyone else kills the ooze. for this, you want to make sure your group stays tight so the adds dont spread everywhere. you can even have more killing adds, say 3-4, and have them jump to the ooze when it gets to the water. you can figure out whatever works best.

mages will definitely want to be fire. i would probably put the ele shaman on the void if you're using the method i mentioned above, since his aoe is the weakest.

it can help to assign groups for the healers during purple, so they dont accidentally double heal the same target. one healer on each group, then the 3rd on themselves and the tank (this would probably be the pally).

healers need to know exactly what give stacks and what doesnt. some heals, like PoM (i think) dont. or any hots that are precast (before the debuff comes up).

First off I would recommend a yor'sahj add-on which will let you create a kill priority for each combo and announce which add to kill as they come out. It will than tell the raid what to do after it's dead in a Raid Warning. This is a HUGE help trust me. Next thing I would ask you is if either tanks have a mirror of broken images. If so that can help ALOT. In my grp I solo tank this with mirror on my DK and I never really drop low at all. With your comp I would have the Feral stay kitty most the fight and switch to bear when the pally gets 4 stacks of the debuff(can't remember it's name but not deep corruption the other one the tank gets). Here's our kill priority.

1. Purple, Red, Yellow, Black
    2. Yellow, Blue, Purple, Green
    3. Yellow, Blue, Black, Purple
    4. Green, Red, Blue, Black
    5. Green, Purple, Black, Blue
    6. Green, Yellow, Black, Red

Red, Yellow, Black- "Germany" is widely considered the toughest combo and requires chained raid cds for most grps. We usually have disc drop bubble, lust, and feral 4 piece than tranq the first "Germany" phase. And on the second one we spirit link, and have the r. druid tranq. "Germany" really isn't that tough if done right imo it's the order the combos come in that will make you hate RNG on this fight. A yellow, black phase followed by a green phase absolutely sucks if adds are still up raping your ranged when green hits. The biggest problem we had was the black adds raping clothies from yellow, black combo since you get twice as many adds. We countered this by waiting for the first "Germany" phase and lusting 15 secs in when the second adds come up and staying stacked until all the adds were dead. By the time they're dead though the next oozes will already be moving to the boss so EVERYONE must dps the next ooze down. We usually leave our e. shammy and lock stay on boss the whole fight and the raid can kill the oozes by themselves but with the extra time spent on the black adds for the first "Germany" phase everyone must switch. You can do the same thing for the second "Germany" phase but you must leave a bit sooner to kill the incoming oozes because you will be without lust.

Oh, and 2 heal this fight. We tried it with 3 heals and got him to 700k but just 1 extra dps made it so much easier with the adds. 3 heals on purple phases is a waste because once people hit 4 deep corruption stacks that one extra healer sitting there doing nothing could be a dps smashing adds or boss making everyones job easier. Just split into 2 grps and have 1 healer in each one with an equal mix of ranged and melee for green phases. I would go Holy Pally, R. Druid for sure. Holy Pally can heal a pet during purple phases without building deep corruptions on the tank and r. druid are awesome on this fight for tank heals and "Germany" phases. GL to you. You'll get it down.

---Asharia

Thanks for the tips - much appreciated Probably going to try one tanking next time and 2 healing. I'm pretty sure our paladin does have the TB trinket - the only issue is our feral druid isn't great with her dps and I always hate asking people to play an alt if they don't want to. That said, I'll probably still ask her to go on her mage for the fight if that will make the difference of getting it down or not, and once we have it on farm she can switch back

Alternatively (as I'm not too familiar with tanking), could we ask our pally to go on his warlock (thus giving us a pet the entire fight), and get our bear to tank? Or would it be too hard as a bear to solo? I know DKs are godly for the fight, but unfortunately we don't have any geared DKs at our disposal.

Great suggestion for putting one dps on the mana void - definitely going to stick our elemental shaman on void duty next time.

---Talksick

Is the addon called "Yor'sahj Automatic RaidWarnings" on curse?

For Yellow, Blue, Purple, Green would the double damage on our tank be a tad too much to deal with especially with the limited heals from Purple? Or do you think a great holy pally could handle that with doing pet heals?

As for the "Germany" combo - I think our raid handled that combo fairly well up until the second set came out and we had adds up going at the ooze and into the next absorption phase. That said after looking around for the last little while, I found someone suggesting all dps use agro drops and just leave one melee on them until they are down.

Thanks for all the tips! Highly appreciated everyone :-) Keep em coming if you have more

Deleted
    We only kill either the green or the Yellow.

There are 2 combinations that hurt much.

Yellow and purple --> You can't heal and boss does more dmg.
    Red and Green --> You need to spread for Green, and need to collapse for Red.

What we do is use the following priority:
    Kill Yellow > Green (we never kill something else, don't even think I ever seen something without either one of em)

There is only one but, If you have a combo with yellow / Green / Red,
    then you need to kill Green. This strategy is very easy on your healers. They need to understand how to heal Purple though.

Remember to spread out when you leave green up. Otherwise Stack as close to the boss as possible (be inside the red circle you see when you target him)

As for the mana issues. Use the strategy mentioned above.
    Leave the first void up and kill it after the second one drained your mana.

Here a movie with one of our kills.
    youtube.com/watch?v=NWOkk3OFkAw&feature=player_embedded

Deleted
    The most intense fight in the first 4 bosses, some say its easy but it rly isnt good luck and have fun

I'd recommend 1 tank 2 heals. With the ooze combos, the #1 thing you want to avoid is having red and green together (kill green). Red forces you to stack inside the boss' hitbox, and green forces you to spread apart. Other than that, you want to basically kill yellow always. We have 1 - 2 melee (depending on our comp that week) tunnel the boss the whole time, and only switch off if the second set of adds on a yellow + black phase went down slowly. Also, I'd recommend saving mana voids, it seems to make things easier on the healers.

If you don't know how to save mana voids, here's a quick summary:
    after the very first mana void, everyone blows all of their mana restoration cooldowns, and you DPS the mana void down to ~10%. After a second mana void comes out, kill the first one (at 10%), and then bring the new one down to ~10%. This way, you'll never be out of mana for more than about 3 sec or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly people are overcomplicating this fight.

Here is a simple strat.

1. 1 Tank who can manage CDs when the raid is low. Pally would be best since he has raid wall.
    2. We 3 heal it. You can try 2 heal it.
    3. KILL YELLOW everytime EXCEPT when GREEN + RED happen. Then kill Green and stack up. If you look at the description for yellow, everytime a shadow bolt hits the tank, the raid gets hit for 45k.. thats 45k every 3 seconds or so... Kill yellow. everytime. except when green+red, then kill green, stack up and aoe heals. Save CDS for when Green + Red+Yellow because you kill green and have to stack up and lots of AOE heals.
    4. Manage the mana void. here is how.
    - When mana void comes up for first time. have 2 ranged dps to about 400k life
    - leave it
    - have healers use mana regen cds
    -when another mana void comes up, REMEMBER IT HAS TO BE UP AND LAND ON THE GROUND, kill the mana void with low health, get the new mana void to 400k life.
    - ONLY KILL MANA VOID when a new one pops. Keep mana CDS handy (EDIT: the guy above me says get mana voids to 10%, thats too low. they blow up when they get to 100k life. Also they have a nasty habit of wondering into the raid. If you are mowing down adds, it is very easy to kill the mana void. Keep it at 350k-400k life. Which is i think about 20-25%)

Rinse and repeat.

Tip: We use lust right at the pull of the fight. If you dont want to do that, use lust when you have no mana void or adds.

One thing that made us progress from 80% wipes to 1shot it every week is that our group had a predefined notion to stack with where melee dps might comfortably stand outside the hitbox but very close during red phases. We killed it the first time that we realized that standing DIRECTLY under and in the center of the hitbox takes an enormous amount out of reds damage, that 3-5 yard difference was enormous for us.

Other than that, my group would never kill black, on the phase when you kill black, we kill green. We also kill mana voids as they come and haven't had any trouble. If you have a DK tank or dps have them deathgrip the mana void to your stack with the boss, especially when black is up as well.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

Thanks for the tips everyone!

They are all hugely appreciated. I think we have a better idea of what to do, and now it's just a matter of our healers getting practice on combinations with purple, and dealing with mana voids properly.

We'll probably get our priest to go shadow instead of holy and do 1 tank, that way for any Black+Yellow combos we won't have many problems getting the adds down quick enough.

Any other tips/tricks you suggest (especially for specific classes we have in our raid comp) would be helpful. :-)

I don't think anyone mentioned so... The way Red works is the distance between each raid member. Either you stack at on his ass, or right below him has no effect, aside the fact being behind will kill your tank. That's why most guilds stay right in mid of yorsajh(i believe he has no range for hunters), so the tank can safely stay in front, only dipping a yard or so inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Rédempteur View Post
    I don't think anyone mentioned so... The way Red works is the distance between each raid member. Either you stack at on his ass, or right below him has no effect, aside the fact being behind will kill your tank. That's why most guilds stay right in mid of yorsajh(i believe he has no range for hunters), so the tank can safely stay in front, only dipping a yard or so inside.
    Yor'sahj actually has a very large hitbox circle, meaning from a tank perspective, the boss won't move at all when you move from max melee range to right up against him. Because of that, when you have a red ooze phase as a tank, you can safely move up right against him; you'll only be 2-3 yards from your raid group who should be stacked underneath the boss.

That's definitely a great tip about red phase. I didn't realize the impact that just a couple yards makes. We tend to stack in about a 4 yard radius under the boss, but going forward I'm going to just tell everyone to stack directly underneath the boss and get the tank to move in as close as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rédempteur View Post
    We found that red also counts the distance from yor'sahj to the first target hit, and then retains that as a base damage for all the other hits regardless of distance between those hits. It could be coincidence but our kills would not have come if we weren't stacked directly underneath in the center of the hitbox, reds damage was almost completely negated and we killed it our first attempt after learning that, this after countless wipes.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

Yellow, Blue, Purple, Green - don't know why I had green in bold but i was tired last night. you should be killing yellow on this combo. this is probably the easiest combo you will encounter. yes that addon will do perfectly fine and as far as aggro drops I would not recommend it. This would cause another player to have 3-4 adds on em and could mean a wipe. If they're absolutely gonna die from the adds than yea might as well but if that's happening than dps isn't killing them fast enough. as for germany phases you will still have extra adds up while killing the next set of oozes but with the strat I gave you it makes dealing with them ALOT easier. i think we 2 shot it after we started doing this. anyways let us know how you do on your next attempts.

Deleted
    We found it to be the best to avoid green when any form of raid-stacking is required (black for nuking the adds, yellow for healing the raid more efficiently or red for avoiding the damage). The next priority would be to rather heal through intense damage that allows raid stacking than reducing incoming damage slightly but stressing your healers with the purple debuff. So our kill priority looks like this:

black — blue — green — red
    black — blue — purple — yellow
    black — green — red — yellow
    black — purple — red — yellow
    blue — green — purple — yellow
    black — blue — green — purple
    You might have noticed that on combination #5, we went for yellow. That's because we need to eliminate the green/yellow combination as described, but green in combination with purple is much more forgiving than yellow, since yellow makes the tank eat lots of damage.

You might also want to consider three-healing the fight and rather one-tank it. Even though a second tank can help in taking stress of the healers in heavy situations either by popping a 4-piece CD or by taunting the boss when the other tank has many Void Bolt stacks, having a third healer is the superior alternative in general, especially when killing purple most of the times.

Almost forgot to tell you something about blue... once the Mana Void is up for the first time, pop some mana CDs (hymn, totem) to regain lost mana... then bring the void down to ~20% and leave it alive until the next Mana Void is up. When finishing the Mana Void off, it's best to have a DK grip it right into the middle of the raid, ensuring nobody is out of range for the mana regain upon it's death (yeah, it has a range).
    Last edited by mmocf1fc01d223; 2012-03-16 at 08:47 AM.

Deleted
    How hard are the instances in Cataclysm compared to Sunwell?

Quote Originally Posted by Dashield28 View Post
    Honestly people are overcomplicating this fight.

Here is a simple strat.

1. 1 Tank who can manage CDs when the raid is low. Pally would be best since he has raid wall.
    2. We 3 heal it. You can try 2 heal it.
    3. KILL YELLOW everytime EXCEPT when GREEN + RED happen. Then kill Green and stack up. If you look at the description for yellow, everytime a shadow bolt hits the tank, the raid gets hit for 45k.. thats 45k every 3 seconds or so... Kill yellow. everytime. except when green+red, then kill green, stack up and aoe heals. Save CDS for when Green + Red+Yellow because you kill green and have to stack up and lots of AOE heals.
    4. Manage the mana void. here is how.
    - When mana void comes up for first time. have 2 ranged dps to about 400k life
    - leave it
    - have healers use mana regen cds
    -when another mana void comes up, REMEMBER IT HAS TO BE UP AND LAND ON THE GROUND, kill the mana void with low health, get the new mana void to 400k life.
    - ONLY KILL MANA VOID when a new one pops. Keep mana CDS handy (EDIT: the guy above me says get mana voids to 10%, thats too low. they blow up when they get to 100k life. Also they have a nasty habit of wondering into the raid. If you are mowing down adds, it is very easy to kill the mana void. Keep it at 350k-400k life. Which is i think about 20-25%)

Rinse and repeat.

Tip: We use lust right at the pull of the fight. If you dont want to do that, use lust when you have no mana void or adds.
    Pretty much this. Only the ranged DPS should dps the mana voids (to keep it low, around ~20% HP, and to finish it off). This way, 1) you don't have to move the boss during red, 2) you won't have mana issues after the first blue phase, and 3) you won't have an issue spreading the melee around the mana void during green.

We've found that moving the boss to mana voids causes issues with people being slightly away from the boss and taking too much damage from the red beam. If you decide to 1 tank, have your paladins be ready to use LoH on the tank when the stack gets high (5+). The tank should also use the strongest personal cooldown during purple.

Deleted
    If you switch to 1 tank 2 healers for this fight then I fully recommend focused dps on the adds during most phases even if you must single targeting them down, the adds are pretty much the only major issue our group had on this fight beyond healing through the Red, Yellow, Black phases which if the adds are handled correctly and you stack right it doesn't pose as big of an issue. If by chance you are hitting the enrage timer then sticking a melee or two on the boss full time will usually solve that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Krostas View Post
    it's best to have a DK grip it right into the middle of the raid, ensuring nobody is out of range for the mana regain upon it's death (yeah, it has a range).
    omg you can grip the mana orb facepalm I wish we knew this weeks ago.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2012-03-16 at 11:54 AM.

My guild was struggling on this fight for a while. Then we had our tank switch to his undergeared Frost dk and our boomkin switch to his undergeared Blood DK and we one shot it with ease.

Moral of the story: if anyone in your group has a decent blood dk, have him tank and you'll have a much much easier time.