Poll: ok go

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Just going out here on a limb and saying touch is one that can be iffy depending on how bad it is i guess?

If you lose your sense of touch you would lose your sense of pain right?

However would you also lose the human urges of sexual and other kind also?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    sight, i cant enjoy life without it since most if not all the activities i perform in my daily routine involve it, and being the antisocial person that i am i would probably not be able to survive without it because i don't like asking for help

The loss of sound would leave me feeling extremely disconnected from everything. I can imagine (and cope) with a loss of sight (I had extremely bad vision at one point, and while that's not the same as being blind, it taught me not to rely on my vision as strongly as I might other wise).

I love music, the sound of nature, the sound of people. The other non-sight things would suck, as well, but on a conscious level, the loss of hearing is the one that freaks me out the most.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by geniebsmart View Post
    do you ever wonder what music sounds like?? or do you often get depressed because you can't hear???

i'm really curious and im sorry if it's rude to ask, but I dont know any deaf people so i can't go ask them!
    Music? what music

Yes, I wondered which was why I initially got my Hearing Aids I got to hear the things that I never had but I cannot tell one sound from other sound. If dog is barking and car is roaring and I can't tell which one is which cos they same to me.

I rarely use my Hearing Aids now. Life is *too* loud and I find them uncomfortable. So, I use nothing now.

If i become normal hearing for one day i know myself that i will lose myself in the world so helpless.

Given that modern science has determined that human beings have far more than 5 senses, making this poll a bit sketchy, I'd still have to go with Sight. I enjoy doing things that are far too dependent on sight, like riding my motorcycle, playing video games, etc.

Any one sense I'd give up? Probably pain, although I could definitely see myself getting seriously injured due to the lack of biofeedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Stop looking for sense in a game that mails you dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Beouf View Post
    Music? what music

Yes, I wondered which was why I initially got my Hearing Aids I got to hear the things that I never had but I cannot tell one sound from other sound. If dog is barking and car is roaring and I can't tell which one is which cos they same to me.

I rarely use my Hearing Aids now. Life is *too* loud and I find them uncomfortable. So, I use nothing now.

If i become normal hearing for one day i know myself that i will lose myself in the world so helpless.
    can you hear in your dreams? i know blind people can see in their dreams, so i wonder if deaf people hear stuff in their dreams??

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallixenia View Post
    Given that modern science has determined that human beings have far more than 5 senses, making this poll a bit sketchy, I'd still have to go with Sight. I enjoy doing things that are far too dependent on sight, like riding my motorcycle, playing video games, etc.

Any one sense I'd give up? Probably pain, although I could definitely see myself getting seriously injured due to the lack of biofeedback.
    lol @ grilling your own hand due to not feeling pain

10+ Year Old Account

Most of the "newly found" senses are just sub-senses. Like you said, pain, that still under the category of touch.

Without sight I wouldn't be able to post this comment saying that I am most terrified of losing my sight, so I'm going to have to go with sight. It's one thing to be born blind and never know what things look like, but all of a sudden losing that ability would kill me.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Those who are picking smell should think a little bit for our memory has a lot to do with smells, so by losing one's smell his or her memory would suffer greatly.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sight. I would honestly probably end myself if I were to lose my sight. I couldn't live without it. I'd never again be able to look straight up at 3 AM and gasp at the eternal beauty of our milky way.

Just days ago, coming home from work, I parked my car, got out, and probably stood there for half an hour just looking up. I could see a disc formation across the sky, dense with stars. I realized I was looking at our galaxy, and it was breathtaking.
    Well excuuuse me, Princess.

You are now breathing manually.

um i didn't read the question well enough and thought it was asking which i would most rather lose, so i picked smelling. derp. in reality i would be scared to lose sight the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    I think smell is the only one I sometimes wish I didn't have.
    gee, thanks :PPP

eye exam about 2 months ago, told i had risk factor for glaucoma. sight has kind of been on my mind since then, lol

Be careful about losing 'touch' ... losing that sense is called 'Leprosy' and has dire consequences.

For me - Smelling has to go, as mine is pretty screwed up already. Sight I can't afford to lose (literally).

10+ Year Old Account
    Hearing, I can't really say why but I've an odd fear of not being able to hear anything. One of my ear drums had a hole in it one time and it was "clogged"? I guess would be the word and I couldn't hear out of it for about a week; it fucking freaked me out at first and it was the most annoying shit ever.

I thought this poll was which one you'd prefer to lose, which is why I voted "Smell"

revised answer: Sight.

Deleted
    Touch would be awful to lose! All other senses can be substituted to some degree, not touch though.

Sight- My brain is amazing and i could paint up whatever reality i wish inside my head and still be happy.
    Hearing- Im tired of hearing people bitch and moan so please....
    Smell & taste- That would be freekin wonderful to lose! Imagine all disgusting cheap foods you could eat! Would save me loads of money foodwise!

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    Most of the "newly found" senses are just sub-senses. Like you said, pain, that still under the category of touch.

Without sight I wouldn't be able to post this comment saying that I am most terrified of losing my sight, so I'm going to have to go with sight. It's one thing to be born blind and never know what things look like, but all of a sudden losing that ability would kill me.
    Actually, it's been found the pain receptors work in conjunction with, but also independently of other "touch" senses. Pressure, temperature, and pain can work as a whole to create a detailed sense, but they also work quite well as stand alone senses. You can feel pain without pressure, pressure without temperature, and temperature without pain. To carry it further, you can feel pain, temperature, AND pressure without ever actually touching anything.

Also, sensing motion and relative spatial positioning may not sound like independent senses, but the ability to do both can be lost without losing other senses, which in turn does qualify them as senses in their own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Stop looking for sense in a game that mails you dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by geniebsmart View Post
    do you ever wonder what music sounds like?? or do you often get depressed because you can't hear???

i'm really curious and im sorry if it's rude to ask, but I dont know any deaf people so i can't go ask them!
    Actually, think of it this way... (I'm deaf myself)

How can we "miss" what we never had? We never knew what it's like to be a hearing person, hence we don't get upset over the notion of not being able to hear. Deafness is something we just grew up, so it's as natural as breathing.

Sight- that's one thing I do not want to lose. I depend on it too much for everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lawl, I answered "smell" because I came here thinking "which one would you least mind losing" and answered the poll before reading the question. xD

---------- Post added 2012-03-28 at 10:37 PM ----------

Also, sensing motion and relative spatial positioning may not sound like independent senses, but the ability to do both can be lost without losing other senses, which in turn does qualify them as senses in their own right.
    I think science does recognize those two as independent senses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Touch. I've been blind before. a HUGE lifestyle change yeah, but liveable. I'de go insane from the confusion though of not having touch, i rely on it alot.