Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Why everyone are in love in star wars in old star wars characters

I mean characters, like darth vader, han solo, luke and etc.

The expanded universe had much more to offer:

Characters like:

Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Tenel ka Djo, Kypp durron, Talon Karrde etc.

So why the star wars from 80's are so loved even now, when those new character have more rich story, are more interesting and overall are better.

Not to mention Darth Revan and Bastila Shan, ancient dark lords like Naga Sadow, Marka Ragnos, Ajunta Pall etc.

So my question is this why they are so fancy, why people are interested in them instead of the new ones ?

Any thoughts ?

10+ Year Old Account
    the common just dont know about other starwars, for them its just the movies...

for me personally, it's because i didn't just read it in a book, I didn't just watch it in a movie.. I "was" that person I did it myself. When you played as Revan, his entire backstory is really amazing, and the older characters just interested me more. I never really read into the expanded universe after Return of the Jedi, but I really doubt I'd be able to enjoy it as much as I do ToR timeline.

Well the other characters have a deeper story because they were created by professional writers......not George Lucas.

That's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are asking why the general public seems to favor characters from the movies versus characters from the EU sources, right? Well that is simple. It is difficult for someone to by a fan of any of the characters from the novels if they have not read any of them I would be willing to guess that the vast majority of Star Wars fans, both more casual fans and even alot of the more "hardcore" fans, have never spent the time to read any of the books. They have seen all the movies and maybe played some of the video games and seen one of the Clone Wars animated series and that is it. The EU has grown to such a huge size over time that it is really daunting for a newer fan to dive into it and since there are books to run across the entire timeline from the times of Knights of the Old Republic if not older to many years after Return of the Jedi, it is hard to know where to start. Plus, people just don't read anymore. Everyone wants their entertainment in easy to swallow movie or TV sized bits.

Deleted
    I'm talking as someone who thought the movies to be a bit bland (even though enjoyable) and didn't get much interest in Star Wars lore 'till I started playing this game. I can honestly say that the characters in the first movies didn't have the same "Oomph" as many other characters I've read about on Wookiepedia (Traya, Revan, Thrawn are very good examples). There is also to say that they were created in a very different era of media where many people didn't really care about how deep the personality of a movie character is, though, so there is that.

Anyway, Star Wars has one amazing universe outside the movies and it's a shame it isn't as well known.
    Last edited by mmoc9f36a84b59; 2012-03-23 at 01:54 AM.

Honestly, compared to people like Revan, Meetra, Traya, and just about any character in the Kotors, or the ancients like Sadow and Ragnos, the movies are bloody awful. They're good movies, but compared to other SW stuff, they're flat out terrible.

Because an overwhelming majority of people who like Star Wars haven't read the books. I mean, any book that is worth more than a paperweight is going to have more character development than a movie. I really liked the older movies...and I really enjoy reading a wide range of books...but I have never really been able to 'get in to' a SW book in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulanae View Post
    Well the other characters have a deeper story because they were created by professional writers......not George Lucas.

That's why.
    Everyone always bashes Lucas for the choices he made with the Star Wars Universe. the thing is we tend to forget that it is his Universe, not ours. How would you like it if people tried to tell you how to write your ideas down? Well they wouldn't be your ideas anymore would they? I think George has a brilliant imagination, more so then others.

It's a matter of perspective; I much prefer the original trilogy character because they're a piece of powerful nostalgia from my childhood.

That; and I find most of the expanded universe stuff to read like cheap fanfiction.

---------- Post added 2012-03-23 at 12:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Armored View Post
    Everyone always bashes Lucas for the choices he made with the Star Wars Universe. the thing is we tend to forget that it is his Universe, not ours. How would you like it if people tried to tell you how to write your ideas down? Well they wouldn't be your ideas anymore would they? I think George has a brilliant imagination, more so then others.
    I have to disagree; the original trilogy is based on a Japanese folk tale (which had been converted into a few samurai movies already I believe) and the new trilogy is group think fan service.

I'm just curious; how can Dark Vader be Lou's father if he's a robot?

Seriously though, imo the only good movies are ESB and to a lesser extent RoTJ. The rest is just meh. As for the books; the only book I ever read was Splinter of the Mind's Eye and it wasn't at all canon. The Dark Horse comics were pretty cool though; I don't know if they were canon either.
    Last edited by damntree; 2012-03-23 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by damntree View Post
    I'm just curious; how can Dark Vader be Lou's father if he's a robot?
    Obvious troll is obvious; move along sir.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like Episodes I, II and III better, stuff the old movies :P

CGI BATTLES OMFG

Most people (like myself) have just seen the movies, and don't read any books, lore, or play any/many games. It's kind of like expecting people to like Lord of the Rings characters that aren't in any of the books/movie but are just mentioned in lore, etc etc. I read a lot, but I have zero interest in ever reading a Star Wars book of any kind and I just don't appreciate the series enough beyond the movies. As far as a universe goes, I personally think it's overrated.

Because like it or not, the Star Wars universe is George Luca's universe, and the movie characters are the only 'official' characters in Star Wars lore. Everything else is just spin offs that had a license to the Star Wars saga. Whether or not that material is better is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Cereyeth; 2012-03-23 at 04:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    trying to figure out the title gave me a headache

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, anyone I've met who has actually read the Darth Bane books, and the Zahn novels, loved them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Even people did read the books, they're nerdy and targeted at a very dedicated fan audience. The movies are timeless and have universal appeal.

Kyp Durron? Really?

Darth Bane Trilogy is great.

Darth Plageuis book is great for people who want to know about what happened leading up to the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by damntree View Post
    The Dark Horse comics were pretty cool though; I don't know if they were canon either.
    They indeed are.

Quote Originally Posted by Cereyeth View Post
    Because like it or not, the Star Wars universe is George Luca's universe, and the movie characters are the only 'official' characters in Star Wars lore. Everything else is just spin offs that had a license to the Star Wars saga. Whether or not that material is better is irrelevant.
    Actually, the rest is indeed official. The fact that it's licensed makes it official. That's why it's called Canon. The only difference is, GL trumps it on the hierarchy. And like it or not, the new movies show how little of the original moves were George's. Back then he was fledgling and unsure of himself, so he had helpers that he listened to who all worked together to make a great story. If someone told him something was a bad idea he considered it. With the new movies if something was a bad idea he fired them and listened to nobody. You can even see changes in his attitude over the years as he realized that the extended universe was better than his stuff.

---------- Post added 2012-03-22 at 10:00 PM ----------

Found the quotes I was looking for. When the first novel came out, GL said he was excited about it and that it was more stories within the same world. Later, after all the popularity of the EU and how it helped to spread the movies to more people and, as many people even said in here, was arguably better than the movies, GL basically said he didn't care about the EU and that it was a different world.

In the introduction to the 1994 printing of Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Lucas offered his view on the evolution of the Star Wars saga:
    "After Star Wars was released, it became apparent that my story—however many films it took to tell—was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. But these were not stories I was destined to tell. Instead they would spring from the imagination of other writers, inspired by the glimpse of a galaxy that Star Wars provided. Today it is an amazing, if unexpected, legacy of Star Wars that so many gifted writers are contributing new stories to the Saga."
    In July 2001, Lucas gave his opinion on the matter of what is canon in Star Wars during an interview with Cinescape magazine:
    "There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There's my world, which is the movies, and there's this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don't intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don't get too involved in the parallel universe."
    Last edited by Koalachan; 2012-03-23 at 05:00 AM.