Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question The Roland Fantom S-88 keyboard and my computer, make it haps?

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...?ProductId=562

So this keyboard has been sitting in my basement tucked away, however I want to put it to use, perhaps learn how to play the keyboards on it. My Dad bought it back in 2004 and I feel like it's been only going to waste, however that's a fairly long time ago, so I'm wondering if it would even be compatible with my computer, how I'd plug it in, what software I should use, how easy it would be to record/edit, all of that. This is one realm I've pretty much never dived into so totally new and completely unsure for the most part how any of it would work. Would I route it via USB to my computer? I have the idea that that is probably optimal for my situation, however I'm unsure. If I need to go buy some cables (i.e. USB male to female/perhaps a mixer) it should not be a problem, however I'd like to avoid spending too much.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Get a MIDI to USB connector, or just a MIDI PCI card in general to hook it up. A very good piece of software to learn from is Synthesia (I recall that was the name, I'm on mobile atm, cba to google). It allows you to input any midi file (Piano songs you find anywhere on the net) and it gives you a full display of the notes and stuff. Kinda like guitar hero but the real deal.

Hope that helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool, I'll look into that. Any reason however MIDI > USB? Thanks for the response good sir, always helpful! ^_^
    "A flower.

Deleted
    That's generally the way audio equipment is hooked up to a pc, and is generally recognised by all audio software like Reason or Logic. You could always connect it to a DAC but these go for over 100$ so that might not be worth it if you're not going to do anything professional with it. These things are good to hook headphones up to aswell though, it's a bit like an amp

EDIT: Edit for lots of typos. Damn you touch screen!

If you want to play virtual instruments (special software that emulates real instruments) you also need asio 2.0 support, otherwise your playing is not synched properly with the audio output of your soundcard. Check the web for "Asio4All" drivers.

There are tons of free virtual instruments available. Some require a host application (Cubase, Logic, Ableton...) others run stand alone.
    Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at!

10+ Year Old Account
    Only reason I ask is I'm not seeing an actual MIDI out port on the keyboard, or would it be like I plug in via coaxial or L and R unbalanced/XLR balanced outputs that then turn into a MIDI port? I currently have a couple unused XLR balanced to unbalanced cables from when we had the studio monitors hooked up into the keyboard (Event TR5s) however one died, so that did not help anything, plus my dad and sister stopped playing on the keyboard. So those are sitting idle, available for use if needed. I do have my Shure SRH440 however I still want to plug it into the computer for the recording purposes, of course. :P

---------- Post added 2012-04-01 at 12:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    If you want to play virtual instruments (special software that emulates real instruments) you also need asio 2.0 support, otherwise your playing is not synched properly with the audio output of your soundcard. Check the web for "Asio4All" drivers.

There are tons of free virtual instruments available. Some require a host application (Cubase, Logic, Ableton...) others run stand alone.
    I don't believe I said I want to play virtual instruments - I want to plug a keyboard into my computer.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Odd. The spec sheet on the site lists a MIDI connector as IN/OUT/THRU. They look kind of like XLR though, you might be overlooking it. The USB connector on the keyboard only serves as a way to import .wav files to the keyboard by the way, not out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Odd. The spec sheet on the site lists a MIDI connector as IN/OUT/THRU. They look kind of like XLR though, you might be overlooking it. The USB connector on the keyboard only serves as a way to import .wav files to the keyboard by the way, not out.
    Ah shit you're right! Just noticed. So yeah, no XLR on the keyboard, however they do have the MIDI ports.... 3 of them. x_X How easy would it be to get a cable for this type of plug? =S

And damn it regarding the USB.

---------- Post added 2012-04-01 at 01:02 PM ----------

hmm, should something like this work?

http://www.samash.com/p/Roland_UMONE...face_-49948508

Albeit $40 sounds kind of expensive for a bloody cable.

Do I need to plug in the thru port as well or just the out port? x_x
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2012-04-01 at 01:03 PM.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    These are dirt cheap and can be bought at any music store, probably along with the MIDI to USB adapter. If I get home I'll do some searching on newegg or something to give an example of what to get

10+ Year Old Account
    These are dirt cheap and can be bought at any music store, probably along with the MIDI to USB adapter. If I get home I'll do some searching on newegg or something to give an example of what to get
    Refresh the page good sir and check my link out. ;p That one has it all in one, however it might be better to send it first through a mixer, who knows. I'll have to talk to the guy at Sam Ash today.
    "A flower.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The site says it has USB onboard, as well as 4 line outputs, two in stereo and two in mono as well as one line input and a S/PDIF 24-bit digital output. It sounds like the USB functionality is just for adding and removing samples from the keyboard and not actually recording. You could always record to your computer through a USB interface device like a M-Audio Fast Track since it supports 1/4 inch inputs and records via it's USB cable, there are other devices that do the same thing that might be cheaper I am sure.

Deleted
    Ah I see. Just the out port will do 40$ should be about right thoufh, it's a cable and an adapter in one so it should be just plug & play.

Fuzzeekee
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...?ProductId=562

So this keyboard has been sitting in my basement tucked away, however I want to put it to use, perhaps learn how to play the keyboards on it. My Dad bought it back in 2004 and I feel like it's been only going to waste, however that's a fairly long time ago, so I'm wondering if it would even be compatible with my computer, how I'd plug it in, what software I should use, how easy it would be to record/edit, all of that. This is one realm I've pretty much never dived into so totally new and completely unsure for the most part how any of it would work. Would I route it via USB to my computer? I have the idea that that is probably optimal for my situation, however I'm unsure. If I need to go buy some cables (i.e. USB male to female/perhaps a mixer) it should not be a problem, however I'd like to avoid spending too much.
    You need something like this: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html ...Don't get a knock off, or you will risk compatibility issues. Every store has one of those, unless it's a terrible one...The UNO works with basically any MIDI device, I ironically was using mine for a guitar floor processor, to control the patches...

I personally use an AXIOM 49 if you are wondering...Which is a USB bus-powered controller, but it's not as nice to play as the one you have... You can hook any of these keyboards up with any DAW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation

Sadly I use ableton live lite, because it's free, and I just blew over $500 on spectrasonics omnisphere (VST instrument plunks into a DAW easily). There are a lot of ones you can get, but ableton isn't really good LOL. (DO NOT BUY IT. I am replacing mine) REAPER is way better, and it's cheap. (You get a trial so you can see if you like it or not...) There are almost no good free DAWs. Sonar is pretty decent, and it has come a long ways. You just have to make sure you're not TRICKED by buying something too expensive or too cheap. You have a wonderful keyboard, so you're pretty much set on that. $30-200 should be your range for your DAW if you are going to "buy" one. But you can just rig up something until then...There are unlimited options, everything from http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plug-ins.html (UAD) to some super cheapo thing. And it doesn't matter what you pick, you just need the best one for you, that you like the most...

Hope that helps, good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: Once you get your keyboard hooked up, and the DAW installed, you just go into the menu's and select your keyboard, the real fight is the VSTi's themselves, because they are pretty powerful if you get good ones. I HIGHLY recommend looking into a standalone product like NI's KOMPLETE 8...Reason by propellerheads is not a DAW even though wikipedia says it is. I have it and there's no VSTi support even though it's cool. Not worth buying though. I wasted my money and learned that way...(compare it to omnisphere and you'll realize why. There are videos where you can see it, and you can try it in store. It's pretty insane) ...Komplete is used for all the major movie soundtracks you hear (usually kontakt and absynth).

Reaktor in komplete 8... is a modular synthesis software tool. Imagine this but software: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lZO-3Uz0ps

A lot of this stuff is just playing around to get used to it. You should start out with scales and speed runs, then use a writing tool like sibelius, but you can get a cheap one like I have (guitarpro) or even go way cheaper with tuxguitar (of course it has almost NO compatibility 'cause it's free, but that wasn't a bad attempt)...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well guess what Fuzzeekee? Amazing enough, the guy at Sam Ash suggested the UNO and I guess it was cheaper or on clearance - got it for $40! So not too bad. I'm going to finally get the homework done I should have done a week ago and then figure out how to setup this keyboard and I'll have pictures.

In terms of the software to play into... yeah, still not totally sure what I'll use. What are your thoughts on Audacity, folks? I used it once for a few things but that was before my reformat for 7 Professional. The guy at Sam Ash doesn't like it.

---------- Post added 2012-04-02 at 09:13 AM ----------

Definitely going to have to move a coffee table that is actually to the left/behind the keyboard, so there is still a walking path, I've slowly taken over this room more and more. >_> lol
    "A flower.

You might also want to get yourself a http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...=USBinterfaces

I recommend starting out with Fast Track Pro. It's a really neat piece that allows you to listen to live playback as you play your instrument, because if you go through your computer and output via 'standard port', you become a victim of massive delays. Having an external interface reduces that delay down to minimum even if you decide to pass it through your computer for software effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderofl View Post
    You might also want to get yourself a http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...=USBinterfaces

I recommend starting out with Fast Track Pro. It's a really neat piece that allows you to listen to live playback as you play your instrument, because if you go through your computer and output via 'standard port', you become a victim of massive delays. Having an external interface reduces that delay down to minimum even if you decide to pass it through your computer for software effects.
    Ugh, yeah, I don't have that type of money available right now. I'm not worried about just going MIDI -> USB for now. What I am trying to figure out though at the moment is how to get the computer to actually be able to like open up anything from the keyboard, well, even to save performances. Damn how technology used to work was annoying. It should not be difficult at all to select on the computer to open up some file that is on the keyboard. >_<
    "A flower.

Fuzzeekee
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Ugh, yeah, I don't have that type of money available right now. I'm not worried about just going MIDI -> USB for now. What I am trying to figure out though at the moment is how to get the computer to actually be able to like open up anything from the keyboard, well, even to save performances. Damn how technology used to work was annoying. It should not be difficult at all to select on the computer to open up some file that is on the keyboard. >_<
    That's why you need a DAW. Also audacity is deceiving, it's actually for recording. It's great at recording plain audio, but it's not an actual DAW. It doesn't have VSTi support or really any VST support at all. It's more for recording a single source. Think of it as a fancy windows sound recorder. With a DAW you can record anything you "play" save it, and then view it later. And they usually have what's called a software sequencer built in. A sequencer steps through different notes of x octave you are playing in, and they trigger an effect, a synth oscillator, waveform, anything...

The main types of synthesis you will be working with: PCM (your keyboard by default is a PCM waveform one), analog (My favorite personally), tonewheel (imagine an organ), graintable/wavetable ( a crazy mix between analog and PCM) and then you will have other tools like a sampler, and effects. Samplers basically just play samples, and modify them. The best part about a sampler is it's easy to use, and if you get a good one like kontakt, you have an A**LOAD of samples to play with. My omnisphere has 50GB. It's pretty insane. But I recently bought this after salivating over it for years, watching videos of other people play it.

If you want quick functionality, reaper is your best choice, it's free, and not that hard to set up...There are a few others too besides this, but none match this: http://www.reaper.fm/ ...It's $60 to purchase (of course there's a free version which is 0.99 ....But look at the licensing, they don't enforce it, it's like winrar, you can use it but they expect you to pay for it eventually...) ...I spent around 4 hours looking at compatible DAWs that were "HOSTS", typically called a VST HOST. You will want a host because if you are serious with your keyboard, you will be using VST instruments a lot. Native instruments has a free edition of their's called komplete players. You can google lots of free synths too.

Also this latency issue grinderrolf is talking about, shouldn't be a problem when playing through your UNO. It automatically converts it. The REAL PROBLEM is if you didn't use an UNO and went from MIDI directly to your sound card (MASSIVE LATENCY HIT)....He's also talking about more serious recording, which you'd need something like that, but since it's just your keyboard, it doesn't matter...That's a good product he listed too. If you DO CHOOSE to record from other sources, you will need an audio interface, since any non-ASIO compatible interface is susceptible to massive delays/lag, that make it unfortunate....

Your computer is going to be a big part of the DSP algorithms in your VST software/host too. You want to have A LOT of memory, 16GB of ram or maybe more if it's somehow possible...(Warning: I am talking about SERIOUS synth production with the best tools possible, don't worry about it if you're not going to use top-end stuff, I personally have a totally LAUGHABLE amount of memory. A SHAMEFUL 4GB) There are a lot of options. I only have 4GB of ram and I'm fine, but I'm going to notice a HUGE performance hit once I start layering...

Deleted
    I don't understand a single word of the post above mine. I think Deltrus is just out to play some tunes and get the hang of the piano, not hardcore producing and.. well, all the other mojo you posted.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderofl View Post

Those things aren't worth a dime. I have a Fast Track Pro and driver compatibility since it's freaking release has been absolutely horrendous. There are constant compatibility problems with any Service Packs for Windows OS's and the software itself is a terrible interface that doesn't work properly.

Fuzzeekee
    I don't understand a single word of the post above mine. I think Deltrus is just out to play some tunes and get the hang of the piano, not hardcore producing and.. well, all the other mojo you posted.
    This isn't hardcore producing. This is BASIC understanding of synth use on a computer. If you don't understand you can google. I can tell you don't use a synth on a computer, so please try not to interrupt my stream of advice with some bogus info.

It's a lot easier than it sounds. You can google this stuff. I'm sure as soon as a person hears VST they think hardcore studio, but it's not the case. All I told him to do was download something, install it, and a few clicks, and he's good to go...I could be laughing or insulting you right now but I'm not that low. I don't want to be there when the whoops moment happens and you realize you feel bad. I don't believe that should be there. But you're trying to intentionally make it happen and shame yourself. I still think you're a credible person even if you don't know enough. So please don't take this the wrong way.

Hardcore producing would be with a massive mixing console, UAD, TC-electronic powercore, or something similar, AND a nice audio interface....