actual expansion quote

because my comment got lost in the madness of the april fools thread, this is an actual quote from the recent Q and A that Trion just released.
    Q and A here: http://community.riftgame.com/en/201...oaks-and-more/

question and answer of subject:

"Thanks for the extra role and adding pre-made “Purposes” in update 1.7 – do you feel there is room for extra souls or even callings in the future?

This is probably the second most common question we get (After will there be housing) and the short answer is yes. We definitely plan on expanding the soul system, we’ve been super happy with how successful it has been and in the players response to its flexibility and options. With that in mind we don’t plan on a large scale update (adding new souls, levels or callings) for live at this time, though we have a good solid idea what we would do when it comes to expanding the game further."

so no new levels, no new souls, no new callings planned.
    my thought is adding a 4th soul to a build? more points available? what other options?
    Experience is the best teacher.. if you can afford the tuition.

I doubt it. It has been a complete nightmare up to this point balancing the endless combination of souls they currently have. Expanding it even further might cause a dev to throw himself out a window.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    Id like to see souls to given to each calling so they can fill all 4 roles really. Give war a healing and support soul, give rogue a healing soul, give mage a tank soul, and give cleric an actual support soul.
    Torchlight II Vanilla Player
    Looking for a vanilla only group?

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40739

It would be nice to see another healing soul for mage, and another tanking soul for both rogue and cleric, and another dual wield soul for warrior. But I can't possibly imagine what other callings could be added that couldn't just be turned into a new soul. And from the way I interpreted your underlined part, is that they wouldn't add in any new souls, increase the level cap, or new callings through just a major patch, but reserving that kind of update for any kind of expansion that they may have.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    And from the way I interpreted your underlined part, is that they wouldn't add in any new souls, increase the level cap, or new callings through just a major patch, but reserving that kind of update for any kind of expansion that they may have.
    Agreed. "major" changes like level increase or additional souls would be saved for an expansion, methinks.

I'd like to see a bit more parity between classes in terms of the roles or responsibilities they can fulfill. As a Cleric I've got it fairly easy, but I'd love to see Rogues with something more heal oriented than a buff bard, warriors with more than tank/dps, and mages something interesting. I don't think every calling needs to be able to fill all 4 responsibilities (heals/dps/tank/support), but with an expansion's release, they should have more variety. 8 souls is too many not to have more styles to play with.

Honestly, as much as I'd love to be able to Mage tank of we were to get another soul I'd want it to be a healing one with some sort of mitigation cooldown/s.
    That's where Chloro really struggles and honestly can't compete with Clerics.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Honestly, as much as I'd love to be able to Mage tank of we were to get another soul I'd want it to be a healing one with some sort of mitigation cooldown/s.
    That's where Chloro really struggles and honestly can't compete with Clerics.
    Yeah, as much as Chloro is an awesome soul and really fun to play at times, it really lacks defensive cooldowns (or passives) and abilities to deal with spike damage.

Wish list,

New souls-
    Mage: 1 healing & 1 tank soul
    Warrior: 1 healing & 1 ranged dps soul
    Cleric: 1 ranged dps & 1 tank soul
    Rogue: 1 tank & 1 heal soul

- Player housing
    - Planar raids
    - 4 to 6 new zones
    - All races for all factions
    - Return of the awesome that was Rift beta 3->1.3; zone events that matter, hard dungeons, hard raids, steady raid and open world content.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    zone events that matter, hard dungeons, hard raids, steady raid and open world content.
    Wouldn't mind seeing zone events that actually beat the players once in a while, I've not seen one fail in some time. Hard dungeons = master modes (though I wish they would roll these out faster and allow you to run them more frequently), hard raids well let's see how ID goes, HK was pretty decent, and as for steady content I think we get that, though admittedly we've waited a little longer than we would like for a new 20man.

Only zone events that fail are the ones that go unattended or it just like 3 people. Back in beta those events used to kick our ass. I remember an event in Stonefield so epic there was at least 100 players defending the little town from the trolls with the insta-gib AOE. All the while full raids were out trying to stop the invasions/footholds/rifts. It felt like a damn war. Went on so long, I logged. Ate lunch, washed my hair and logged back in and my guild was still closing down rifts in Stonefield. Or the last night of Beta when the GMs let all hell break lose in Freemarch- there were 2 safe zones, Meridian and Kelari Refuge. Open world stuff is so ho-hum now it's whatever city.

Also I do not like master modes as the "real" difficulty. I could get that shit in WOW or TOR. New dungeon zones or don't bother with split modes.

Trion has already said they want to prevent over-homogenisation of the callings so I wouldn't expect to see Mage tanks/Warrior healers any time soon.

I think adding 4th Souls to builds would make little difference, there aren't many builds with more than 2-3 useless points.
    Adding additional Soul Points would pretty much nullify all the balancing and tuning they've done so far so I can't see them doing that either.

Trion has already said they want to prevent over-homogenisation of the callings so I wouldn't expect to see Mage tanks/Warrior healers any time soon.

I think adding 4th Souls to builds would make little difference, there aren't many builds with more than 2-3 useless points.
    Adding additional Soul Points would pretty much nullify all the balancing and tuning they've done so far so I can't see them doing that either.
    I don't think homogeny is a good argument when 3/4 of the classes can already do it. As long as the general style and feel of the classes is unique, being able to fill more roles should not be a problem.
    It would also be easier to balance than additional points or a 4th active soul. Different roles have specific needs that are naturally limited to a few of each class' available souls.

Primal's spot on. i remember Kervik sayin flat out they they have zero plans to make a mage tanking soul. i believe it was in the interview he did with bluedot. yeah, just grabbed it. interview here: http://bluedots.org/old/2011/11/10/i...w-with-kervik/

quote here in #4: "Mage tanking…this has been coming up since beta in one form or another. Having a Mage soul that is the designated “tank” soul for the calling is something that honestly isn’t in the cards."

I think their point was that they didn't want each class to be able to do everything, they wanted to preserve a bit of the uniqueness to each class.
    Diluting the uniqueness would be bad thing since it's in such short supply already.
    Inquisitor is just a simplified Mage, Warrior dps is Rogue dps with a higher builder to finisher ratio etc, etc

Edit: That was the exact post I was taking my information from Daz

Edit: That was the exact post I was taking my information from Daz
    you know i got your back brother

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Wish list,

New souls-
    Mage: 1 healing & 1 tank soul
    Warrior: 1 healing & 1 ranged dps soul
    Cleric: 1 ranged dps & 1 tank soul
    Rogue: 1 tank & 1 heal soul

- Player housing
    - Planar raids
    - 4 to 6 new zones
    - All races for all factions
    - Return of the awesome that was Rift beta 3->1.3; zone events that matter, hard dungeons, hard raids, steady raid and open world content.
    oh and shaolin monks, and pandas

Yeah such a casual friendly game now, back in the day (like...last year) things were way more hardcore. Don't know if we've been playing the same game but afaik GSB was actually buffed ( that to relate to actual diff of raid content).

Quote Originally Posted by DDazzle View Post
    because my comment got lost in the madness of the april fools thread, this is an actual quote from the recent Q and A that Trion just released.
    Q and A here: http://community.riftgame.com/en/201...oaks-and-more/

question and answer of subject:

"Thanks for the extra role and adding pre-made “Purposes” in update 1.7 – do you feel there is room for extra souls or even callings in the future?

This is probably the second most common question we get (After will there be housing) and the short answer is yes. We definitely plan on expanding the soul system, we’ve been super happy with how successful it has been and in the players response to its flexibility and options. With that in mind we don’t plan on a large scale update (adding new souls, levels or callings) for live at this time, though we have a good solid idea what we would do when it comes to expanding the game further."

so no new levels, no new souls, no new callings planned.
    my thought is adding a 4th soul to a build? more points available? what other options?
    You are misreading it cause of how its phrased. What he is saying is that they have no plans to add new levels, souls or callings in a UPDATE (which is what the question was) but that they have plans to "expand the game further" IE expansions. The quote doesn't really give us much to go on but they have mentioned before about having ideas for other souls, so I think that and more levels is most likely. I doubt we will see anything beyond the 4 callings.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    You are misreading it cause of how its phrased. What he is saying is that they have no plans to add new levels, souls or callings in a UPDATE (which is what the question was) but that they have plans to "expand the game further" IE expansions. The quote doesn't really give us much to go on but they have mentioned before about having ideas for other souls, so I think that and more levels is most likely. I doubt we will see anything beyond the 4 callings.
    Actually if anything I would expect to see a new class before we see souls added to what is already a very rich and complex system. I could maybe see existing souls being exchanged or radically overhauled though. Elementalist could use some love, for instance.

I think that quote about mage tanking was w/r/t the state of the game at the time. The Warrior dev also stated something similar when the big Warrior overhaul went down, but was clearly directed at the current place of Warriors. There wasn't any language that excluded the potential for new souls or party roles. Also I think the hegemony thing is BS. =)