So in areanas I hesistate on the get go.

I was doing some random arenas last night with pugs and I realized a glaring weakness of mine. I hesitate a bit when I don't know what target to hit in a team. Like I understand switching, that part isn't hard for me. But I see like a disc/DK team. I don't know which one to dig into first. If I face a feral rogue team, I have no idea who to hit first.

Normally I judge my first target by who has the least defenses. Or will be the most beneficial to hit. For example, If I see a warrior or an enhancement shaman I always go on them first.

Is there something I can do to know which target to start on first? Think this would help my preformance immensely.

It would help us if we know what class and comp you play.

If you aren't a melee then you should just chill and let the team extend, or if you have a healer you should take your time going in.

Also, you don't sound like you're using Skype because you should be discussing this with your partner.

It depends on your comp and the enemy comp dude there's no straight up rule "ZERG THAT FUCKING PRIEST" unless you're a Dk. Come back with more info.

I play a ret pally. I usually find myself with a rogue, mage, feral kitty, hunter sometimes.

That's my norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Baneslayer View Post
    I play a ret pally. I usually find myself with a rogue, mage, feral kitty, hunter sometimes.

That's my norm.
    In that case go on the first person you see and pop wings/trinket/guardian and kill something.

In all seriousness.. wait that was in all seriousness. Good luck!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankercow View Post
    In that case go on the first person you see and pop wings/trinket/guardian and kill something.

Honestly, this. I played ret/rogue til about 1.8k MMR and all we did was run in, pop every single offensive we had and even bubble+cloak offensively and hope we killed something with our raw damage.

I am suppose to wait?

I had one great match last night. It was holy pally rogue.

I went in, struck the holy pally hard (forcing the bubble.), the rogue was out at this point, so I switched to him. Managed to get the gimp kill on the rogue because the holy pally was too busy getting up.

Just be like that?

It's hard, I am the type of person that likes having a target to kill. It's easy in bgs, I just go for healers, or the flag, or demo, or whatever. Arenas it's different...

Keep in mind immunities are the enemy if you're a class that relies on heavy burst and not working an enemy down over time. If you're fighting a Paladin and a Hunter, for example, go on the Hunter because he can't bubble for 8 secs (though he can get HoP'd)

Deleted
    It depends on what class your playing with, hunter for example has alot of control so i wouldnt pop your wings straght off, infact my ret friend saves his wings for a WoG when its needed against certain teams which they know they cannot get down right off of the bat, once theyve forced a trinket and got something in a CC and can be chained they then roll out the pain game, the hunter also puts on continual preassure.

facing priest teams can be tricky though popping wings before a pain sup i would say is a complete waste unless you plan to hard switch and your game plan was to just force the pain sup and then hard switch and land the kill while your hunter (or rogue or most definatly mage) hits up a CC chain and damaging inbtween.

against rogue teams, run in get into combat so you cannot be sapped.

again it all depends on your team at the time so you just need some experience and experiment which works best in given situations for you personally, watching a Jimos stream from http://www.athenelive.com/ may be a good idea or his youtue page here: http://www.youtube.com/user/JimosEU he is a great Ret pally.

mages should DF the dps/healer when needed aswell if it will help you land a kill or get some serious counter preassure up he can always Snap to DF the dps after and nab that kill while you HoJ the healer after that, then the mage can blanket / sheep / nova + ring.

Hunters should be giving you freedom and you giving them freedom whenever the time calls for it, also the hunter can desummon and re-summon his pet to reset his pets CDs (or atleast sac) so he can double Sac if need be and he can ofcourse get the time to dismiss, again youll see Jimos and Braindeadly getting this off a hell of alot in there arena video's, all found on the links i provided.

Keep in mind immunities are the enemy if you're a class that relies on heavy burst and not working an enemy down over time. If you're fighting a Paladin and a Hunter, for example, go on the Hunter because he can't bubble for 8 secs (though he can get HoP'd)
    But he can detterence, Sac, scatter, silence and trap, twice.

in that comp i have personally had more success on going onto the paladin with early CC on the hunter once the bubble is popped switch then hard switch back once the bubble is down with HoJ / DF (or scattertrap, blind, stun + bomb ) on hunter, the hunter can be locked out more effectivley than the paladin, well if the hunter isnt that good and you know it you could just train him otherwise your not catching a hunter early in the game.
    Last edited by mmoc167c07865c; 2012-04-03 at 01:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankercow View Post

^this. In pretty much all those comps. maybe excluding ret/mage. run in blow all your cooldowns and hit whatever button lights up. If your feeling brave you could attempt to repentance the target you are not on, but thats some pretty advanced stuff right there.

gl.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can just quickly think about your comp and their comp and determine which target of theirs can negate the damage the longest.

Example, you and a rogue fight a paladin and a hunter/rogue/mage. Always kill the paladin since he can only negate 8 seconds of damage, the paladin can HoP his ally and then said ally also has their own cds. Hunter can deterrence once (twice if marks), rogue can vanish twice, mage can iceblock once or twice. Whichever target can avoid most of your damage the longest is the one you avoid killing. Normally a decision like that can be made really fast (by the time you reach your opponent if you are rushing), if you need take a second or two to think a bit if you need.