Thread: folding@home

10+ Year Old Account

folding@home

How much bandwidth can I expect to use by running this program?

Unfortunately I have to live with 60gb/month for the next few years (not by choice, I would pay through the ass to have something more realistic) I always cut it super close because I constantly monitor it trying to milk this over priced shit for all its worth.

Obviously I want to help but I want to make its actually possible.

EDIT: just went ahead and installed it while waiting for an answer and it apparently doesn't like my graphics card, as soon as I turned it on for the first time I had a graphics card failure and my screen blackened for a few seconds and then got a message it crashed and recovered with some weird coloring problem. I restarted and fixed the problem but tried the folding thing again, worked fine for a minute but after that I had some reeally weird shit happen.

Every time something would "refresh" (be different than I was before, like my cpu meter would change) It would be replaced by an ugly pixelled box of green and blue rectangles with other shit popping up in there, after trying to close the program it caused my entire screen to basically have a seizure and start spitting out random shapes and colors, there was no error message though and I ended up just pulling my computer cord because nothing on screen was working.

My current graphics card is a geforce 210m with ~2240mb of memory

I updated my drivers 2 weeks ago so I don't think thats the problem but I will go and check for updates and try a final 3rd time.
    Last edited by This name sucks; 2012-04-04 at 03:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    it shouldn't take up too much, the projects are a few MB at most, but it can add up if you fold 24/7 and are good at it, completing a project every two hours:

2mb x (12wu x 30days) = 720mb per month

however, since this can be done with dial up, that is probably on the high side

10+ Year Old Account
    See the edit

10+ Year Old Account
    then i would run the CPU only client, which will use less bandwidth because the work units take longer

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    then i would run the CPU only client, which will use less bandwidth because the work units take longer
    This, and the GeForce 210 is a terrible card for Folding, PPD and PPD/watt both.
    Super casual.