Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Sometimes people really don't think before they cry racism.

As stated in this story there was some grumpiness over the fact that a Grammy winning black woman was singing about chicken for Burger King.

So now, if you're advertising chicken, you can't employ black people in the commercial. GJ guys. GJ.

Another link: warning, Christian website. I think.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

10+ Year Old Account
    How could it be racist if a Black person has willingly signed up to do the role? What is the correlation between chicken and Black people?

This racism crap needs to stop, it's just getting beyond stupid.
    Last edited by Puck; 2012-04-04 at 12:21 AM.

What is the correlation between chicken and Black people?
    Tying fried chicken and black people together is a really old racial stereotype in the US. Like black people and watermelon.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    How could it be racist if a Black person has willingly singed up to do the role? What is the correlation between chicken and Black people?

This racism crap needs to stop, it's just getting beyond stupid.
    Fried chicken, coolaid and watermelon is an old racial stereotype.

But I do agree racism gets thrown around way too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Tying fried chicken and black people together is a really old racial stereotype in the US. Like black people and watermelon.
    Fried chicken is awesome. So is watermelon. I've really never understood the stereotype. It's like pointing at someone and yelling, "LOL YOU LIKE BACON!" Well...yah, actually, I do. Why, do you have some bacon?
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.

How could it be racist if a Black person has willingly signed up to do the role?
    While I'm not saying this is racist at all, that is a terrible argument. Ethnic minorities can and do sign up for offensive racist stereotypes willingly. Again, not saying that there is racism in this particular case, just that your argument is heavily flawed.

EDIT: random double post
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-04-04 at 12:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    While I'm not saying this is racist at all, that is a terrible argument.

---------- Post added 2012-04-04 at 12:27 AM ----------

While I'm not saying this is racist at all, that is a terrible argument. Ethnic minorities can and do sign up for offensive racist stereotypes willingly. Again, not saying that there is racism in this particular case, just that your argument is heavily flawed.
    Really? Give me an example.

Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    Fried chicken is awesome. So is watermelon. I've really never understood the stereotype. It's like pointing at someone and yelling, "LOL YOU LIKE BACON!" Well...yah, actually, I do. Why, do you have some bacon?
    Fried Chicken and Watermelon were central parts of the poor ex slave and "mammy" stereotype from reconstruction onward, where they were popular foods among the low class and poor. Its a little like portraying Mexicans as tequila swilling cattle thieves, its just a tie in to a pretty racist stereo type.

So I won't say this instance itself is racist, but it certainly ties back into a racial stereo type to a sufficient degree that we should avoid it.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have had threads about fast food advertisements with black people and chicken in them, it is not racist, it is really grasping at straws.
    Waiting on GW2 and Z.O.E. HD collection.
    Currently playing WoW and hating YGO.
    My Feral druid Main
    And most importantly I shall give you the means to travel faster than the fastest starship. To soar to the ends of the universe and beyond.....

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fried Chicken and Watermelon were central parts of the poor ex slave and "mammy" stereotype from reconstruction onward, where they were popular foods among the low class and poor. Its a little like portraying Mexicans as tequila swilling cattle thieves, its just a tie in to a pretty racist stereo type.

So I won't say this instance itself is racist, but it certainly ties back into a racial stereo type to a sufficient degree that we should avoid it.
    THey -should- deal with it, as should everyone on a personal level - in the sense that we as people should use our intellect and discerm between coincidence and racism. In terms of company image, it's best to avoid stepping on the shoes of ignorant, sensitive assholes who might raise attention over racism and discrimination that isn't there i guess.

Really? Give me an example.
    Pete Hoekstra's recent campaign ad comes to mind.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbdXUWryXk

Deleted

black people have good taste :P fried chicken and watermelon is awesome! (not together though)

p.s. don't take this post too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by mea View Post
    THey -should- deal with it, as should everyone on a personal level - in the sense that we as people should use our intellect and discerm between coincidence and racism. In terms of company image, it's best to avoid stepping on the shoes of ignorant, sensitive assholes who might raise attention over racism and discrimination that isn't there i guess.
    Wait its better to be racist so that the people you're being racist against can learn to get over it?

Quote Originally Posted by mea View Post
    THey -should- deal with it, as should everyone on a personal level - in the sense that we as people should use our intellect and discerm between coincidence and racism.
    People can be offended by the insensitivity behind such "coincidences" even where there is no willful discrimination. We expect marketing to be aware of stereotypes.

10+ Year Old Account
    The watermelon and chicken cliche is a ridiculous stereotype... I'm pretty sure all (normal) people love watermelon and chicken, regardless of creed.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    People can be offended by the insensitivity behind such "coincidences" even where there is no willful discrimination. We expect marketing to be aware of stereotypes.
    That's a stupid thing to expect, though. Wanting them to actively avoid any stereotypes doesn't change anything because now they're excluding the race.

Also, at one point in time (and maybe still today) a disproportionate number of black people enjoyed fried chicken and watermelon compared to other people. This was because fried chicken and watermelon was popular in the south compared to the rest of the country and there were more black people living in the south compared to everywhere else. That's where the two stereotypes came from.

I'm not sure if Kool-Aid was the same.

I'm white and I freaking love fried chicken and watermelon, and grape soda. I Do not understand how some people associate those things with black people from america?

Lots of white people love rap too, but that is still linked to black culture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of white people love rap too, but that is still linked to black culture.
    That's the problem though.

The people upset about this commercial imply that because something is associated with a race, not even in a negative light, that it is automatically offensive and racist.

Is it racist for a NASCAR commercial to show white people eating a cheeseburger?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auguine View Post
    I'm white and I freaking love fried chicken and watermelon, and grape soda. I Do not understand how some people associate those things with black people from america?
    Of those, only the watermelon is a stereotype I'm aware of. In fact in Britain the cliche with fast food adverts is that they're aimed at the poor, regardless of race.