So I was in a multimedia store a few days ago...

There was this prebuilt sweet looking gaming pc standing there, with the windows key sticker visible.

Is it possible to activate windows with a key like that?

Was really wondering that...

I dont think so cause every copy of windows has its own cd key

10+ Year Old Account
    i very much doubt it, otherwise you could go to all good pc stores and take pictures of them
    Dell U2713H
    GTX 980Ti
    custom water cooling

10+ Year Old Account
    It is possible... but you would need an OEM disc from the same batch.

Basically Microsoft sells a batch of licence keys to a company (eg Dell) as well as a base version of each edition of windows (lets say Win 7 Home Premium) Dell then reproduce their own OEM discs and assign a key to each machine. This way it doesn't matter if Dell mess up and put the wrong sticker on the side of a case (which you can imagine would happen an aweful lot).
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-04-05 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks Djinni! That's all I was interested in knowing

Dunno if it still holds with Win7, but for XP and Vista big OEMs like Dell, HP etc have a version of Windows which will only boot with their motherboard. It checks BIOS for certain codes. CD-key that's supplied with the PC is a dummy number that tells Microsoft it's "Dell volume license for 2011" for example, but does not actually pass for the activation unless you're using Dell's BIOS/motherboard.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.