Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Google is planning to release digital glasses which enhance reality

They may not be available for sale yet, but Google would like you to know that the future is coming. Dubbed "Project Glass", Google has released some photos of what the now-confirmed Google Glasses might look like when released, alongside a video demonstrating how the UI might work.

Demonstration:

http://www.videofy.me/v/460072

That looks utterly annoying.

That would be like the coolest thing ever to exist in the whole galaxy o-o
    Last edited by Crow_eyeS; 2012-04-05 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    People playing games for fun, the BASTARDS!

that looks so cool!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sweet!
    Although the glasses themselves look really big... and they've have to allow for people with prescription lenses... perhaps a contact lens version would be available in the future too ;-)

Deleted
    That does look very cool but in reality it's going to be 10 times worse.

Is this a real video? Or one of google's troll video's?
    Playing since 2007.

In Physics of the Future Michio Kaku says that it will even come down to use have contact lenses that do this. They are actually in development.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    Going to be blunt.

They look......................useless.
    How on Earth do they look useless? You are about to go into the Subway and it tells you that the Subway is out of action and automatically shows you how to get to where you were going on foot.

Yea, really useless...

/facepalm

Deleted
    So where would you keep the hard drive for those glasses? The amount of information sent would be ridiculous.

I can see a person walking the street wearing a pair of glasses connected with a wire to a large briefcase. Bag phone all over again xD

Just kidding, i'm a dinosaur so i underestimate how far we are technology wise .

Deleted
    Awesome, Just plain Awesome.
    The app possibilities for these are amazing.

simple one off the top of my head if they where to go mainstream would be to have facial recognition software in them, Anyone wanted for crimes would have no way of going out in public as the glasses could scan the face of each person, compare against database of people missing, then upload there location and date seen to help police track them down.

I am incredibly excited by these for many many reasons. However for them to be realistically useable then they need to be refined to a point where they look like a standard pair of glasses.

10+ Year Old Account
    ME WANTS!
    That would be so cool and handy!

I bet the slowly control your brain making you mindless zombies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavemaker View Post
    I bet the slowly control your brain making you mindless zombies.
    And after a while glasses will spawn tentacles across your body!

Deleted
    These look great but too invasive for me. Maybe I'm old fashioned, maybe I just want to stay off the grid for personal time but everything above cellphone or Iphone etc. seems too much for me. Everyone being able to spam me with video calls, funny videos or pictures or otherwise all the time just sounds awful. At least now I get to not respond because I'm not behind my PC:P

---------- Post added 2012-04-05 at 12:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    simple one off the top of my head if they where to go mainstream would be to have facial recognition software in them, Anyone wanted for crimes would have no way of going out in public as the glasses could scan the face of each person, compare against database of people missing, then upload there location and date seen to help police track them down.
    You're being too idealistic there. Unless the government hands out these glasses for free, it's not going to happen as you cant force people to install software like that into them. It takes processing power away from other useful stuff so most people just wouldn't use it or if it is included on purchase, would find a way to disable or uninstall it.

Deleted
    wow....technology...DAMN!

I wonder if there's an app for finding people's power levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post
    How on Earth do they look useless? You are about to go into the Subway and it tells you that the Subway is out of action and automatically shows you how to get to where you were going on foot.

Yea, really useless...

/facepalm
    /facepalm to you dude, no offence.

1) But to manage all this to work it'll require to prevent human factor. Re-design half of our infrastructure (exaple with metro simply won't work because who will manage database with all avaliable stations and it's condition? Human factor will ruin this idea if only Google will implement some kind of sensor to stations that is unlikely to happen in near future)

2) How glasses will affect the body?

3) Right now we don't have power supply to work this out. (I mean i don't want to gave Li-ion battery on my bag/pocket.)

4) Lenses WTF i don't wanna look like hipster.

This is one of thous Hi-tech future stuff that only our kids will see.
    Last edited by OmniSkribe; 2012-04-05 at 01:04 PM.

I never got the hype around iPhone (or i<InsertWhatever>), BUT I MUST HAVE THESE GLASSES!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    /facepalm to you dude, no offence.

1) But to manage all this to work it'll require to prevent human factor. Re-design half of infrastructure (exaple with metro simply won't work because who will manage database with all avaliable stations and it's condition? Human factor will ruin this idea if only Google will implement some kind of sensor to stations that is unlikely to happen in near future)

2) How glasses will affect the body.

3) Right now we don't have power supply to work this out. (I mean i don't want to gave Li-ion battery on my bag/pocket.)

This is one of thous Hi-tech future stuff that only our kids will see.
    These "sensors" and warnings already exist... it's just a question of knowing where to look ;-) (sure they aren't owned or operated by google, but the information is publicly available)

Your human factor sure... would account for a great deal of errors... but until technology is superior to humans (IE we do what it says, instead of it doing what we say) there will ALWAYS be this issue... be happy with what you have and don't wish away you free will so easily.
    Power supply is dead easy actually... they're called solar panels. The display is 99% transparent with very little actually happening, so over 90% of your power usage will be a cellular/wifi connection. A solar strip along the rims, or even a transparent one on the lens and you'll have plenty of power.

And chances are if your kids see it, you will see it... (assuming you aren't already over 70years old, or nearing the end of your life expectancy!)

I can actually see a lens panel coming in very easily when doubled with transition lens technology. Making the glasses double as cool :-) because they act as a pair of sunglasses too!
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-04-05 at 01:09 PM.