Thread: Too Easy?...

Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Too Easy?...

We've discussed this before, but most of it was in theory. I recently watched this video from the Yogscast -*

From what this video demonstrates, it appears that no true skill is required to succeed. I understand that this is a lower level zone, and mainly for getting people used to the system (especially those who won't have studied it before they make their purchase). I'm simply saying that I hope the rest of the leveling content doesn't turn out this easy. When the army begins moving in towards the East and West towers, the commander of the East squad basically owns the miniboss which the game supposedly tells you requires other players to defeat. Nobody was fast enough to aid her, yet she came out perfectly fine and took the tower with hardly anyone's help. During the last stand of the Svanir, they send in a huge horde of enemies to wipe out the remaining players (basically everyone who began there, because their 'meh' performance was somehow enough to not get them killed), yet Lewis charges in and smashes about 6 enemies to pieces at once without dodging a single attack in under 10 seconds. What even? Finally, the major boss breaks out of his building, and gets shredded to pieces by a bunch of people standing in a mob on top of him, just burning him down.

Even Lewis stated multiple times he was expecting something quite a bit more grand. He even failed to really praise himself or anyone else on the job they'd done, considering throughout the entire thing it wasn't very difficult, it just took a while. Maybe I'm taking the event too seriously for the zone it's in, I just worry about the later content.*

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a very low zone (10-15) and like you said, isn't going to be butt clench difficult.

If it is too easy, then it can be tweaked, like anything in an MMO. It still is in Beta after all.

There really was no difficult content available to test in the press beta. 1-30 level zones and the story mode dungeon. Some players got to try the exploration mode, but I haven't seen any videos of that.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-03-08 at 04:10 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Too easy? Go watch the video of when they ran through dungeons then tell me it looks too easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure they're still in the noob zone, like the noob islands/pre searing in GW1, where you -can- die but it's not very likely if you have half a brain... And the lv 30 videos i've seen kinda scare me because people just get steam rollered by single mobs...*
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, "too easy" is the last thing that crosses my mind when watching gameplay videos... like the Ascalonian Catacombs and whatnot.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I guess I'm just being a bit paranoid, then. The dungeons look very difficult, and I know the endgame zones will be especially hard, I'm just going to be ridiculously frustrated if I don't see the 50% of DE content that comes from failing fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    I guess I'm just being a bit paranoid, then. The dungeons look very difficult, and I know the endgame zones will be especially hard, I'm just going to be ridiculously frustrated if I don't see the 50% of DE content that comes from failing fairly often.
    There better be a lot of failed DE's. I don't want a game where every event is accomplished :< I want aa kingdom in turmoil!
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    There better be a lot of failed DE's. I don't want a game where every event is accomplished :< I want aa kingdom in turmoil!
    I can see early level zones failing only on lack of participation. Later zones, I can very well see failure being common. At least level 30 and over.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    ANet has said they shoot for 60% success rate or something.

Have you seen the video of a Charr Mesmer fighting some kind of ice shaman in a level 13 DE? It was as intense as any dungeon boss.

---------- Post added 2012-03-08 at 10:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I can see early level zones failing only on lack of participation.
    I actually doubt that, since you can go to any zone anywhere, and be "sidekicked" to the level of that zone, and then still do the content there.

It's also not like WoW - just because you've completed a DE, doesn't mean you can't participate in it again the next time that specific one is available.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    I hope most DEs are pretty hard, nothing makes a game feel more like a grind than repeating the motions over and over on easy quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I actually doubt that, since you can go to any zone anywhere, and be "sidekicked" to the level of that zone, and then still do the content there.

It's also not like WoW - just because you've completed a DE, doesn't mean you can't participate in it again the next time that specific one is available.
    Despite that, players will naturally gravitate to higher level content. Not to mention, a huge world like the one in GW2, there is bound to be events that happen with no one around. It won't happen at launch, but it will happen.

It isn't exclusive to lower level events either. Higher level zones will probably fail often because of participation as well because everyone can't be everywhere at once. I just see it happening more often a lower levels because players see challenge, and challenge isn't what you get in level 10-15 zones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Despite that, players will naturally gravitate to higher level content. Not to mention, a huge world like the one in GW2, there is bound to be events that happen with no one around. It won't happen at launch, but it will happen.

It isn't exclusive to lower level events either. Higher level zones will probably fail often because of participation as well because everyone can't be everywhere at once. I just see it happening more often a lower levels because players see challenge, and challenge isn't what you get in level 10-15 zones.
    We'll have to see. I don't expect people to adjust their mindset right away at launch, but I think people will eventually realize that they can go to whichever zone they want and still experience a challenge.

I hope DE's are hard. I love challenges

They are barely out of the tutorial and newbie areas, of course it will be relatively easy.

Do a dungeon if you want the more challenging stuff. Read their mini rant about the dungeon they tried to do because they wiped so many times. The challenge is there for those that want it.

Deleted
    I echo the sentiment of "it's just beta".

http://www.killtenrats.com/2012/02/2...rience-part-2/

There is a brute risen, who appears always crippled. They walk about with one working leg holding a huge 2-handed hammer, and if they get close to player multiple knockdowns are imminent. Any players that have not learned to attack and move will learn to do it the hard way against the brute risen.
    The starting zone does feel a bit more relaxed. There are plenty of areas in Queensdale where even a soft-armored necromancer can stand in one place and use skills regardless of the mob. Player efficiency will skyrocket if one simple tactic is used: circle-strafing, but it isn’t necessary. The ability to use skills and move does not make an active combat system when the mobs don’t care either way. I have a feeling many players, such as I, are going to wonder where this exciting active-combat system is going to come in to play. It comes in to play in the level 15-25 zone.
    It's still opinions, though. Won't know until you play yourself, etc.

I think lewis was mis interpreting the map. I dont think the map shows every single player. There is no way of knowing if the other tower had players helping the npc, their is no video footage of it. Infact Lewis misread the event text on his screen and thought the NPC had died when it was showing and elite mobs health instead at the east tower instead.

Only thing i have an issue with is the last boss before everyone got the skill point. It fell over way to quick which leads me to believe that the scaling system doesnt react fast enough to large groups right when an event starts or that the scaling system only goes so high.

events only scale up to 10 people unless it is an elite event

Keep in mind PVE difficulty as in 'things hitting you' is a trivially simple matter to adjust in a video game. They might crank it up or down as play experience dictates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    events only scale up to 10 people unless it is an elite event
    Source? Because everything i've heard was all events scale up to 100 people, but elite events require at least 10
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.