Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

When will Vent die?

Ventrilo is the most used VOIP software in WoW and has been for years. But when will it die the software hasn't had an update since TBC and other VOIP services are much cheaper. It's feeling abit dated these days what do you guys think?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    It will die when something better comes along.
    Like mumble. Will just take time...

How is vent better when both TS3 and Mumble have less lag and better sound quality?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah i tried to get my guild into mumble but they wont use it bc of pugs.

This is simply another "When will WoW die?" post in disguise.

Ventrilo is extremely saturated in the online gaming community. I don't think it will die, maybe not ever really, until there is actually a different technology out for voice communication altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

15+ Year Old Account
    haven't used vent for ages, we do everything in skype

10+ Year Old Account
    Vent isn't better its just more popular and well known

My guild uses Mumble, it feels a lot better than vent, I just dont think its well known.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Modify View Post
    haven't used vent for ages, we do everything in skype
    Skype is a hassle with large numbers of people.

vent is easy to use, compared to mumble (or teamspeak, don't remember which, was a real hassle just to get into some server some alliance in darkfall was using)

I don't hear any difference in quality either, 3 dollar headset ftw

I haven't used vent in what feels like years. When Mumble was released, I switched. The only thing I don't like about Mumble is that I can't modify how loud someone is on my end. At least I couldn't last time I checked. I uninstalled it. Some of the regulars on my guild's voice chat were too damn annoying.

there's a lot of other software for voip that has much better interfaces or better quality, problem is people are used to using vent/ts/mumble and since they are all working fine they don't really need to improve just to get that extra little upgrade

For most people, there's nothing wrong with Vent, so there's no reason to change. I can't tell any difference in quality or latency for Vent, Mumble, or TS3. And the last time I went shopping hosting cost the same price between Vent and TS3.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Oh god I love mumble, but sadly people hate change or spending 30 seconds setting up a new chat program :<

It actually used to cause a fuss in my old guild when we pugged a few people for alt runs and they invariably couldn't get their heads around setting it up (apparently it's akin to rocket science to your average pug player).

anyhoo yes, I find mumble a pleasure to use, and vent a chore ( sound quality seems inferior, people tend to be too quiet/loud) as much fun as it is going through vent individually turning users up or down in volume to acheive the even volumes mumble seems to create automatically...

What's with people and when will X die threads...
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Quote Originally Posted by geekx View Post
    Ventrilo is the most used VOIP software in WoW and has been for years. But when will it die the software hasn't had an update since TBC and other VOIP services are much cheaper. It's feeling abit dated these days what do you guys think?
    My guild switched to Mumble years ago. It's far better.

I stopped using vent ages ago. My 10 man uses Skype. Much, much better sound quality, and it's free. Way better than vent could ever hope to be. I can't believe anybody outside of 25 man raiders still use vent.

10+ Year Old Account
    People use vent because they havnt tried mumble. Vent talk response time is terrible. Mumble is damn near instant.

It's starting to die more and more it seems.
    I'm seeing more and more people all the time switch to Mumble, since it's just better. Better sound quality, easier ui, more options, etc.

It's just a matter of time, really. I'm expecting Mumble to be the break-through software tbh.

Deleted
    Yeah i tried to get my guild into mumble but they wont use it bc of pugs.
    Doesn't take much to download mumble, so any pug can use it. I've been using it for ages and I'm very, very happy with it.