Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Low IQ Linked to Conservative Beliefs & Racial Prejudice/Homophobia

There's no gentle way to put it: People who give in to racism and prejudice may simply be dumb, according to a new study that is bound to stir public controversy.

The research finds that children with low intelligence are more likely to hold prejudiced attitudes as adults. These findings point to a vicious cycle, according to lead researcher Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario. Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, the study found. Those ideologies, in turn, stress hierarchy and resistance to change, attitudes that can contribute to prejudice, Hodson wrote in an email to LiveScience.

People with lower cognitive abilities also had less contact with people of other races.

Hodson was quick to note that the despite the link found between low intelligence and social conservatism, the researchers aren't implying that all liberals are brilliant and all conservatives stupid. The research is a study of averages over large groups, he said. "There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals," Hodson said.

Nosek gave another example to illustrate the dangers of taking the findings too literally. "We can say definitively men are taller than women on average," he said. "But you can't say if you take a random man and you take a random woman that the man is going to be taller. There's plenty of overlap."

In another study, this one in the United States, Hodson and Busseri compared 254 people with the same amount of education but different levels of ability in abstract reasoning. They found that what applies to racism may also apply to homophobia. People who were poorer at abstract reasoning were more likely to exhibit prejudice against gays. As in the U.K. citizens, a lack of contact with gays and more acceptance of right-wing authoritarianism explained the link.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/low-iq-conserv...180403506.html

If you look for something you will find it. I'm sorry all this "data" is useless garbage.

Deleted
    Well is this new at all? I mean it's not secret that people with lower intelligence have a tendency to these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    If you look for something you will find it. I'm sorry all this "data" is useless garbage.
    You have no idea how statistics and research work, do you?

By the same cockamamie logic, this study

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...servative.html

shows that conservatives are alpha males who actually get shit done instead of blogging on it. So go ahead, researchers, do your studies, meanwhile your gf/wife is getting it on with a real man.

A conservative man.

Funny how silly studies can fly any way you want them to.

*edit: bad link, sorry, guess it's my lesser evolved conservative brain. Lates, brah.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2012-04-12 at 08:47 AM.

Your link is broken Atsa, but I'm sure you are just linking that other thread about how on average conservative males are more muscular than liberal males.

10+ Year Old Account
    anyone can make puzzle pieces fit if you force it. and i'm not even a repub/conserve. i find studies to be lacking in credibility. did you know that an apple a day will not keep the doctor away? oh wait, it can. oh wait, its good again....see where i'm going with this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Funny how silly studies can fly any way you want them to.
    No, actually what's funny is that people ask for studies, sources and citations all the time when people make claims on here.

And now when the sources proving these statements are provided, suddenly the studies are biased. LOL

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    What this guy said.

Look, I could care less about homophobia or racism. If you look for it you will find it. Have seen rich and intelligent men be prejudice against both race and sexuality of a person, at the same time.

Intelligent men are little less likely to admit to something like that, don't ya think? While the flatheads scratch and burp. Well all don't like shit about life, some people, race is an issue. As long as isn't violent, why would you give a fuck?

Only racists and homophobics are only ones concerned about being racist or homophobic. Like, hate, love, or whatever me just don't touch me. We are cool.

Deleted
    I can imagine this being generally true, as why would anyone who has a little bit of common sense be Homophobic or Racist?

However, when you're looking specifically for patterns or information within data you're bound to find it. Intelligent people are probably just as Homophobic & Racist. It is like trying to find a trend in how many women go shopping, and then spend money. It is bound to happen, just as Racism, Sexism & Homophobia is in a lower IQ section of society, but it certainly isn't limited to that section, although it may have a high quantity of these people.

Deleted
    I guess the next conspiracy theory you guys are gonna spew is that the Canadian university professor was actually hired by the left-wing to make conservatives look bad.

Seriously, this study should make conservatives introspect about their ideals, rather than just dismiss the claims as frivolous.

Denying this and claiming the study is false without any proof merely solidifies the researchers argument. Intelligent individuals assess a claim with reason, logic and proof. Not with angry denials of the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    I guess the next conspiracy theory you guys are gonna spew is that the Canadian university professor was actually hired by the left-wing to make conservatives look bad. This should make conservatives introspect about their ideals, rather than just dismiss the claims as frivolous.

Denying this and claiming the study is false without any proof merely solidifies the researchers argument. Intelligent individuals assess a claim with reason, logic and proof. Not with angry denials of the truth.
    Kind of like the study I linked showing conservatives are more masculine and, well, manly?

I mean, you are objective of course.

Right?

Look, I could care less about homophobia or racism. If you look for it you will find it. Have seen rich and intelligent men be prejudice against both race and sexuality of a person, at the same time.

Intelligent men are little less likely to admit to something like that, don't ya think? While the flatheads scratch and burp. Well all don't like shit about life, some people, race is an issue. As long as isn't violent, why would you give a fuck?

Only racists and homophobics are only ones concerned about being racist or homophobic. Like, hate, love, or whatever me just don't touch me. We are cool.
    So you actually think racism and homophobia are ok as long it isn't violent? Therefore separate but equal and the lack of gay marriage is ok, since it isn't violent?

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 04:57 AM ----------

Kind of like the study I linked showing conservatives are more masculine and, well, manly?

Right?
    You realize that muscle is not the inherent definition of a man, right?

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So you actually think racism and homophobia are ok as long it isn't violent? Therefore separate but equal and the lack of gay marriage is ok, since it isn't violent?

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 04:57 AM ----------

You realize that muscle is not the inherent definition of a man, right?
    Don't people on the left believe morality and values are relative?

Who are you to lecture anyone on what to believe or think? What are you, a conservative?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    I guess the next conspiracy theory you guys are gonna spew is that the Canadian university professor was actually hired by the left-wing to make conservatives look bad.

Seriously, this study should make conservatives introspect about their ideals, rather than just dismiss the claims as frivolous.

What are you even talking about? I didn't say the information wasn't credible, is it useful? I don't really think so, this isn't something that could be generally assumed about stupid people? News flash, stupid people are stupid about stupid things.

Did we really need to bother with the study?

Don't people on the left believe morality and values are relative?

Who are you to lecture anyone on what to believe or think? What are you, a conservative?
    Lecture? A question is a lecture? I'm trying to verify that I understand what he said. I can't speak for what other people believe regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum.

Deleted

Right?
    If it's an independent study with a high level of credibility then sure. I'm sure the study does not claim that ALL conservative men are more masculine than ALL liberals. But if the data generally supports the idea that conservative men are far more likely to be manly than liberals, then who am I to argue against it without some valid data of my own?

If that's what the data shows then hey, its highly indicative, maybe not conclusive, but highly indicative.

10+ Year Old Account
    according to a new study that is bound to stir public controversy.
    Probably made exactly for that. I agree with poster Jokerfiend, useless garbage.
    Time is the greatest teacher, but unfortunately, it ends up killing all of its students.

This is not surprising lol

Okay, not to sound like a nitpicker here, but I did notice something in the OP. It specifically mentions SOCIAL conservatism as the symptom of low intelligence. Now for those of you who don't know the difference between a social conservative and fiscal conservative is that social conservatives try to, and support, legislating morality. The primary faction that makes up social conservatives are low-middle income Christians, at least in America.