Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

MoP Beta Mage Videos (+Q/A)

Hey everyone im on beta and i have decided to give a little back to the mage comunity. I have no intrest in pandas and monkies only mages so all my time on beta is pretty much dedicated to messing about with mage. I have been a mage since vanilla beta so ive extensive experiance with mage playstyles and how they feel. I hope that my live experiance will let me be able to focus on the aspects that might intrest peopel the most and things that will alter playstyle the most.

I am on MoP beta and am making videos about all the new mage stuff and anything about mages anyone wants to see or have me cover.
    I will be doing some themed videos on fire frost arcane talents glyphs cleave/aoe. I can also cover or do more work on any areas anyone is intrested in seeing or people want me to try out. There are som limitations for example i can not test any of the level 90 things and I would need to find a testing partner for any specific pvp things like DRs ect.

I can also try and answer some questions about the mage things in beta.

Feel free to sugest changes in how i do things if you feel it will make for a better viewing experiance and i will try my best to improve!

Here are the videos so far check back for more! (remember to like for the sake of the mage children!)

Threads with info
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post16182431
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...3415650?page=1

Fire mage gameplay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEq782pscXU

Arcane mage gameplay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8HHb64jgB0

Frost mage gameplay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23NZU08TIgs

Mage Glyphs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFuE_3FgsEs

Mage Talents
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdMvVEKNtg8

Patch 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVHUAwj4kQ

Tier 1 talent analysis (raiding) + missed info video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip2pEaY4Pao
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU3a-MMJ_vk

Tier 2 talent analysis (raiding)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NadFg4rEE-M

Tier 3 talent analysis (raiding)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TAFofkruH4

Tier 4 talent analysis (raiding)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOjGlJAppHQ

Patch 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUQsesXwmfo

Alter Time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0miDR1Vt78
    Last edited by Frah; 2012-04-13 at 05:19 AM.

Nice videos! Thanks
    I'm excited about the force hot streaks with inferno blast as well as HS procs stacking.

Thx for the vids, was that right about combustion at 30 sec cd? also arcane power at 20?

New spell effects?
    For mages how do you regain mana without any mana regen ie mage armor and how is your mana pool in mists, heard alot of stuff about these 2 topics so thought id ask?

I don't understand why you continue to cast some others arcane blast when you have a proc of arcane missile since it gives charge too.
    sure AM will do more dmg full stacked but AM can proc from AM too and since it always do more dmg than AB you should use it every proc.

Deleted
    Hey, I don't have much time so sorry if this all sounds rushed.

Thanks for doing this! Was contemplating doing something similar myself but still has no access

Have you tried mastery stacking and seeing how that works out currently? I realise it will most likely change somehow when MoP comes out but would be good to see how that pans out. If anyone is wondering, my thinking is a really high constant ignite might be the way for fire to have steady constant dps instead of the current dependence we have had on Pyroblast procs for god knows how long!

Thanks

Deleted
    I don't understand why you continue to cast some others arcane blast when you have a proc of arcane missile since it gives charge too.
    sure AM will do more dmg full stacked but AM can proc from AM too and since it always do more dmg than AB you should use it every proc.
    Since arcane missible is free I THINK it can be a DPS increase to cast 4 AB to try and get 2 stacks of AM, and then cast them in a row to be more mana efficient and pull a little more DPS. It's like being able to cast two extra free AB in the current rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Aktec View Post
    Thx for the vids, was that right about combustion at 30 sec cd? also arcane power at 20?
    Thats my tier bonus messing with it. Its 45 sec for combustion 1 min AP.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotaro View Post
    New spell effects?
    For mages how do you regain mana without any mana regen ie mage armor and how is your mana pool in mists, heard alot of stuff about these 2 topics so thought id ask?
    Haste is your mana regen now. My combat regen is about 6k mana every 5 seconds. Mana pool is dependant on your level. At 85 you have 100k mana.

Quote Originally Posted by jangkun View Post
    AM and AB hit hardest at 4 stacks. But at 4 stacks AB costs too much mana to be viable. So to be able to cast at the high dps 4 stack you want to use AM at 4 stacks. So on one hand your trying to keep your AM procs till 4 stacks on the other you dont want to waste procs by overwriting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Utsegi View Post
    Hey, I don't have much time so sorry if this all sounds rushed.

Thanks for doing this! Was contemplating doing something similar myself but still has no access

Have you tried mastery stacking and seeing how that works out currently? I realise it will most likely change somehow when MoP comes out but would be good to see how that pans out. If anyone is wondering, my thinking is a really high constant ignite might be the way for fire to have steady constant dps instead of the current dependence we have had on Pyroblast procs for god knows how long!

Thanks
    I am not really gonna TC numbers on stats because that will change drasticly with ratings at 90. I might return to the topic once the level cap is 90 and see how much ratings we are likely to have early on to see what we can achieve. Pyro procs are not rare anymore due to inferno blast. Ignite doesnt need crits to happen its just a flat amount of your dmg. So crit dependance is a thig of the past. Coupled with low CD ignite and the fact my ignite fairly consistantly sits between 8-13k means looking for big ignites is not a problem at all.

Deleted
    Originally Posted by Aktec
    Originally Posted by Frah
    Thats my tier bonus messing with it. Its 45 sec for combustion 1 min AP.
    Combustion has a 45 sec CD now but what about the new Glyph of Combustion, doesn't that reduce the CD by 100% and increase the duration by 100%? Wouldn't that mean 20 second Combustions on a 22-23 second CD?

---------- Post added 2012-03-29 at 07:55 AM ----------

Nevermind, my bad! I read it wrong, increases the duration by 100% but increases the CD by 100%, not decreases, that would of been slightly OP
    Last edited by mmoc2d974db7e1; 2012-03-29 at 06:55 AM.

Deleted
    The glyph increases the cd of combustion, you will have a stronger combustion every 90 seconds.

I have frost gameplay, glyphs, talents and patch change videos to render and upload today!

I am also moving the previous 2 videos on to a fresh youtube account because i cant go over 15 mins due to my boss kill videos having copywrite audio. damn you youtube!

---------- Post added 2012-03-29 at 03:09 PM ----------

Frost mage gameplay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23NZU08TIgs

Hi Frah,

thank you for your great videos! I have some suggestions and questions for you.
    First, I suggest to change to combat log tab of your chat frame, while you frapsing.

My general questions:
    - as a new build arrived, I would like to ask you to test that how "Mana attunement" works. Is it replaces the Nether attunement or they co-exists?
    - I saw your wand slot gone. Do you have your wand in you backpack? If yes, what stats it has (e.g. spellpower)? Can you enchant it? (p.torrent)
    - could you check, that how many base ticks the different DOTs have? what is their total damage? (ticks at 0 haste, if possible)

Arcane spec:
    - could you check, how many targets hit by a 4-stack Abarr? I only saw two hits in your video (thats why combat log would be nice to show)
    - could you check the damage of the arcane explosion per target? (how will an arcane mage do aoe, lets say at yorsahj or halfus type of fight?)
    - I saw the base mana cost of AB is 1500. In the talents, tooltip says, that its "1% of base mana". I assume tooltip is wrong. How much mana needed for a 4-stacked AB?
    - you say in your videos that slow glyph will be a must. Are you really sure that this "auto-slow" is also procs AM? can you do a test, e.g. doing 20 ABs w/o glyphs, and count, how many procs you have? Then repeat it with glyph. If you are right, then you should have significantly more procs with glyph.
    - could you check, whether DOT ticks can procs AM (or just the initial hit?)

Fire spec:
    - i would like to ask you to check how big is your ignite after 60 sec pure Fireball spam (maybe you can use Pyro+inferno blast, but please dont let the ignite to tick). Then use combustion please

Quote Originally Posted by NPI View Post
    Hi Frah,

thank you for your great videos! I have some suggestions and questions for you.
    First, I suggest to change to combat log tab of your chat frame, while you frapsing.

My general questions:
    - as a new build arrived, I would like to ask you to test that how "Mana attunement" works. Is it replaces the Nether attunement or they co-exists?
    - I saw your wand slot gone. Do you have your wand in you backpack? If yes, what stats it has (e.g. spellpower)? Can you enchant it? (p.torrent)
    - could you check, that how many base ticks the different DOTs have? what is their total damage? (ticks at 0 haste, if possible)

Arcane spec:
    - could you check, how many targets hit by a 4-stack Abarr? I only saw two hits in your video (thats why combat log would be nice to show)
    - could you check the damage of the arcane explosion per target? (how will an arcane mage do aoe, lets say at yorsahj or halfus type of fight?)
    - I saw the base mana cost of AB is 1500. In the talents, tooltip says, that its "1% of base mana". I assume tooltip is wrong. How much mana needed for a 4-stacked AB?
    - you say in your videos that slow glyph will be a must. Are you really sure that this "auto-slow" is also procs AM? can you do a test, e.g. doing 20 ABs w/o glyphs, and count, how many procs you have? Then repeat it with glyph. If you are right, then you should have significantly more procs with glyph.

Fire spec:
    - i would like to ask you to check how big is your ignite after 60 sec pure Fireball spam (maybe you can use Pyro+inferno blast, but please dont let the ignite to tick). Then use combustion please

I think some of your questions ill have a video focusing more on each of them. So far the videos i have done have just been very genral overviews of everything. The glyph and talent ones will be up tonight along with one abotu the most recent patch.

My general questions:
    This is covered in a video i will get up tonight

Wand is just another wep so it has the same stats. Ill try remember to show how stupid it looks :P

I want to go into more details with bombs in a video of their own. I think they deserve 5-10 mins each. Theres a lot of depth to their use.

Arcane spec:
    I need to check this in practice ill try make a video about it :P

I am planning on covering an aoe video on how hard each aoe is working how they interact and some limitations of the dated aoe system

I would go by what is in game. The website for beta is very dated. 4stack is 9k mana

Yes simple test. AB with no AM stack with glyph procced me instantly to 2 stacks without any other casts. So it definately works :P

It is just inital casts

Fire spec:
    you cant stop ignite ticking it will constantly tick. My normal ignites on a dummy were 8-13k

excellent vids! certainly feeds me as im not in the beta yet

something you could try:

get 10 stacks with the 4 set, use combustion, does it instantly come back off CD? if it does, can you spam it?

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDuck View Post
    excellent vids! certainly feeds me as im not in the beta yet

something you could try:

get 10 stacks with the 4 set, use combustion, does it instantly come back off CD? if it does, can you spam it?
    Yes you can spam it but you cant have more than one up. When i was 1st playing with fire rotations I was going nuts because i was going oom so stupidly fast. I eventualy noticed that combustion was letting me spam combustion due to the CD thing so my 1 combustion was costing 20-30k mana :P

Ive worked out some things you can do with it. I could imagine if there is early cleave/aoe fights in mop raids that T13 4 part will be stupidly strong. Unless stat inflation kicks in hard.
    That said combustion isnt as hugely important as it is now.

haha thats awesome, so assuming it refreshes the current combustion and you kept refreshing it you would never loose your 10 stacks as it would never drop off!

but then again you will go oom in about 30 seconds although you could do this between the start of the fight to your first evocate, and then just normal rotation throughout the rest of the fight

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frah View Post
    I am not really gonna TC numbers on stats because that will change drasticly with ratings at 90. I might return to the topic once the level cap is 90 and see how much ratings we are likely to have early on to see what we can achieve. Pyro procs are not rare anymore due to inferno blast. Ignite doesnt need crits to happen its just a flat amount of your dmg. So crit dependance is a thig of the past. Coupled with low CD ignite and the fact my ignite fairly consistantly sits between 8-13k means looking for big ignites is not a problem at all.
    So, if we have no crit dependance, I assume we now stack mastery/haste? I know combat ratings etc. will change dramatically when we are 90 etc. But I'm just trying to get a good idea of what we can maybe expect. Could you try stacking some mastery and hit the dummies for a bit? Also the same for haste

Thanks again

10+ Year Old Account
    Really good video thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the videos.

It was interesting to see Water Elemental freeze giving 2 charges of FoF like the current Cata talent.
    I have not seen this "feature" being mentioned anywhere so this was new information for me, was this already in the previous beta build?

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frah View Post
    Only issue I can see outright is shatter was changed, but it's now double crit chance + 40%. Crit cap was lowered from 33.34% to 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by Evercool View Post
    Thanks for the videos.

It was interesting to see Water Elemental freeze giving 2 charges of FoF like the current Cata talent.
    I have not seen this "feature" being mentioned anywhere so this was new information for me, was this already in the previous beta build?
    It was, but it wasn't in the database linked to the freeze spell itself. Pretty sure it's http://www.wowdb.com/spells/105874-freeze-fof-test
    Last edited by Kuni Zyrekai; 2012-03-29 at 09:00 PM.