Deleted

How many g protein per 100g is good?

Hey guys, I'm trying to get into a healthier diet while deffing for the summer. Decided to try and start this by tomorrow, it'll be a hell in the beginning, but with enough willpower I reckon I'll get through it
    But, I also read that I need to consume a lot of protein to avoid losing musclemass - 2-3g protein per kg of my weight. And I weigh 75kg, meaning I need between 150-215g protein a day. And, from what I've been told, the average 17year old swedish high school (well, not high school, but we don't really have an accurate equivalent in sweden afaik) student consumes, let's say 80-100g protein a day. So I need to consume more.

Some tips about food to eat, snacks to eat etc. would be great - and keep in mind I'm a student - I do not have an unlimited budget. In fact, it is really limited. Extremely limited to be precise. ^^

Actually, let's remake this thread a bit: Let's post some yummy recipes you've got that'd fit the Low Calorie-High Protein diet?
    Last edited by mmoc1e9e1a2368; 2012-04-15 at 06:24 PM.

Peanuts and peanut butter (though you need to look the nutrition fact to get good one), lean meats(chicken),fish,eggs(whites especially), quark(note the nutrition fact on the product), dairy(f.ex. cottage cheese).

Few good sources there. If you cant build up a good diet where you get enough protein then you could add whey protein shake to your diet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inay View Post
    Peanuts and peanut butter (though you need to look the nutrition fact to get good one), lean meats(chicken),fish,eggs(whites especially), quark(note the nutrition fact on the product), dairy(f.ex. cottage cheese).

Few good sources there. If you cant build up a good diet where you get enough protein then you could add whey protein shake to your diet.
    Awesome, but at the same time, I need to keep the calories at a pretty low limit, to burn off the fat I have on my pretty little stomach. And I've heard peanuts are a very bad choice if you want lots of protein but few calories? Looking for something to snack on in school, mainly. The actual meals are probably easier to plan?

Well yeah peanuts contain loads of good fats too and they are abit calorie dense so maybe you should skip them.
    If you can stand the taste of quark and can find a good one(nutrition wise) that could be good snack if you can visit market during your day. the quark(mager kvarg) I use contains 9g protein 5g carbs and 0,2 fat = 100g and the product is in 250g.

If you need to bring the snack with you and you dont have ways to keep it cool or cant visit a market I would suggest buying whey protein. Its the most simple solution while you are having a long day and would need protein filled snack when you dont have access to fridge or market nearby.

fish is excellent, but the less sauce/flavours etc on it...the lower the calories.

not sure u'll be able to find a delicious high protein low calorie food you can keep eating all the time life is not that simple, if they could make healthy food taste amazing im sure it'd be as popular as kfc/mcdonalds etc etc. and people would be making huge profits.

Well yeah peanuts contain loads of good fats too and they are abit calorie dense so maybe you should skip them.
    If you can stand the taste of quark and can find a good one(nutrition wise) that could be good snack if you can visit market during your day. the quark(mager kvarg) I use contains 9g protein 5g carbs and 0,2 fat = 100g and the product is in 250g.

If you need to bring the snack with you and you dont have ways to keep it cool or cant visit a market I would suggest buying whey protein. Its the most simple solution while you are having a long day and would need protein filled snack when you dont have access to fridge or market nearby.
    Peanuts contain a lot of omega 6 fats, while it's good you need to maintaine a good balance between Omega 6 and Omega 3. With todays food we tend to get much Omega 6 and little omega 3 making many nuts counter the healthyness of eg fish.

Your best bet for protein, cheap protein, is Tuna, one can has 30g of protein. Hard boiled eggs are also great and cheap! Baked chicken is the one of the best sources of protein you can get because it is cheap and can be put into a thousand different recipes! Finally, if you can stomach it Liver has the highest protein count of just about anything you eat and is pretty damn cheap! Also keep a good complex card intake going as well, such as whole grains for energy! Tuna and hard boiled eggs are gonna be your two best cheapest sources of protein! Good luck!

Deleted
    Mkay, sounds great - thanks for the tip!
    But, something I can have inbetween the meals? Got any tips there? (Seeds, nuts, fruit, vegetable etc.?)

---------- Post added 2012-04-15 at 08:56 PM ----------

I do have access to a market, it's like 2min away from my school. But, I have no idea what "quark" is?
    EDIT: Checked what this Quark was - I'll check it out, but is this something one might eat inbetween two classes or during class, or is it more like something you'd eat as supplement for a meal or in the evening?
    Last edited by mmoc1e9e1a2368; 2012-04-15 at 09:00 PM.

Almonds and cottage cheese are good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    I do have access to a market, it's like 2min away from my school. But, I have no idea what "quark" is?
    EDIT: Checked what this Quark was - I'll check it out, but is this something one might eat inbetween two classes or during class, or is it more like something you'd eat as supplement for a meal or in the evening?
    Its basically snack. Though as I mentioned the taste is not the best. If you can mix it with can of crushed pineapple for example it makes it alot better. Just have a spoon and it takes about 2min to eat it. It should be rather cheap and the nutritional value is good.

Deleted
    Cottage cheese, quark, chicken, salmon, tuna, beef and turkey.

Also, check out "Beef Jerky".
    Perhaps a store in Sweden sells this stuff. Not the cheapest, but very nice nutrition values.

Also, protein shakes. Lots of them
    http://www.xxlnutrition.se <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnowo View Post
    Cottage cheese, quark, chicken, salmon, tuna, beef and turkey.

Also, check out "Beef Jerky".
    Perhaps a store in Sweden sells this stuff. Not the cheapest, but very nice nutrition values.

Also, protein shakes. Lots of them
    http://www.xxlnutrition.se <3
    I'll check it out.
    But, when you say protein shakes, lots of them. About how much does that mean? :P
    Because, I already drink protein shakes after each work out, but from what I've read I'm going to need to drink em throughout the day as well, to hit the protein limit? So, from your own experience, about how many a day would you say?

Deleted
    If you wanna get lean, I do not reccommend nuts at all, but some pultry & fish (tuna is really cheap, and tastes.. alright :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    I'll check it out.
    But, when you say protein shakes, lots of them. About how much does that mean? :P
    Because, I already drink protein shakes after each work out, but from what I've read I'm going to need to drink em throughout the day as well, to hit the protein limit? So, from your own experience, about how many a day would you say?
    To be honest it varies from the person(weight) and his need for protein. The thumbrule is 1 per pound or about 2 per kg. So you need to look how much you are getting protein from each meal. Ideally you want to even out the amount with your each meal.

The main thing here is that you should give priority to actual food and when you dont have the chance then take shakes. Whey shakes are supplements for protein and they should be used as one, meaning that its not ideal to get almost all of your protein intake from shakes.
    Personally I take just pre-workout and post-workout shakes and rest of the intake comes from food and im getting at the moment something like 3-4g of protein per kg.

To clarify there is no exact limit and supplements are not necessary to get enough protein at all though they are usefull as one source.

when i was in training as a kickboxer, and would loose weight before a fight, i'd start cutting out carbs and focus on high protein low fat foods like Tuna, Chicken Breasts, Eggs, and rarely ultra lean meats. if you look it up online their is a million things you can do with tuna and chicken so it doesnt get too old to fast. eggs are great i'd mix a few raw eggs into my protein shakes(2 a day) that i'd have between meals, and after a hard workout. for breakfast i'd make an omlet or scrambled eggs, id make 5 eggs all egg white but with 1.5 yolks in it, with low fat cheese for flavor, i'd grill up chicken breasts for lunch or dinner or both, but tbh after a few weeks i got so sick of chicked, i switched to fish and then went back. just grab a notepad and plan out your meals daily and switch it up, that way you wont get burned out on the same thing day after day.
    Last edited by damescool; 2012-04-16 at 06:21 PM.