Help me out please

So I am looking for a new game to play. I have been in love with Risk Your Life for years but there are only crappy private servers out. Are there any games out preferably F2P that have the style of pvp that RYL has? I don't like the WoW type pvp layout. I like actually controlling my player in pvp. Not right clicking from a distance.
    Last edited by Suffokate; 2012-04-19 at 09:45 AM.

Hm, I guess you're asking for some sort of a game that doesn't have the standard hotbar combat. I'll name a few:

Tera Online - currently the big action mmo just about to get released
    Mount&Blade:Warband - not an mmo, but a multiplayer game with big battles (up to 200), medieval theme, pretty much the best melee combat system out there right now
    Vindictus - free game, also hack&slash, not really an MMO but more room based, has great physics.
    Dungeons & Dragons online - not really a real MMO either, but has combat similar to RYL
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

I would try tera but it's not free haha. Do those games have the different classes + leveling up system? Are they lvl/gear based pvps? I would rather not play one that has the super elite gear that takes forever.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Open beta starts tomorrow...............................

^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    Open beta starts tomorrow...............................

For Tera? I still would not want to pay 50 + monthly. The graphics don't look good either.

um, how does Risk Your Life PvP work? but in addition to the examples the first poster gave, another option would be Guild Wars 2. Which is Buy to Play (no subscription, one time purchase)

The PvP portion is around 21 minutes in.

You can see how the combat works pretty well in there. The PvP will be split into two different "modes". There's the World vs World vs World mode (which is a giant open world which the objective is basically to capture keeps, castles, towers, supply depots, ect. The three sides are each a server, and it lasts for 2 weeks before the battle resets) the other one is the normal BG-type PvP. It's separated from the PvE world, level/gear is irrelevant and you have everything unlocked. (so it's 100% skill rather than who has the better gear or played longer) This mode is competitive like arenas in WoW, and there's also the unranked matches.

The game is currently is closed beta and will probably release sometime around June/July (no official release date)
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-04-19 at 04:45 PM.

Just google ryl pvp pote and you can see. Can't post videos yet I guess
    Last edited by Suffokate; 2012-04-19 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suffokate View Post
    Just google ryl pvp pote and you can see. Can't post videos yet I guess
    So combat that doesn't require a target?

Well yeah, Tera, GW2, Vindictus, ect.

Yes the opposite of WoW type pvp where you just right click on people. I like actually having to have skill and movement within the pvp style.

Yes the opposite of WoW type pvp where you just right click on people. I like actually having to have skill and movement within the pvp style.
    You don't like Tera, though?

For absolutely free, I honestly can not think of anything. You'd be better off with an FPS if you're going that route tbh (Tribes: Ascend, for example)

GW2, like I said in the original post, does not have a subscription. GW1 was a very successful PvP game, and Arenanet is looking to make GW2 even better. They're trying to make it an Esport basically. Other than that, I can't name anything with an emphasis on PvP like you're asking. It also basically matches your criteria for the combat. GW2 DOES have a "target", but that doesn't really have an affect on what you hit or anything. I can't say for certain to be honest, I still don't know why it's even there. =x

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    You don't like Tera, though?

For absolutely free, I honestly can not think of anything. You'd be better off with an FPS if you're going that route tbh (Tribes: Ascend, for example)

GW2, like I said in the original post, does not have a subscription. GW1 was a very successful PvP game, and Arenanet is looking to make GW2 even better. They're trying to make it an Esport basically. Other than that, I can't name anything with an emphasis on PvP like you're asking.
    I'm going to check out tera in open beta. Dungeons and Dragons looks the best out of the original list.

I'm going to check out tera in open beta. Dungeons and Dragons looks the best out of the original list.
    I should probably try D&D if it's a free game. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I should probably try D&D if it's a free game. XD
    I'm pretty sure it is.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    For Tera? I still would not want to pay 50 + monthly. The graphics don't look good either.
    You can't be serious.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

You can't be serious.
    I'm serious. Not looking for a p2p. I am in college and have bills. Just looking for a fun pvp mmo that can kill time.

best game ever made for the open world pvp with keep captures and so on was and is dark age of camelot .. although the player base is very small now when i subscribed back for a month or 2 months ago there were 500-700 people at peek time which is quite a lot when your trying to take a keep .. also its still not free to play only download i think ??

[youtube]YQ7gUeZOzFQ[/youtube] Here is RYL

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm serious. Not looking for a p2p. I am in college and have bills. Just looking for a fun pvp mmo that can kill time.
    I meant about the graphics. It's totally fine if you don't want to pay a monthly sub.

I meant about the graphics. It's totally fine if you don't want to pay a monthly sub.
    Ah okay yeah. I have yet to find a game that seems similar to Risk Your Life's pvp system. Downloading Dungeons and Dragons now though. I'm not into raids of dungeons though.