Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I know fire is unreliable but...

Hey so I was just on spine NOT SPINE @@@I was on MADNESS@@@, had a final DPS of 28k before wipe. People complained and I was kicked, despite telling them that fire is a truely unreliable spec with only having 31% crit (incl MA)

I might be doing something wrong?
    I do hold on my CD's for a while (Mirror Image, trinks and so on)
    Combustion i use when i get a nice ignite with LB up, on targets with a little HP at least.
    Didnt miss anything either so, hope I can get some tips. And i know i gotta get rid of PVP items..

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kachi/advanced
    Last edited by Takachi; 2012-05-01 at 12:06 AM.

Tough to say considering Spine is a terrible fight to gauge your damage when you're playing Fire. Without logs, I'll just provide my .02 on your armory:

Enchant helm, buy VP Neck, Enchant Shoulders (get Therazane Exalted), buy VP cloak and enchant it with +50 intellect, buy BoE bracers or craft BoE bracers and enchant with +50 intellect, enchant +50 haste or +65 mastery on gloves, never use +40 hit gems (belt), take advantage of socket bonuses in your legs, lol at your boots (+50 hit or Lavawalker, not +12 Stamina) and replace Artful with Reckless/Potent, never gem +40 crit, enchant both of your rings, buy VP wand, level enchanting to 475 to enchant rings, drop mining for tailoring/engineering/jcing/blacksmithing/leatherworking, be at 1742 hit rating (17%).

They may have inspected you and saw your gear and lack of .. everything... which may be why you were removed.

I barely do any DPS on spine, simply because there's nothing to DPS. Never had any complaints. Maybe something else was wrong?
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Its spine, who seriously cares? You doing normal or HC? not that either matters really, DPS on spine is not really that important, but its much more important when you do your DPS imo. but yea..

Sorry lol its madness!! i thought so much of not writing spine i wrote it. But thanks for the tips thelordmage i see what i can do about it most ench is just random

I can also mention i dont have alot of gold lol

Contrary to what you hear, over the duration of an entire boss fight fire is quite reliable DPS, it's rare that I'm more than 1 or 2k off of what my simms predict. Yes there is the possibility of RNG biting you in the ass, but most of the time people just use it as an excuse for not truly having an understanding of combustion. The biggest variable between consistent parses and ones that fluctuate is how you use combustion. With 4pc T13, combust as much as possible with a solid ignite. Don't sit on it until the stars align, rather wait for a good fireball crit, or a good pyro crit (not necessarily both) and watch haste cooldowns / procs. If you know one is coming up, getting those extra ticks is worth holding it 10 seconds or so. Obviously use your head if boss mechanics interfere or can otherwise boost the use of combustion.

What really upped my DPS and made it more consistent was when I started monitoring crit and haste cd's from myself in the raid. You are much more able to predict good combusts when you know what's happening all around, you start to get a feel for it. I personally use power auras for this but I'm sure there are other ways.

Well yea I can get good combustion spreads and so on, but yea il take your advice and use it whenever i can (with ignite ofc)

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 12:40 AM ----------

And also, when changing tentacles i just hardcasted pyros so i had dot and critical mass up, should i just scorch it?

Don't hard cast pyro lol. I don't really know how you get combustion spreads, you really shouldn't? I don't think I do...besides elementium terrors. Bloods die too quickly and I can't think of anything else.

Battle.net isn't letting me view your armory at the moment so...

Quote Originally Posted by thehordemage View Post
    Tough to say considering Spine is a terrible fight to gauge your damage when you're playing Fire. Without logs, I'll just provide my .02 on your armory:

Enchant helm, buy VP Neck, Enchant Shoulders (get Therazane Exalted), buy VP cloak and enchant it with +50 intellect, buy BoE bracers or craft BoE bracers and enchant with +50 intellect, enchant +50 haste or +65 mastery on gloves, never use +40 hit gems (belt), take advantage of socket bonuses in your legs, lol at your boots (+50 hit or Lavawalker, not +12 Stamina) and replace Artful with Reckless/Potent, never gem +40 crit, enchant both of your rings, buy VP wand, level enchanting to 475 to enchant rings, drop mining for tailoring/engineering/jcing/blacksmithing/leatherworking, be at 1742 hit rating (17%).

They may have inspected you and saw your gear and lack of .. everything... which may be why you were removed.
    Can't see his armory but judging by what you posted, I smell a troll.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds really dumb. DPS is weird on spine. As long as you're not being a noob and attacking extra corruption or killing elementals early... I don't see why it would be a problem.

since ur on madness just prepot warp at the start and start spamming fireball on the first target u see.. dont wait for the corruption.. get a fat ignite and combust.. once the tentacle at the back is attackable.. just lb dot the first one and dps as usual on the corruption.. ur dps should be fine.

pugs are stupid.. 28k is low but fire does less since the 15% nerf to ds cause the fight doesnt last as long and most of the time it wont line up with our combustions.

id never hardcast pyro.. only once in a fight during the prepull... use scorch for switching to new targets.

10+ Year Old Account
    First off he said Madness, not spine. Second of all I don't like your trinkets, you have 6 unenchanted items, and you aren't even hit capped. I would suggest trying to get better trinkets for both slots. Aim for lightning rod as a weapon, significantly better, plus you could use the hit. As far as your current gear is concerned, your gems are wrong in so many ways this is what I would change first. Your chest change red socket to pure int and reforge it's haste into crit. Enchant your cloak with 50 int , 30int if you're low on gold, reforge the haste to hit. Enchant your gloves with greater mastery, or 50 haste if you're low on gold. Change the meta socket in your belt to pure int gem. Enchant your legs with a spell thread, change the middle socket with veiled in it to pure int gem, and the yellow socket to int/crit. Enchant your boots with lavawalker or 50 haste if you're low on gold, and change the gem to int/crit. Finish leveling your enchanting, enchant your rings change the gem in your seal of the grand architect to a pure int gem. Unforge your bracers, and enchant them with 50 int, also get a shoulder chant as well as a helm chant, from via Therazane and Mount Hyjal Rep. Reforge your bottled wishes to hit, and replace it as soon as possible. Lastly reforge the spirit on your wand to crit, and replace it with valor wand as soon as possible as well. With these changes you will see an improvement guaranteed. As far as madness is concerned, if you're running LFR or 10man regular, I'd suggest using your CD's when the fight starts, that's when your power torrent is proc'd usually when lust is thrown out, if you have pots you're pre potting, and you should try and get a good ignite to combustion on. Use your combustion on back tentacle and "main arm after cataclysm"(if it isn't dying too quickly). Otherwise use combustion on CD if you're getting good ignites. Best of luck, might be a little expensive, but at least you can build from the ground up at this point.

Okey so to actually raid a successful DS as a mage, you need to put 30k gold in ur char?

Tell your guild to judge you on Hagara (movement fight) and Ultraxion (standstill fight), if your dps is below 30k on either of those, they can kick you.

Please do not troll

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Takachi View Post
    Hey so I was just on spine NOT SPINE @@@I was on MADNESS@@@, had a final DPS of 28k before wipe. People complained and I was kicked, despite telling them that fire is a truely unreliable spec with only having 31% crit (incl MA)

I might be doing something wrong?
    I do hold on my CD's for a while (Mirror Image, trinks and so on)
    Combustion i use when i get a nice ignite with LB up, on targets with a little HP at least.
    Didnt miss anything either so, hope I can get some tips. And i know i gotta get rid of PVP items..

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kachi/advanced

here are a few sites that might help u out
    http://www.noxxic.com/
    http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear
    http://www.maxdps.com/mage/fire.php

those might help u out it aslo helps to ask in guild if u can good luck

It's Madness, all you do is fish for Spellweave procs on bloods (OMFG SPELLWEAVE) and own the boss during Cata.

Okey so to actually raid a successful DS as a mage, you need to put 30k gold in ur char?
    To raid successfully on any character you need to spend the time and gold to make sure you are properly gemmed and enchanted in all slots.

It doesn't cost 30k gold (you don't have to buy epic gems) but yeah you have to invest in your character for it to perform well.

28k Dps is quite low for fire, using lfr gear and valor 397s its pretty easy to be hitting 40k or more. (did it last night 45-51k each attempt)
    Don't hardcast pyro except for at the start of fights where you can. Use scorch when switching targets to apply the crit mass debuff. You should be able to fit a combustion on the Corruption or Wing early on the platforms and have it up again for Cataclysm at the end. LB Blastwave impact flamestrike and you should get a ton of spell weave procs on the bloods. Make sure you putt up 3 living bombs on blisterings before going to single target.
    Last edited by Keiyra; 2012-05-01 at 04:26 PM.

wowecon.com reports that on your server Brilliant Inferno Rubies are going for 40-140g per. It's closer to 300g than 30,000g to gem yourself up. There are likewise plenty of lesser enchants that will serve you very nearly as well as the premium ones and at a much lower price on the AH, and you can get the shoulder and head enchants from reputation rewards. If you cannot be bothered to spend 600 gold on your raiding character then yeah, you shouldn't raiding.

As for your actual button mashing, first thing I'd do if I were you would be to reforge to hit cap, then crit. Crit's significantly better than any other secondary stat after hit cap. Second I'd go get the Combustion Helper addon. It'll track your Ignite procs and tell you when you've got a big one running on the target, (a prime time to pop combustion.) The difference between good Fire dps and bad Fire dps is Combustion timing:

Getting a big ignite rolling on your target before popping Combustion is vitally important, as the Ignite DoT represents perhaps 70-80% of the damage done by the Combustion. Living Bomb is a distant second, and the Pyroblast DoT is, well, it's there, but relatively unimportant. If your target's got a Pyro DoT rolling on it, great. If not, meh. Ideally you'll have two full-sized (read: Fireball or Pyroblast) crits within 4 seconds of each other on the target and you can pop Combustion during that time, but the stars rarely align that perfectly, and if you've got a single big Fireball crit with Living Bomb, you should go to town.

Also keep in mind if you have T13x4 bonus you'll want to try to wait until you're sporting the full 10 stacks of Stolen Time for the minimum cooldown on your next Combustion. If you don't have T13x4, it hardly matters, except that you should be trying to GET it.

On the Madness encounter, specifically: It's possible to spread Combustion to adds in Madness (the bloods, NOT THE TENTACLES) but I never bother. It's great for meter-whoring, but the bloods go down so fast with Spellweaving you're not actually contributing much to the raid. It's good to keep up Living Bomb on both tentacles in each of the early stages of each platform; Multi-dotting is a strength of Fire. There's not much more to do on the early stages of each platform - Trying to keep the Pyro dot up isn't nearly worth it. Never hard-cast Pyroblast unless you're fishing for a big Ignite. Wait until all the bloods spawn before popping your Blast Wave, which, assuming it's properly talented will do a pile of damage.

In the final (head down) phase you'll want to make sure there living bombs are running as much as you can. Pick the FAR tentacles which are more likely to live the longest (the melee will burn down the nearby ones). Once you're down to just Elementium Monstrosities and Deathwing's head, keep a LB on each while burning down the targeted one. Try to keep a Combustion available for Deathwing's head during that phase. Wait for Bloodlust/Heroism to pop it, as it does dramatically more damage during Bloodlust, for a variety of math reasons that aren't important right now.

By the way your armory link is useless. Next time log out wearing PvE gear. If your answer is "this is my PvE gear" then congrats, you've discovered why you got kicked: A whole pile of worthless Resilience instead of DPS stats dragging down your dps.
    Last edited by Auggee; 2012-05-01 at 05:11 PM.