Thread: Item binding

Item binding

Apologies if this has been addressed, but my search came up empty.

Are rares and legendaries going to bind on equip? It's been 10 years, but I think I remember that they did not in D2, so you could use something and then decide to trade it.

I'm guessing they won't, especially with the RMAH, because they will get more money if an item can be sold repeatedly. If that is the case, I bet it will be rare to find a great bargain, as people will spend countless hours lurking the AH solely to buy low and sell high. I may try to sell things occasionally, but I'll never spend a dime to get gear, via RMAH at least.

No items do not bind if you use them.

And Im right there with you, i will not be buying from the RMAH, might try and sell some stuff though. i just kind of fear that too many people will try this and it will be useless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iDot View Post
    item bindin really confused teh living shit out of me when i first started playing wow after d2lod..

Deleted
    It won't bind to you character since that would kinda destroy trading and the AH.

Quote Originally Posted by iDot View Post

And Im right there with you, i will not be buying from the RMAH, might try and sell some stuff though. i just kind of fear that too many people will try this and it will be useless.
    I think prices will be dirt cheap for most items, however.. if i manage to find one of those super rare items i won't use i'll probably try and sell it then reinvest the money or gold from said item into gear/weapons i WILL use... i won't be spending any more money personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    I think prices will be dirt cheap for most items, however.. if i manage to find one of those super rare items i won't use i'll probably try and sell it then reinvest the money or gold from said item into gear/weapons i WILL use... i won't be spending any more money personally.
    Same here i'm probably not going to spend any real money.

Deleted
    There are some "bound" items in D3, an example being the Black Mushroom you find in the beta. It is bound to your battle.net account. I have no idea what it's used for, but I would guess it's one of the ingredients for the new cow-pony-manbearpig level portal. As for actual weapons and armor, I doubt any of them will ever bind. As an aside, this makes them neither BoP nor BoE, since they never bind.

As for selling the items you find, items always carry an inherent value, which is determined by supply and demand. Thus, if you find some great item, if you start using it yourself, you basically just bought the item for yourself, as you're out of pocket it's inherent value.

Every time you can sell the item, and there's the potential that it will sell, then the item has an inherent value. Nothing is ever "free", even if you farm for it yourself. Same as in WoW; even if you grind leather or mine ore or collect herbs, then use those materials to create something, you still spent an amount of gold determined by the inherent value of those materials, which in turn was determined by the AH, simply because you could have sold them in the AH instead.

About 99% of items in the game are not bound and can be dropped, traded or sold on the AH. Only a couple things will be bound like the black mushroom, and the CE items you get (dye, wings).

Quote Originally Posted by Valo916 View Post
    About 99% of items in the game are not bound and can be dropped, traded or sold on the AH. Only a couple things will be bound like the black mushroom, and the CE items you get (dye, wings).
    You can however use the CE dye to dye other peoples armor (They drop it, you pick it up and dye then drop back down) although the auction house removes dyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.