Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    it's not a problem of spreading the primary stat across the colors, it's the other stat that are not worth and also socket bonuses are 90% time pure garbage. To fix the gems they need to change them in the same way of reforging, remove primary stats from them and make them another way to adjust the secondary stats on gear.

The only two reasonable options, either of which would work effectively, are to remove primary stats altogether or increase the stat weight of secondary stats. You'd still have people stacking a certain color either way, but at least it wouldn't be so cut and dry.

Increasing set bonuses further MIGHT also work, but they'd have to make them really really good, and it still would do nothing for blue and yellow gems.

Problem is in ratings' system and artificial change to rating cost curve post 80 without changing item budget ratios for gems to make ratings' gems worthy.

Rare quality crit gem in TBC was giving 0.36% Crit chance.
    Rare quality crit gem in WotLk was giving 0.35% Crit chance (slight decrease).
    Rare quality crit gem in Cata is giving 0.22% Crit chance (great decrease). Same time buff to primary stats via introducing armor specialization.

Situation with red color gems being the rarest of all colors (developers can stop telling that RNG is even towards all of colors, red color IS the rarest outcome of prospecting) doesn't help much at all as well.

I personally wish they would just get rid of the primary stats on gems. At least in that scenario you might see a greater diversity of gem colors used by different classes. It might not be perfect, but at least you wouldnt have one gem worth a ton and the rest worth nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    Well, as already stated, they'd have to rework the gem bonus system. If Strength was tied to red gems, for example, then there'd be absolutely no benefit to having red gem slots on healer gear, else they'd just always skip the slot bonuses.

I guess it'd be possible if they worked it sort of like...

Blue - Int
    Red - Str
    Yellow - Agil

And then had...

Purple - Int Hybrids
    Green - Agil Hybrids
    Orange - Str Hybrids

Or some system like that, but there would still be colors that are entirely useless to some classes.
    Blue-Int Pure
    Red-Str Pure
    Yellow- Agi Pure

Purple- Agi Hybrids(no connection to Yellow, so non-yellow sockets still are highly usable to Agi types)
    Green- Str Hybrids. same reason
    Orange- Int Hyrbrids. yup, same reason.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

It makes it easier to see people who obviously never played TBC, since in TBC Primary Stats were on Different colours to each, except for Str/agi.

Was:

Int-yellow

Stam- Blue

STR/AGI/ATK power - Red.

they changed it for a very good reason, to make hybrid gems much easier to differentiate.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    Remove primary stats from gems. This way we'll have more choice what to gem instead of ALL RED LOL.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post

There does seem to be a problem with the hybrid gems though. blue quality orange hybrid stat gem: 240 stats
    Thats a PERFECT cut of a green quality gem, looks like they 'tagged' perfect cuts as 'blue' quality, instead of 'green' Either a DB error or something at blizz's end

Deleted
    I don't see that. blue quality red main stat gem: 320 stats and blue quality yellow gem secondary stat gem: 320 stats

No difference.

There does seem to be a problem with the hybrid gems though. blue quality orange hybrid stat gem: 240 stats
    I guess it is a tooltip error: the agility one only has 160 agi, so unless int is not that overpowered vs secondary stats, I guess it should be 160 as well.

Int,agi,str: 160
    Stamina: 240 (which is correct, has always been 50% more)
    Secondary stat: 320

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 03:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieknight View Post
    Splitting the primary stats into different colors is a bad idea just for the sake of Hybrids. Let's say they move Agility yellow and Intellect to Blue. You'd be incapable of gemming agi/haste, agi/mastery, intellect/hit, and intellect/spirit forever. The problem really lies in the fact that stat weights lean SO heavily toward primary stats that almost anything but a red gem is useless.

Also some servers are way more overpriced than that. Sisters of Elune Alliance side is crazy high for the blue-quality red gems.
    Not true. The colors would shift.
    It is perfectly possible to have agi/hast and int/haste, if haste was moved to the red color. (making agi/haste orange and int/haste purple)
    Ther would be problems however for the combinations with hitrating, since that is a stat used by nearly all classes.

The biggest problem right now is that the red gems are in such high demand because of 2 reasons:
    1. The primary stat is way better than the secondary => will be fixed by doubling the amound of secondary stats on gems.
    2. the majority of the gem sockets is red, together with the socket bonusses being often not strong enough to justify another color, if there would be a blue or yellow socket.

PS: for Jewelcrafters, the profitability won't change much if the primary stats were divided. I think: while red will become less valuable (since less people need them), the cost of yellow and blue will rise, because the demand for those wil rise. I don't think there will be much difference between the two.
    It all depends how they divide the gemsockets over all the gear: if all 3 colors will be about equal, there won't be that much different, other than a easier selling time for yellow/blue, and hence a steadier income, instead of waiting for the slotmachine to give you red gems.
    Last edited by mmoc7f082fdd70; 2012-04-27 at 01:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see that. blue quality red main stat gem: 320 stats and blue quality yellow gem secondary stat gem: 320 stats

No difference.

I don't think we're gonna go from 50 to 320 because that's pretty retarded.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish View Post
    Blue-Int Pure
    Red-Str Pure
    Yellow- Agi Pure

Purple- Agi Hybrids(no connection to Yellow, so non-yellow sockets still are highly usable to Agi types)
    Green- Str Hybrids. same reason
    Orange- Int Hyrbrids. yup, same reason.
    Arguably this works but it removes the intuitive nature of gem colorings.

Currently:
    I want int and hit so thats red and blue so purple!

Yours:
    I want int and hit so thats blue and <color>, so orange! Wait, what? I can't mix blue paint with anything to make orange paint...

Rethink: Actually, no it doesn't work. It'd make red and blue sockets identical to each other for agility users as they can always get agil + <secondary> whichever colour they are.
    Last edited by mmoccc6bd9f123; 2012-04-27 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Rethink

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teorino View Post
    Arguably this works but it removes the intuitive nature of gem colorings.

Currently:
    I want int and hit so thats red and blue so purple!

Yours:
    I want int and hit so thats blue and <color>, so orange! Wait, what? I can't mix blue paint with anything to make orange paint...
    hybrid coloring is probably the biggest reason why they have put the primary stats on one color to start with.
    But the lack of having a perticular secondary stat for your main color choice, does have to mean you will be underwhelming.
    For example: If hit was put on the blue color, then int users would have to chose between int and hit, and the other groups can have agi/hit and str/hit hybrids. It all depends on what gem sockets we would get, and on the secondary stat division on the gear.
    if those int users would have enough hit through stats and reforging, the problem of chosing between int and hit could be easily solved.
    Last edited by mmoc7f082fdd70; 2012-04-27 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by patcherke View Post
    Not true. The colors would shift.
    It is perfectly possible to have agi/hast and int/haste, if haste was moved to the red color. (making agi/haste orange and int/haste purple)
    Ther would be problems however for the combinations with hitrating, since that is a stat used by nearly all classes.
    If haste moves to red then strength/haste hybrids are gone for some specs. As other's have mentioned all primaries being red was to allow more hybrids in the first place. Splitting them back out just limits specific hybrids from specific classes. I agree with removing all primary stats from gems and just gemming secondary stats with primary stat socket bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    I don't think we're gonna go from 50 to 320 because that's pretty retarded.
    So are pandas to some of us, but those exist. The stat inflation on gems seems to match the same inflation on armor, but that could change.
    Anyone else think Jaime Lannister only has the Kingslayer title because he was just too lazy to kill the king on heroic mode?