Is there a name for this?

Sometimes when I am reading a paragraph, I will skip to the next line in the middle of the line, or skip over portions of text between two words that are commonly used in conjunction.

For example, I might read "An orange contains a lot of juice." as "An orange juice." if it was in the middle of a paragraph.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean skimming?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

This is a tell tale sign of dyslexia. I was 25 before I realized the issue while I was doing chemistry work. It's not a big deal, with text the brain often ignores and compensates for it. With advanced math and numbers it can be an issue unless the person knows what to look for and rechecks their computations. When dealing with important text follow your lines with a straight edge, and with numbers or advanced math use a vertical edge. You can handle it if you use good coping techniques. I learned it on my own, but if you are still in High School there might be some good tutors available that know better techniques. AND spell check/google words are your friends.
    Wikipedia is not a reference for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrin View Post
    This is a tell tale sign of dyslexia. I was 25 before I realized the issue while I was doing chemistry work. It's not a big deal, with text the brain often ignores and compensates for it. With advanced math and numbers it can be an issue unless the person knows what to look for and rechecks their computations. When dealing with important text follow your lines with a straight edge, and with numbers or advanced math use a vertical edge. You can handle it if you use good coping techniques. I learned it on my own, but if you are still in High School there might be some good tutors available that know better techniques. AND spell check/google words are your friends.
    It's never happened with math, and I have no other signs of dyslexia.

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    You mean skimming?
    It happens even when I am very focused on what I am reading and I reading it very intently. Skimming implies a quick reading for most of the message.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    It's never happened with math, and I have no other signs of dyslexia.
    Then you'er not dyslexic. I was giving my interpretation on a symptom that is VERY common with the affliction.
    Wikipedia is not a reference for anything.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    he could still be dyslexic, i have it yet i dont get it with maths, i do get the same symptoms as him too

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrin View Post
    Then you'er not dyslexic. I was giving my interpretation on a symptom that is VERY common with the affliction.
    Actually, dyslexia only applies to reading. It can occur along side other learning disabilities involving numbers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Actually, dyslexia only applies to reading. It can occur along side other learning disabilities involving numbers though.
    I've been a pretty big reader and never had any other problems reading. I never mix up words or letters in the fashion that a dyslexic person does. I simply skip words or lines.

Something I neglected to mention is that I sometimes also do this when talking. I'll say a word that I am thinking of saying later on in the sentence.

Basically, I excel at most of the things that a dyslexic person would have problems with, so I highly doubt that it's dyslexia.

Another thing that happens to me is that I "hear voices" when I'm tired. It's not that I hear imaginary sounds, it's that ordinary sounds turn into voices that aren't really saying anything that makes sense. The sounds don't sound different, exactly, but they have an additional quality to them, and I process them as if they were voices. It's like how you might not understand a whisper, but you know that it's a whisper, except what I hear aren't whispers.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-05-09 at 09:13 AM.

Another thing that happens to me is that I "hear voices" when I'm tired. It's not that I hear imaginary sounds, it's that ordinary sounds turn into voices that aren't really saying anything that makes sense. The sounds don't sound different, exactly, but they have an additional quality to them, and I process them as if they were voices. It's like how you might not understand a whisper, but you know that it's a whisper, except what I hear aren't whispers.
    So it seems yogg-saron's after you good sir, you might want to watch out for tentacles under your bed

10+ Year Old Account
    Letter and word transposal doesn't need to be present for a dyslexia diagnosis to be made. It also seems to be frequently correlated with other learning disorders as well, including auditory disorders. Either way, I'd see somebody about it. It could be a learning disorder/processing problem or it could be a neurological condition.

Letter and word transposal doesn't need to be present for a dyslexia diagnosis to be made. It also seems to be frequently correlated with other learning disorders as well, including auditory disorders. Either way, I'd see somebody about it. It could be a learning disorder/processing problem or it could be a neurological condition.
    None of the other symptoms apply, either. A sneeze can just be a sneeze, you know?

I'm not really worried about it, I was more wondering if there's a specific term for the behavior. It's sort of like wanting to know what 'kicking' is and having somebody tell you that it's a classic sign of playing soccer.

Deleted
    Dyslexia can be without Math, just to clarify that. It can also be only Math, so yeah.

Ask your doctor about seeing someone that can work out if you are Dyslexic.

10+ Year Old Account
    None of the other symptoms apply, either. A sneeze can just be a sneeze, you know?

I'm not really worried about it, I was more wondering if there's a specific term for the behavior. It's sort of like wanting to know what 'kicking' is and having somebody tell you that it's a classic sign of playing soccer.
    Hey, just trying to be helpful.

But no, I don't think there is a specific term for that, medical or otherwise.

---------- Post added 2012-05-09 at 09:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Unify View Post
    Dyslexia can be without Math, just to clarify that. It can also be only Math, so yeah.

Ask your doctor about seeing someone that can work out if you are Dyslexic.
    No, it can't be only math. That's a different thing. Dyslexia only applies to reading.

Deleted
    Hey, just trying to be helpful.

But no, I don't think there is a specific term for that, medical or otherwise.

---------- Post added 2012-05-09 at 09:47 AM ----------

No, it can't be only math. That's a different thing. Dyslexia only applies to reading.
    Dyscalculia is the mathematical form of Dyslexia, it goes by a different name but sufferers often show the same symptoms as dyslexia, just with numbers and calculations.

10+ Year Old Account

it sounds a lot like dyslexia. I was diagnosed at 22- my senior year of college by a professor who randomly caught it.
    just read slowly and take more frequent breaks.

other signs are - skipping words when you speak, being clumsy and being ambidextrous either now or as a child

Deleted
    I kinda do this aswell. Not really tho, but Im a pretty fast reader, and if I read to fast, I can mix 2 lines together. Like this:

bla bla bla
    derp derp derp

I might read bla bla derp instead of what im supposed to read, wich can confuse me. I get it right pretty much the second I realise it, but it can get confusing as hell.