Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Supplements for Gym Newbs

I see a fair few posts on these forums about supplements, mostly what works and what doesn't work etc etc and I'm going too try knock it out for anyone here thinking about starting to go to the gym and wondering what to spend they're money on.

I'll start off by saying you DO NOT NEED supplements to get into shape and build muscle but this is a guide should a person choose to, so please keep the flaming of people's decisions to use them to a minimum.

These products WILL definitely help you build muscle if used corectly

Creatine

There is many different creatines on the market but the only type you should bother looking at buying (IMO) is Creapure Creatine Monohydrate. This is the highest standard creatine on the market and the only one worth your money. Now when first starting it you SHOULD load it for the first 5-7 days of the cycle, this means u take in roughly 20 grams of creatine spread throughout 4 different servings either mixed with water before you eat a meal (there is no need to have it with a fruit juice or anything that spkies your insulin as others may tell you) or with a protein shake if you chose and then continue taking 5-10 grams a day for the rest of the cycle(even days you do not workout) depending on our weight. Now I know alot of people will also tell you the loading phase is just a sales tactic used to get you to buy more creatine but I have personally tried it both ways and the loading phase definatly gets me results faster, yes I still see results when I do not load creatine but not as fast as when I do. In regard to how long you should stay on creatine I personally only take it when I'm bulking, not cutting/maintaining my weight over summer as you are not increasing your muscle mass over this period so I do not see the point in taking a supplement that is designed to build muscle not maintain/preserve it. I also do not recommend taking this supplement if you have a history of kidney problems as it can be harsh on said people, if you are thinking of trying this seek a doctors advice, if you have no history of kidney problems you should be fine using this supplement.

Pre Workouts

Pre workouts are great for giving you an energy and focus boost before you hit the gym especially after a long day at the office. These products are filled with stimulants such as caffeine, beta alanine, and many more and are designed to give you a massive pick me up and if you buy the right ones they definitely will. When it comes to supplementing these I do not take them before every workout, usually only legs and chest/back day(the larger muscle groups) and days when I'm feeling a bit tired, because if you do you run the risk of your body becoming immune to the effects if taken to frequently, I also suggest a period of up too 3months a year when you do not take any of these at all to avoid this as well but that's just personal preference.

Optional supplements that can help if you are very busy

Protein Powders

Now protein powder is NOT a miracle supplement like many gym newbies are lead to believe. When it comes to body composition the protein in powders will not give you any sort of bigger and better gains then chicken/beef/eggs etc etc. However, it is a very convenient ready to go protein source.

In regards to what type of protein to buy there will be 2 major types, whey and casein. Casein protein is marketed as "slow digesting" protein and keeps you from going "catabolic" in between meals and before bed and that it is also much thicker then standard whey protein thus keeping you fuller. Now this is partly true as it is alot thicker then whey and does keep you more full between meals, however in regards to the prevention of "catabolism" it is complete BS as the body does not go catabolic for atleast 2 days of malnutrionment, not 3 hrs (it is also worth noting here that splitting your macros between 6 small meals a day will have no effect on body composition in the long run, you can eat all your macros in 2 servings or 8 servings throughout the day and your results will be the same its all personal preference).

Now good old standard whey protein is the most common and what I recommend you buy IF you choose to supplement protein powder. Whey is usually (atleast where i live) about $20-$30 cheaper then casein protein and will give you the exact same results. The only downside to whey is that it is alot faster digesting then casein and may not keep you as full as casein will but personally I do not think the extra money is worth it. So it's really just a personal preference but I do recommend whey over casein unless you are one of the people who A) aren't filled up enough by whey and B) are willing to pay the extra cash for casein. Also please remember this is only if YOU chose to supplement protein powders, you can get the exact same results without protein powder just eating protein from whole food sources it will have no bearing if you go down that road instead.

Fish Oils, Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Waximaize

These are basically the protein powder equivalent of carbs/healthy fats. You do not need to buy these supplements as you can very easily get the carbs and fats from your diet, and they will NOT give you any better results then whole foods, but just like protein powder they are very easy ready to go sources of their respective areas that can help you if your lifestyle is busy and your struggling to get your daily caloric needs in to the build muscle.

Testosterone Booster

Now legal test boosters are only beneficial should you need them. I DO NOT recommend someone like myself who is in their early twenties to go out and get a test booster unless a medical professional has advised you your T is low, we simply do not need them as our bodies are producing more then enough. However if you are a person in their mid to late thirties and older who is looking to get into shape and build a solid physique these can help you as obviously when you get older alot of peoples bodies produce less T, however even if you fall into this category I would still recommend you seek professional medical advice before taking any sort of test booster.

All the other BS

If there is any other supplement someone is trying to push on you, namely Glutamine, any sort of Amino Acid, Multivitamins and anything that isn't listed above, it's a load of BS, they will not help you build muscle and definitely not worth your money. Most of these other products have apparent studies that show their benefits but all this stuff you get in your diet easily, doubling up on it will not cause double the gains it will just go down the toilet.

I hope this wall of text helps some people out.
    -Thehardman Blackrock US
    Last edited by Thehardman; 2012-04-28 at 06:36 AM.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ehardman/mount - Dat Dere Mount Collection
    Horde Server - Blackrock US
    Alliance Server - Frostmourne US

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to go against your thread here, but I think this might be a good place to say it: You don't need to take supplements to work out. Society needs to stop relying on all of these "crutches". It makes us weaker as a whole and I don't like it.

OT: Overall good guide, while I personally don't believe in any kind of supplements, those who do will find this to be helpful. I foresee it

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    Not to go against your thread here, but I think this might be a good place to say it: You don't need to take supplements to work out. Society needs to stop relying on all of these "crutches". It makes us weaker as a whole and I don't like it.

OT: Overall good guide, while I personally don't believe in any kind of supplements, those who do will find this to be helpful. I foresee it
    yeah I never said people had to take supplements I'm just giving them a guide if they chose to do so cheers for feedback I'll edit that into the start!
    Last edited by Thehardman; 2012-04-28 at 05:20 AM.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ehardman/mount - Dat Dere Mount Collection
    Horde Server - Blackrock US
    Alliance Server - Frostmourne US

Deleted
    ^^^Imo creatine for example is so cheap 1kg/10€ there's really no reason not to take it. Unless it causes huge acne or doenst digest, as happens to some people.

BCAAs supplements have been shown to be quite useful pre-workout if you are training fasted. Other than that, yes, amino acid supplements are a waste. Overall though, good guide. I also approve of caffeine consumption pre-work out Especially on squat dayyy.

Edit: grammarhz.
    Last edited by handsdown; 2012-04-28 at 11:19 PM.
    you fill my lungs with sweetness & you fill my head with you.

Don't confuse test boosters with pro-hormones or steroids. The products that market themselves as testosterone boosters are bullshit. A physician isn't going to prescribe someone Tribex, High T, ZMA, etc. for low testosterone. Test boosters are a waste of money.

Otherwise, a pretty solid overview.

Really the only thing you want to make sure you are getting is enough protein per day. A lot of people don't realize how little they get. Creatine is good for it's price and it doesn't hurt to take but a lot of the other pre-workout supplements and stuff aren't needed.

Fitness is more about diet and motivation then supplements. Unfortunately some people think they can take who knows what and get big or fit, when supplements are like 10% of the equation behind diet and hard work and motivation.

I do agree with you on the creatine and whey protein being used. Fish oil is good as well, I heard it helps for DOMS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post

If I've to take in around 25-50g of extra protein a day after my gym session I'll have a shake (with water) over having to munch down a bunch of meat/protein rich foods.

Can you suggest a pre workout supplement?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    Use to take hydroxycut before working out , gave me engery and helped me workout longer. Dont know if it works for everyone though.

Quote Originally Posted by enphestid View Post
    Use to take hydroxycut before working out , gave me engery and helped me workout longer. Dont know if it works for everyone though.
    Uh, isn't that the one on TV showing people going from complete fatass to body builder in 3 months? No thanks.

Deleted
    I personally love EC stacks.

“May 1, 2009 — Fourteen Hydroxycut products, marketed as fat burners, low-cost diet aids, and energy enhancers, are being recalled voluntarily by the manufacturer after the FDA received 23 reports of serious liver injuries ranging from jaundice to death.”

I had a thread up about this a few weeks ago, however here are some I know work based on reviews from friends and personal experience.

C4 Extreme (Cellucor) is the first one I tried. It provides more of a clean energy (not the jitteryness you tend to get from drinking massive amounts of coffee), and tastes great. Granted, taste won't help you work out, but it'll go down a whole heck of a lot easier. The max serving size is 2 scoops, although you'll find a lot of people doing 3 or more scoops. If you get to that point, take a break from it.

Alarm (Image Sports) is the one I'm using now. It's more concentrated than the C4 (max serving size is one scoop), provides the same clean energy, and the fruit punch flavor tastes exactly like Kool Aid.

N.O. Xplode (BSN) is one my friends have tried and really enjoy. This gives more of a jittery energy which I don't like at all. I'm told watermelon is the best flavor.

Jack3d I don't have any experience with, but I've been told it's the first one most people use.

10+ Year Old Account
    NO Xplode seems to come with a bit of IBS from what some of my friends have claimed. Have heard nothing but great things about Jack3d from everybody though.

I personally use Muscle Fortress' Muscle Spike. Given I've only been taking it for two weeks now, I really like it and it gives me much more solid workout. Although I will say i was a little freaked out after reading some review of guys having issues with ED and building up a tolerance real fast. But so far no ED for me on the days I've taken it and I only use it 3 days a week so I don't see building a tolerance much of an issue. I'm taking the lemon flavor and it mixes real well with my pre-workout protein/carb mix. I think I'm going to try jack3d next though to see how that is.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people having issues with loose stools so to speak using NO Xplode, but I've also heard it with quite a few other preworkouts. I tried Hyper FX from GNC first, got the shits, never again. C4 and Alarm have been pure magic though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jack3d is the best iv had, even use it b4 indoor soccer and helps me pwn noobs a hell of alot more. I find that i can run around the whole game without stopping but if i dont have it i have to sub after 15mins.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm302133.htm

Jack3d is in trouble, just sayin'.
    you fill my lungs with sweetness & you fill my head with you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by handsdown View Post
    ....BUHAHAHAHA.

Finally the FDA paying proper attention to supplements.

Creatinine one hour before work out. A meal of sorts two hours before. Protein shake and some carbs 30 min to 1 hour post workout. Glutamine could help recovery a bit. Make sure you are taking in a LOT of protein. Also make sure your diet is clean. No point doing a solid gym routine and then going and eating a fucking kebab.