Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyth View Post
    May I ask what is that sword? It looks amazing!
    yeah it does I don't know though, it's not from me

I have enjoyed this thread for multiple reasons...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not impressed. I hope these are still being worked on.

Deleted
    Personally not interested at all. Bu this may be because i prefer light/mage cloths on my character.

Deleted
    There were Norn vendors that sold something I think was called "Tier 1" and "Tier 2" gear in Hoelbrak. Though I don't recall them wearing any of it.

Here's somethinge else I found when I went through my screenshots again. Two NPC's dressed up in what seems to be faction-related armors.

Order of Whispers agent, looks like light or medium armor.

Durmand Priory Arcanist, looks to be light or medium as well.

---------- Post added 2012-05-05 at 08:41 AM ----------

People seem to forget that those armors will have YOUR color schemes on them. What they look like on these NPC's, is not what they'll look like on you.
    Last edited by mmoc4a603c9764; 2012-05-05 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    There were Norn vendors that sold something I think was called "Tier 1" and "Tier 2" gear in Hoelbrak. Though I don't recall them wearing any of it.

Here's somethinge else I found when I went through my screenshots again. Two NPC's dressed up in what seems to be faction-related armors.

---------- Post added 2012-05-05 at 08:41 AM ----------

People seem to forget that those armors will have YOUR color schemes on them. What they look like on these NPC's, is not what they'll look like on you.
    oh I didn't know that all armor vendors in the game wear the armor they sell... I know what I'll do the next beta weekend
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-05-05 at 10:03 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyth View Post
    May I ask what is that sword? It looks amazing!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TSss...XFBRT1_itTGr6A

This one right? I think it's in the comments somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TSss...XFBRT1_itTGr6A

This one right? I think it's in the comments somewhere.
    Oh yes he says it's from a karma vendor. Thanks a lot Ghost!

For me, the worst part is the lack of the style that made GW1 armors look interesting. There just doesn't seem to be any armor that looks as unique as UW armor or luxon/kurzick armor in GW2 for example.

Perhaps we haven't seen the armor that actually does have the look yet. The art team is more or less same then in GW1 after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    YES! I was praying they'd make pantless cloth armor. It looks awesome like a battle mage.

Loooooove the look of that set.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Ok. some of the sets look quite nice but I'm still not sold on just how motivating a purely cosmetic gear-progression system will be.
    Why is the carrot on the end of the stick the reason MMO players play games? That kind of attitude is why we get a bad rap from the rest of the gaming community. Why can't we just play the game to have fun instead of chasing the endless supply of carrots that MMO developers throw at us to keep us hooked? Why shouldn't we just expect fun content instead of being so gear-centric? If anything, demanding fun content is holding the devs to a higher standard. A forced progression means we are forced to play content whether we are having fun or not.

Let's do away with the grind and focus on games being fun again.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardRex View Post
    Why is the carrot on the end of the stick the reason MMO players play games? That kind of attitude is why we get a bad rap from the rest of the gaming community. Why can't we just play the game to have fun instead of chasing the endless supply of carrots that MMO developers throw at us to keep us hooked? Why shouldn't we just expect fun content instead of being so gear-centric? If anything, demanding fun content is holding the devs to a higher standard. A forced progression means we are forced to play content whether we are having fun or not.

Let's do away with the grind and focus on games being fun again.
    Because an mmo is an rpg. Most people play RPGs to improve their character. A carrot gives you reason to keep playing (to improve your character).

The illusion that there is no carrot in GW2 is just that, an illusion. Gear might be capped, but its still there. PvP ranks and "ladders" are there. Cool looking gear and items are there. If it does what GW1 did. It will continue to add items and weapons, along with different item stats and effects over the years.

GW2 most definitely has a "carrot"
    Last edited by woodydave44; 2012-05-06 at 06:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I love GW2 and it has fantastic armor, this just looks very...uh...overdone, and ..awkward. Dosen't fit GW2 as much as it does WoW.
    Howay the lads!

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am not arguing tastes. That would be pointless. Get over it, dudes.
    For serious. Trying to change someone's opinion on something purely subjective should be a bannable offense.

OT: I personally like the armor for two reasons. Reason one: it isn't very extravagant or over the top. Reason two: because of dyes, the armor is can be easily customized and two pieces that would normally not fit very well together can be made to look like part of a set.

Quote Originally Posted by woodydave44 View Post
    Because an mmo is an rpg. Most people play RPGs to improve their character. A carrot gives you reason to keep playing (to improve your character).

The illusion that there is no carrot in GW2 is just that, an illusion. Gear might be capped, but its still there. PvP ranks and "ladders" are there. Cool looking gear and items are there. If it does what GW1 did. It will continue to add items and weapons, along with different item stats and effects over the years.

GW2 most definitely has a "carrot"
    Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying GW2 doesn't have a carrot. I don't think anyone has claimed such.

I simply don't see the carrot a necessity if the game is fun enough. Gear has never driven me to play a game if I'm not having fun, and I constantly hear from other MMO players that are just like "OMG I'm this raid is so boring and stupid" and they're just playing it to get to the next dungeon.

Again, I wasn't saying any game breaks this mold completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    http://www.terafans.com/uploads/1277...4_4_836929.png
    http://www.terafans.com/uploads/1276..._4_5120206.png
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2gwcqs3.jpg

More stylish. The attention to patterns, the flared 70s look for men, the striking asymmetry & lines on the female armor. Actual fidelity in those layers and patterns.

Bulky metal armor w/ spiky bits is rather well worn by contrast. Can't wait for the Orr set w/ flaming shoulder pads and or glowing mittens.
    The asthetic of Tera is not the asthetic of GW2. I think you're missing that. As has been pointed out, Tera is very much a game that goes for the Eastern Uguu! factor. These have no practical value on the battlefield. Keep in mind that in Guild Wars 2, it is very much about the battle. Be it faction versus faction, guild versus guild, or realm versus realm in the Mists.

While you might like looking like David Bowie, you have to admit that bearing your midriff to the Warrior charging down on you is probably not the most practical idea in the world. Quick evisceration, while you watch your stomach and instines spill out onto the ground in front of you. While the GW2 armor is, as you put, 'generic, bland, and full of flames and skulls', it is designed to be functional. Tera's armor is clearly not designed to be functional, but taking cues from Eastern Glam Fashion that you might expect out of a J-Rock band. We're also comparing a game that, effectively, places importance on sexualizing everything but the squat animal people - and even then, they sexualized the little girl animal people to disturbing degress. Sexualization and eye candy, while not absent in Guild Wars, is not a primary focus.

The armor styles were very much similar in Guild Wars, with, really, only the Ritualist and some of the Monk 'armor' standing out as what you want; sort of. And it's clear that ArenaNet has abandoned those visual design thematics as a goal, in lieu of armor that is much more functional. The heavy coats of medium armor, for example, are a nice change of pace, and actually feel like I'm wearing leather and hide, instead of the Warcraft ideal that "leather" really means "mostly made up of whatever we feel like for this tier, because that looks awesome". I've worn more metal and lightbulbs in WoW, as a light armor class, than I'd like to. I haven't seen any glowy mittens in GW2. That's fine with me. I could not use brilliant beacons of light to attract attention. A welcome change, and a misinformed (and strawman...) opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilothorien View Post
    The asthetic of Tera is not the asthetic of GW2.
    No one suggested it was the same.

Those links were in response to someone asking what else could armor look like if not of the spiky/metal motif seen in [supposedly] popular Western games. Missing the point entirely by focusing on those armor designs being from Tera and Vindictus.

Don't buy realism in the functional state of flaming shoulder pads or skull codpieces either. About as silly as the whole, "We don't have nameplates because this is War!" stupidity a few days back. Uh, no.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-05-06 at 07:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why can't we all just agree that people have different tastes?

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Why can't we all just agree that people have different tastes?
    Just typical reflexive responses to defend personal POV. Meh. I said the spiked armor and fish tail helmet for the new raid in Rift were ugly as sin. Dudes jumped all over the "there is no other armor like this!"/"this is armor for battle!" bandwagon there too.

There is as much boy-ish power fantasy in the spikes/codpieces as there is in the chainmail bikini.