Brewmaster energy/chi generation/budget

Hey there,

So I've been fooling around on the Brewmaster (I am no pro-tank - this is the first time I am playing a non-healing class, aside from a brief stint as an unholy DK tank when Wrath was released) and have been having GREAT FUN!

However, I have some concerns regarding our energy/chi generation vs. our chi budget that I'm hoping that people will enlighten me on.

Chi Generators:
    Get outta Heeeee'ee Expel Harm - 1 chi
    Jabbity jab jab - 1 chi
    Smashy smashy keg - 2 chi

But here are the things I have to sped chi on:

Tiger Palm (3) - If I want to buff my next Guard
    BoK (2) - Required
    BoF (2) - AGGRO - not required
    Guard (2) - Bubblz yay!
    Purifying Brew (1) - Required
    Elusive Brew (1) - AMG Yah can't hitz meh!
    Fortifying Brew (1) - I'll eat that damage, hoe!
    Avert Harm (1).... etc etc etc.....

Spec: Celerity / Power Strikes / Zen Sphere / Leg Sweep / Dampen Harm

I find that I am always sort of chi starved because I'm lacking enough chi to do everything I want? I'm just wondering if this is a specific design decision or if this is cause for worry?

Now for single target boss (given a non-critical situation), I'm essentially using my basic skills but I never have the chi to, for example, Tiger Palm to build my Guard up as I need Guard now. PB @ 6 sec I try and keep on CD. BoK as soon as Shuffle is off. I have little chi to spare for stuff like, Zen Sphere when I'm also sneaking Elusive Brew in there and so on. When I have several targets, and I'm forced to use Spinning Crane Kick, I find I have even less chi. Am I playing wrong or am I just experiencing the design decision of "use an offensive skill or a defensive skill now with your chi."? If so, I think that they are definitely on the right track where a good player who makes excellent decisions with their chi will really stand out.

So, do you find yourself chi-starved? Are you often waiting for energy to build more chi? What are your thoughts?

z

That's exactly how it should be. You should plan what and when you do. Imagine how boring it would be if you always had enough chi to do everything. It's Blizzard new way of tanking where you do special things only when you need to do.

A lot of people dislike this because tanking feels different and a little bit awkward because there are times where you just simply have nothing to do (and it's the same with healers). On the other hand there are some of long time tanks who think that it's great because at the moment all you do is (more or less) spam your skills so that everything is always up (just the way you want it) and when there is something in red or orange writing on the screen do something like use skill a or b or go somewhere.