Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Questions about mouse turning.

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but I'll begin anyway.

Recently, I picked up a mouse from best buy. Its a G500 Logitech mouse, pretty bad compared to today's standard's but I wanted to get a cheap decent gaming mouse. Anyway, you're probably thinking "well how did you play the game without a mouse?" Well I used to bind all of my abilities on my keyboard, move/strafe with the keyboard and have been doing it for 3 years. I didn't do that bad. Its not like you need massive skills for low arena/random bgs.

Now that I'm using the mouse I'm having trouble binding and using the mouse. I've read guides explaining that you need to use "e" to move forward and "w" and "r" for strafe. I tried doing that but it felt really stupid trying to hit abilities while moving forward. Then I tried moving completely with the mouse by holding down both mouse buttons and then using the keyboard completely for binds. I've had more success with this but people have told me that its too complicated and that you're better off with "e/w/r." Some have asked "how do you strafe then?" I told them that I bind my two side mouse buttons for strafe. I also told them that I really don't play a caster so strafing is nearly useless for me.

So what do you guys think? Should I just force myself learning the e/w/r way or just keep with moving with the mouse?

Thanks in advance.

Just go with whatever set-up is most comfortable for you. For me, I left my movement keybinds alone (wasd for forward/backward and turning & q and e for strafing) and during raid use the mouse to turn by holding down the right mouse button (when I'm not using the mouse to click on a not-so-often used ability).

edit: just noticed this was under PvP, not general or some other thread. lol ^^ oh well
    Last edited by pa1kia; 2012-05-01 at 03:16 AM.

Deleted
    Wad W;forward A;strafe left D;strafe right turn with right mouse button and bind Q E S to abillities backpeddle is bad and so is keyboard turning since it slows you down a lot and others will have a huge advantage that do use this if you just do this and strafe around a dummy for a few hours getting all your abillities off and your set to try some BGs but give it a few days of practice and you'll wonder how you ever did it diffrently goodluck

i just use the default 'wasd'

W is still bound to move forward, even though i use my mouse to move most of the time

There is no 'right' way to do it. Outside of actually keyboard turning, whatever works best for you is what you should go with.

The reason some people use esdf, is because i gives you another row of buttons to the left. personally i cant do it, because i'm too used to where tab and shift are now. and also, it put alt out of reach of my thumb, which is the main modifier i use, so that cant work :P

Also, i wouldnt call the logitech (150$au?) 'bad'. If you're comparing it to nagas and the like, realise that if anything, your mouse is probably better quality. what you pay for with the nagas is all those buttons and the logo.

E isn't move forward, W & R are not strafe.

W is move forward, and A or D is strafe. Personally I use Q and E to strafe, and use right click to mouse turn.

You kind of use both a little bit. I think I tend to hold the mouse buttons most often for forwards movement, and as far as the keyboard goes it's mostly just strafe keys. I only switch to the W key (forward run for me) for a moment when I need to use the mouse for something--specific targeting in BGs, for example. A lot of arena players have targeting binds and/or pre-targeted ability macros so they can always use their mouse for movement.

Also, most players seem to set movement keys to: W: forward, A: strafe left, and D: strafe right, leaving Q, E, and S available as other binds. I'd want to tell you to use whatever feels comfortable, but if you've been using weird binds for a long time it can be hard to convert to a better set. I'm still trying to rid myself of using F1-F4 for ability binds.

As long as your strafe keys are accessible from where you've bound your skills and you're comfortable with your ability binds, mouse movement shouldn't take too long to sink in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back before the G13, I actually used F,T,Y as strafe left, forward and strafe right, but I had my whole keyboard bound and played with it angled on my lap.

I can't really play without the G13 now, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Get used to strafing and bind your s key to something else. It'll pay off in the end. If you tank occassionally like I do you might want to bind backpedal to shift+s or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use a hyrbid of mouse and WASD movement as well, it's the best way, in my opinion. Sometime you need to click with your mouse and move with WASD, sometimes you hit a keybind while moving with your mouse. All depends on the situation and what you have bound where.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

I personally play with W for forward, A/D to strafe, S for disengage/deathgrip (if i leveled to something like 70 with backpedal as S, i may as well use a mobility CD on S due to habit), and abilities everywhere around there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    E isn't move forward, W & R are not strafe.

W is move forward, and A or D is strafe. Personally I use Q and E to strafe, and use right click to mouse turn.
    You do know you can remap the keybinds to make e,w,r work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use my mouse to control all forward and turning movement. I have one side button macro'ed to autorun and I hold/release another when I want finer forward control over short distances. I would advise any setup that maximizes your effectiveness as a player and allows for the most keybinds to be quickly reached.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use my mouse to turn, A is strafe left, D is strafe left, W is forward and S is backwards (useful when tanking to position stuff better).

Q and E are bound to the most used abilities.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I use my mouse to turn, A is strafe left, D is strafe left, W is forward and S is backwards (useful when tanking to position stuff better).

Q and E are bound to the most used abilities.
    You have strafe left bound twice?

OP how do you manage to heal BGs without a mouse? I mean how do you select which player to heal/target/interact/focus whatever.
    You are evil like...a hobbit!

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    People use buttons to strafe? I just hold right button and use A-D.
    Another 6 binds for me.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brovahkiin View Post
    You have strafe left bound twice?
    of course.
    Your left and your targets left when there facing you are two different directions ^.^

TBH, I can't use the keyboard to play most games anymore at all. I used to play with a Nostromo n52, actually still have it around here somewhere. However I switched to a Logitech g13, and I haven't looked back. Most of my time playing WoW has been with one of those. Except for like the first year or so when I started playing. It really makes the game feel that much better IMO.

Logitech G13
    Nostromo n52te

If you are having trouble with movement playing with a mouse, one of those might help out alot, as the movement is done with your thumb just like a controller.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    People use buttons to strafe? I just hold right button and use A-D.
    Another 6 binds for me.
    I'm fairly sure most ppl, like me, bind strafe to A and D and have Q and E for spells, no losses in binds :}

ot: also as caster i most of the time just strafe at one direction and use my mouse to stear around o:

q strafe left
    w forward
    e strafe right

asd are for spells