Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    "how so, taunt and heals are a skill i learned from a trainer that requires me to press a button to make someone elses life easier"

"see how that works out"

Tell me, Viled, do you even know where the Shift button is on your keyboard?

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2012-05-01 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Viled View Post
    how so, taunt and heals are a skill i learned from a trainer that requires me to press a button to make someone elses life easier
    "portals are a skill i learned from a trainer that requires me to press a button to make someone elses life easier"
    see how that works out
    Tank, Healer and DPS are raid roles required for success. If you refuse to heal or taunt off someone not only are you being a bit of a dick you are also hurting yourself and your guild (in a raid environment) because you are allowing a DPS to die and threatening the success of your entire group. You aren't just punishing the mage, you're punishing literally everyone else who is playing with you. If I was a guild leader and had a tank or healer this petty, well they'd quickly have to find another guild leader.
    There is also the matter of practicality, it is actually impossible to trade someone money in time for you to taunt off them or heal them in a life-or-death situation.

Portals on the other hand are simply a matter of convenience and in no way essential. Denying the cast of a portal hurts only the person asking for it and quite often when a mage refuses to cast a portal it is because casting it would hurt him because it takes time. You are paying for the mage's time, because most people don't actually just sit there staring at a wall until you arrive and were actually busy doing something else before you interrupted them.
    If you are grouped with someone and tanking or healing for them then doing your job as a tank or healer is not a waste of your time as it is what you joined the instance to do, if you are not grouped with a mage and you are both doing something in a city then making a portal for you is a waste of his time unless you pay him for it.
    It is also not possible to give someone a portal if you are not in their group and often not possible to invite someone to your group as a mage without leaving one that you are already in.

This is why your comparison is utterly invalid and fairly silly.

If I asked someone to tank for me while we were both in Stormwind and he was doing something else at the time then yes, I would totally expect to have to pay for it. Same for if I asked a Paladin to follow me around with Crusader Aura.

Giving people English lessons won't help the thread guys.

So here is the new list of "spells" that classify as a "Luxury" and will now be charged for using mage logic:

Any type of rez (ie mass rez, rebirth)
    Any Paladin Buff (kings, might, salv, BoP)
    Any Druid buff (thorns, MotW)
    Any Priest Buffs (fort, shadow resist, power infusion)
    Any time a shaman lays down a totem
    Each warlock hearthstone
    Each player summoned with "have group will travel"
    Any time you are affected with "aspect of the pack" or "crusader aura" movement buffs

This list is subject to change with or without prior notice

As a Mage player I'm still going to charge. To those going 'Lol wel i'l liek charge fur me healz'... Well you just go ahead and do that champ. They are two very different things. Doing a raid role like healing or tanking is your job in the group just like the Mage's is doing damage. Portals play no role in the raid, no they're a perk that comes with being a Mage completely unattached to anything else. If you expect us to use our time to make you use less of yours.. Yeah you should probably plan to pay. Not tipping is kinda .. well prickish.

'Yeah your time isnt worth as much as mine so make with the portal portal boy'

Expecting someone in your group that signed up for the same instance you signed up for to do something that benefits them as well is different than expecting someone that isn't in your group to do something for you that does not benefit them.

how so, taunt and heals are a skill i learned from a trainer that requires me to press a button to make someone elses life easier

"portals are a skill i learned from a trainer that requires me to press a button to make someone elses life easier"

see how that works out
    u chose to be a healer / tank.. ur the one who WANTS to do the raid/dungeon...noone is gonna pay u for something u have to do to get ur shit , which would be ur items / gold etc etc...so u are wrong.

this is just pointless vile is stupid , hope i offended you. as u do not see how u doing ur job in a dungeon/raid is not the same thing as a mage giving u a portal for ur own convinience...u pay the mage so u will save time..u dont get paid to tank or to heal ..if u dont do it , ur wasting ur own time..no tank = no boss killed...i swear..u must be like 10 years old or something this is such a easy concept..
    Last edited by SunbakedDuck; 2012-05-01 at 05:47 PM.

So here is the new list of "spells" that classify as a "Luxury" and will now be charged for using mage logic:

Each warlock hearthstone
    Any time you are affected with "aspect of the pack" or "crusader aura" movement buffs

Again, only if used while the person who is expected to cast the ability is in a city, doing something and not grouped with you.
    But yes, you really should pay someone if you get them to use "have group, will travel" (a long cooldown ability) if they were previously doing something else and you don't know them.

I am glad you are catching on.

Warlocks can't summon hearthstones though, and never have been able to. Not sure where you got that idea.

Each warlock hearthstone

wow.... just wow....
    these all are spells that will be used within a given instance and such where you benefit as well as the person next to you... case closed. argument invalid...

Each warlock hearthstone
    If people wish to tip for those, they certainly can. I wouldn't mind tips for resses on my healers . (thanks is welcome)

No one forces a player to pay the mage for the portal - they are free to refuse to pay and the mage is free to refuse to port. They can take a ship or fly there themselves. I don't charge, but I'll accept tips for portals.

Don't get uppity if some mages are using the free market of wow to charge a price for an in-demand service. Power lies with the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by sef24 View Post
    wow.... just wow....
    these all are spells that will be used within a given instance and such where you benefit as well as the person next to you... case closed. argument invalid...
    mages use their portals to benefit them selfs too...

and how does me resurrecting someone else benefit me?

Just ignore him, he's obviously just "one of those guys"...

If you are in a city, it doesn't and they definitely should pay you.
    If you are in a dungeon or raid it benefits you because otherwise you're going to be pretty hard pressed to kill anything in the dungeon or raid and also because it is what you joined the group to do. You are being "paid" in the PvE content for the ress by the loot you get at the end of the dungeon, along with the privilege of not being kicked by the rest of the group members for being an enormous asshat.

I notice you haven't bothered replying to any of my posts. Is this because you realise I am right and have no appropriate response?

Id imagine running an instance 5 man might be faster than running it 4 man.

10+ Year Old Account

Each warlock hearthstone

Your helping yourself by doing that for the better of the raid/bg. They don't ask for it hardly ever. Your logic fails, sir.

Anyways OT, lol. I never charged and make more gold than most that do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    Id imagine running an instance 5 man might be faster than running it 4 man.
    while they run back I could use that time to alt time or get a drink or do something the benefits me. Me rezzing is only a luxury so they dont have to run back. Its not the only method of returning to the dungeon.

The cost of the reagents was negligible anyway-- the thing we've been tipping for is the service and the mage's time. If we'd been paying for the reagents alone, the "cost" of portals would be far, far lower than what people typically tip for them.

If you ask a mage to give you a portal, you should tip them for their time, just like you should tip a crafter for making an item with your mats, or a tank or healer for giving you a faster queue should you request that service, or for a warlock or someone with Group Summon taking time to summon you to their location.

A tank or healer who queue as tank or healer have chosen to perform those services voluntarily for no reward other than what they are generating themselves.
    If a mage offers you a portal voluntarily, don't tip them, I guess, but if you ASK for a portal, it's still going to be considered rude to not tip.

If you ask me for a specific service and then do not compensate me for my time, you will never be getting another service from me. I have a list for people like that, across all of my characters and crafters. It doesn't have to make "sense" to you to still be polite, socially-expected behavior.

while they run back I could use that time to alt time or get a drink or do something the benefits me. Me rezzing is only a luxury so they dont have to run back. Its not the only method of returning to the dungeon.
    If you wipe then sure. But if one person dies, your not ressing them is kinda silly.

Edit: And seriously, do people wipe in cata 5 mans?

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I notice you haven't bothered replying to any of my posts. Is this because you realise I am right and have no appropriate response?
    I'll take that as a yes

I dont use a portal for myself, I use my teleports.... When I use portals, its for someone else... It takes time and time is money...

CLEARLY you are in a group if someone needs a rez.... 5 man? raid? yea you are there to benefit yourself... so it applies to your duty in that group...
    No one will msg you inside a city when they cant be killed (unless its a pvp server?) for a rez.... how can they die? lol