Thread: RTS Games

10+ Year Old Account

RTS Games

It's been a very long time since I last played an RTS Game but I remember it being really fun when I played the The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II. Recently I've been looking for a good free RTS game to play (preferably MMO) but I dont mind. Something where you can build bases, armies and go to war... you know the general. Something like Battle for middle earth. I don't really care about graphics too much.
    So yeah is there any free RTS game like that that you would be able to reccomend me.
    Thanks

If graphics don't bother you then Age of Empires 2 is (in my mind) the uncontested champion of the large-scale build-a-city-and-command-an-army RTS. It's not free but at this point it's got to be like $3 on Steam. There's a community-made expansion coming out for AoE2 soon called Forgotten Empires that is going to be amazing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Age of Empires 1 and 2 are both fantastic, AoE1 is the "great" civilizations and AoE2 is the "middle Ages" (about 500-1500 CE)
    Empire Earth 1 and 2 are also great, spanning a HUGE time period from caveman to far future
    Age of Mythology is made by the same guys who did AoE, but it's an (obviously) more fantastical affair. Your civilizations there are Greek/Egyptian/Nordic and you fight with their mythologies
    Obligatory shout out to Starcraft, Starcraft 2, and Warcraft 3

IMO avoid AoE3 and EE3, they were just bleh
    Last edited by mistuhbull; 2012-05-02 at 02:23 AM.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.