Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i honestly hope they get rid of tiber septim changing the climate of cyrodiil. that just sounds fucking retarded.
    And weaken his godlike level of power?

i honestly hope they get rid of tiber septim changing the climate of cyrodiil. that just sounds fucking retarded.
    This was the explanation of Cyrodiil. It is a lore book from in-game so if you think it has spoilers don't read it.

http://esohead.com/books/797-the-heartland-of-cyrodiil

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    And weaken his godlike level of power?
    that doesn't weaken him, imo. his conquering of the entire continent and being the emperor that he was is enough for me to support him as a god of man.

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    This is not unique to Elder Scrolls, it happens in plenty other franchises. Take Star Wars for example, their whole lore spans thousands of years, but their technology never improves, every race culture never changes, planets are all the same, etc. They are all frozen in a time capsule.
    In Star Wars it was blatantly so you could have all the Star Wars imagery without running into lore problems, but even then they allowed the Republic and Empire to take on more or less sinister aspects respectively. It doesn't make much sense in space, but in TES I just want to scream "How are you still vikings and Romans? It's been centuries, you should be at least industrialised by now and probably on your way to space!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    This was the explanation of Cyrodiil. It is a lore book from in-game so if you think it has spoilers don't read it.

http://esohead.com/books/797-the-heartland-of-cyrodiil
    ty. this is what i love about elder scrolls lore, it's so flexible because the authors of the books in game can be wrong or misinformed, just like real world historians <3

Deleted
    Strange that teso announces they will now focus on crafting while not a word has been said about adventure zones. When will we hear something about them if we will about it at all?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Conqueror View Post
    Total rubbish. And sorry but I've seen your ass being a Blizzard-apologist in too many threads to consider your opinion unbiased when it comes to judging other MMOs, I got a feeling you're just here to stir up shit.

It's the Bethesda lore team that has designed and created every last bit of storyline and lore in TESO, it's why in the opening cinematics, credits and presentation of the game it says: "Developed by Bethesda Softworks and Zenimax Studios Online". The cinematics are apparently also made by the Bethesda team, and from what I read it was also Bethesda that selected the voice actors (which makes sense since they'd be the ones ending up reading all the dialogue Bethesda has written).

Claiming it's not an ESO game and not true to the lore is just ignorant.
    First off, I am far from being an apologist for anything or anyone. Just because I happen to disagree with your fairly outlandish ideas that you frequently ship on how WoW should basically be a completely different game doesn't make me a fanboy. If you even cared to check, right now i'm pretty much depressed about LFR and the impact it is having.

I'm generally just a huge RPG and MMO player, while WoW is the only one i've stayed with i've heavily played and enjoyed pretty much all major MMO titles that are out there, from Rift to SWTOR to AoC and Lotro, Eve, TSW and whatever I can't remember. Actually lvling to max and raiding/pvping in each one. So yeah, i'm certainly not a WoW fanboy, give it a rest.

If you'd actually went back and read my longer post on my impressions of the game you'll see that I don't think the game is bad whatsoever.

But hey, it's Anarch. Anyone that doesn't share your opinions is automatically a "fanboy" or an apologist, you've underlined that childish stance of yours many times.

As for TESO: it is not a TES game in my opinion, no. It shares virtually no similarities with any previous title besides using Skyrim UI design and letting you pick up food articles. Exploration is not the focus of the game, railroaded quests are.

The lore is indeed being muddied, The Fiend's claims were wildly exaggerated, but there is still some truth to them. The individual races' personality and much more mature attitudes are almost non-existant, they're pretty much trying to make each faction as mainstream acceptable as possible. I haven't seen a single lick of the Aldmeri's open racism, or the Kajiit's completey morality-averse behaviour.

The combinations of the factions directly contradicts much of the built-up lore as well.

However, I'm not that big of a lore nut. I would be willing to ignore these things if it still had that TES feel. It does not.

Like I said in my previous posts, it's not a bad game by any means. It's up there with the best MMO titles in terms of production value.
    I just don't feel it as a TES game in any way or form, and as an MMO it is way too generic and unoriginal to warrant any investment for me.

And just fyi: I WANTED this to make me happy. I was really looking forward to it, I was hoping for a unique approach, and a fresh take on the MMO genre. Sadly it's all just more of the same while trying to cash in on the popularity of the TES license.
    Last edited by miffy23; 2014-02-19 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    And let's not forget the Orcs, being Opressed for thousands of years, easily going "Ok" in siding with their racist overlords.
    I like how you have an issue with things like this when the person that actually wrote most of it doesn't.

I'm not being snarky or an advocate of C0DA when I say that the Covenant is, by virtue of existing where is does, lore friendly.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comm...iendly/cfig197

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    As for TESO: it is not a TES game in my opinion, no. It shares virtually no similarities with any previous title besides using Skyrim UI design and letting you pick up food articles. Exploration is not the focus of the game, railroaded quests are.
    Do you think Battlespire and Redguard are also not TES games?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eld...ures:_Redguard

By the way, I say this often. If Bethesda wanted to they can make an RTS with the Elder Scrolls IP and it would be a Elder Scrolls game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    In Star Wars it was blatantly so you could have all the Star Wars imagery without running into lore problems, but even then they allowed the Republic and Empire to take on more or less sinister aspects respectively. It doesn't make much sense in space, but in TES I just want to scream "How are you still vikings and Romans? It's been centuries, you should be at least industrialised by now and probably on your way to space!"
    What? I'm the complete opposite. I found it more believable for a fantasy setting to stay generally the same over a longer period as i see it for science fiction settings.

It's arbitrary for both though.

ty. this is what i love about elder scrolls lore, it's so flexible because the authors of the books in game can be wrong or misinformed, just like real world historians <3
    Exactly, this is what I have been saying again and again. ES has always made it clear that the stuff you read in-game is written by people who may or may not be trustworthy. Some appear to be more scholarly than others in their works, but do they contain truth? Or is it simply falsehood spread by the author with an agenda? How much of that was mistranslated or transcripted incorrectly? How much of that was just pure fantasy dreamt up by the author?

If people that argue lore truly have read all the books, like they claim they do, they would find out those have tons of conflicting information, so it's up to you to interpret them. Even stuff like Talos or Vehk attaining CHIM is debatable. It could have been simple Imperial or Dunmer propaganda. You never know.

i'd hate the see elder scrolls go beyond dwemer technology for all races. that would just screw everything up. it's much better in a fantasy setting, magic, swords and shields.

Deleted
    i'd hate the see elder scrolls go beyond dwemer technology for all races. that would just screw everything up. it's much better in a fantasy setting, magic, swords and shields.
    Something I hate in WoW since the very begining...
    Now the Orcs even have MGs ... seriously?

Hope ESO will stick to Swords and Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    There isn't much need for technological advance when you have magic. It makes sense to have both, but as long as people can throw volcanoes at you, technology is less meaningful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    I like how you have an issue with things like this when the person that actually wrote most of it doesn't.

Do you think Battlespire and Redguard are also not TES games?

By the way, I say this often. If Bethesda wanted to they can make an RTS with the Elder Scrolls IP and it would be a Elder Scrolls game.
    First off, just because the person that wrote it likes it doesn't make it good or acceptable. Book cover texts are ads, not descriptions you know.

As for previous TES games - let's not kid ourselves here. The one thing TESO is banking on and that got us all excited about the prospect of an Elder Scrolls MMO is the potential of it being similar to the wildly popular later titles from Morrowind to Oblivion and Skyrim, and not the ancient beginnings of the series in terms of lore. Yeah, you could make an RTS in that universe. Technically you could call it an Elder Scrolls game. But when you say "an Elder Scrolls game" to a casual gamer, he'll think of one of the three titles mentioned above, and the characteristics these bring.

It's not just for fun that Zenimax have adapted the Skyrim Ui style, symbology and minimap. That's the whole idea - oh you're one of xx million that loved Skyrim? Look here, this is similar!

Well, it's not. If you don't expect anything out of the game, it's great. I for one have very high and different expectations of a TES franchise title, and TESO is just not it for me. I'm sure many will enjoy it, I personally find it very lacking from the TES franchise as well as the MMO perspective. I'm just going to wait for TES VI.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    There isn't much need for technological advance when you have magic. It makes sense to have both, but as long as people can throw volcanoes at you, technology is less meaningful.
    This. Who needs a steam engine when you can conjure fire from your fingertips.

Explosive based projectiles? Aint got shit on a lightning strike.

Hell even the dwemer contraptions are a waste of time when there are other planes of existence to pull random henchmen from on a whim.

Deleted
    When it comes to technological progression I think we are a bit biased by the speed technology progressed in the last few hundred years in the real World. There were plenty of periods in history when technology changed very little over hundreds of years. There are even smaller isolated societies that didn't progress much from a technological point over very long periods of time (like for example Aboriginal Australians). So having societies in fantasy settings progress very little over time is not something abnormal even if compared with the real World, especially if we take into account that many of our important technology achievements are made completely redundant by the presence of magic which can solve most problems.

Well, it's not. If you don't expect anything out of the game, it's great. I for one have very high and different expectations of a TES franchise title, and TESO is just not it for me. I'm sure many will enjoy it, I personally find it very lacking from the TES franchise as well as the MMO perspective. I'm just going to wait for TES VI.

See, you posted the issue yourself. You had high expectations, perhaps too high. I'm not going to comment on your points, that's not the point I'm trying to make.
    This is the issue with most newly released games (perhaps more specifically MMOs). The expectations are killing them.

As for previous TES games - let's not kid ourselves here. The one thing TESO is banking on and that got us all excited about the prospect of an Elder Scrolls MMO is the potential of it being similar to the wildly popular later titles from Morrowind to Oblivion and Skyrim, and not the ancient beginnings of the series in terms of lore. Yeah, you could make an RTS in that universe. Technically you could call it an Elder Scrolls game. But when you say "an Elder Scrolls game" to a casual gamer, he'll think of one of the three titles mentioned above, and the characteristics these bring.
    You really didn't answer the question, do you consider Battlespire and Redguard, TES games? I am sure at one point when a person said "Warcraft" to a casual gamer they though Warcraft 2 or Warcraft 3. Eventually when you mention "Warcraft" they will probably think of Hearthstone and not even WoW. A developer can do whatever he wants with the IP. Thankfully in this case just because they are making a TES MMO doesn't mean they won't make the single player open world game we are all used to.

ESO is cannon, ESO lore is stamped by Bethesda. It is Elder Scrolls. It is not Elder Scrolls the single player open world game. It is an Elder Scrolls MMO.

Deleted
    7 minute official video on blacksmithing if anyone is interested

Nothing new though, if you crafted during the beta you already know the system.

that doesn't weaken him, imo. his conquering of the entire continent and being the emperor that he was is enough for me to support him as a god of man.
    IMO a conqueror is much weaker than a being that can shape and mold existence.