Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    The legal system in the US is a joke, would do wonders to get some new higherups who'd replace the messed up police force
    So are the "people" claiming here.

And 1800 bucks? Yeah right I call BS. My legal fees for a fucking Pot Arrest were not even 400 and took 3 weeks.

Deleted
    You asked a question and then gave your own evidence to answer it, why bother when you already know first hand what the answer is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you appeal the judge's decision for a court appointed attorney? I know it sounds ridiculous (because it is) but too many judges will deny a court appointed attorney if you have any job at all. They hope people won't appeal the decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many lawyers work in conjunction with the courts. They can get you sweet deals because they have relationships with those making decisions. Yes, it is sort of a racket. I partied with the lawyer that got me off of a drug charge. I did blow with him several times. He actually setup the new drug court system for our city. So when I got popped I went straight to him because I knew that he made the drug program that I was going to have to do.

The worst part of our legal system are the corrupt judges that have pretty much total control. They can do whatever they want in their town and often flex their muscle just for their own egos. They can say all sorts of bullshit with no repercussions. Your word against them.

A defense is your right. Though, I would never take a public defender. They just want the case out of their workload and you would be better off without them.
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-05-05 at 09:26 PM.
    I like sandwiches

imo if someone is sueing you or w/e and it turns out you're not guilty you should be able to counter sue that person for your legal costs

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeOsoproyo View Post
    imo if someone is sueing you or w/e and it turns out you're not guilty you should be able to counter sue that person for your legal costs
    You can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeOsoproyo View Post
    You can do that.

EDIT: Beat by Punks lol

Should have just acted in your own defense and hired a paralegal. Lot cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    What was the exact court decision? If you were found not guild you should be able to claim your lawyers fees + compensation for false arrest/jail.
    I was thinking the same thing. In BC, Canada, this has to be claimed though. You also get just about everything back. Basically, you're to be setup just as you were before the incident.

I've done this. When my ex-husband took off to God knows where and left our old apartment, he didn't pay the overdue rent he owed and he still had several months on the lease. Unfortunately the company that owned the apartment complex went after my grandparents, who cosigned the apartment to help us get it years before, instead of trying to chase my ex down to get the money he owed. Rather than fight it in court, they just paid it. They probably would have won, but it wasn't worth the time or money to do it.

That wasn't a crime though, if I were accused of some crime that I didn't do, I would probably fight it if I had the means to regardless of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    One time I had to pay $1800 in Legal fees to avoid being found guilty of a Misdemeanor that would have cost $200.

Does anyone else think that this legal system is a bit crooked when it is better to admit guilt to something that you didn't do rather than maintain your innocence?

And yes, I did ask for a court appointed lawyer, and was told that since I had a job that I could pay for my own Lawyer. This Judge told several other people in the Court Room the same thing. He even told a guy who was drawing unemployment that since he had income that he could afford his own lawyer. :-\
    "if you Cannot afford a lawyer one will be appointed to you"

Cannot is the operative word. Not "too cheap to pay"

Even if you got a court appointed attorney you'd have to pay him some sum the court told you to. They're not free.

Second, their legal expertise is valuable depending on the crime.

Deleted
    How can be layer so expensive? US is full of them, just grab some less expensive and enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrlae View Post
    the thing is if you're found guilty, you're a "criminal" and i assume you'll have a harder time to get a job/flat/etc (depends on the crime ofc, but who'd fight because of a parking ticket :P)
    Not if its a misdemeanor normally.

This could be said for a lot of things. There's quite often a much easier and cheaper method to everything. Doesn't necessarily make it the best method.

I thought even if you plead guilty there still has to be enough evidence for that to be true?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post

And yes, I did ask for a court appointed lawyer, and was told that since I had a job that I could pay for my own Lawyer. This Judge told several other people in the Court Room the same thing. He even told a guy who was drawing unemployment that since he had income that he could afford his own lawyer. :-\
    This is not only a complete lie, it is hilariously easy to spot. If a judge was really doing that, he would be disbarred.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't confessing a crime you didn't do like reverse perjury or something?