Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Will Guild Wars 2 require an insanely good PC?

Question in title.

I don't know the specific specs of my computer but i can play Rift on fairly high graphics, SWTOR on average graphics (no shadows), Skyrim on decent graphics, pretty much most games on medium/high graphics with no lag. Will this sort of average computer handle GW2?

Thanks.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure that shadows will almost always kick the shit out of your computer unless you're playing on some kind of monster machine, so I have just learned to turn those off in almost every game I play because I don't even need them. Games like Skyrim and GW2 both make my laptop heat up quite a bit but I have a fan beneath it to keep it running. Other than that, GW2 beta ran great for me on my laptop in the open-world. The masses of people in the beta crushes your frames in large cities when you first zone in, but it gets better. I have no doubt it will be just fine for you as well.
    Last edited by Whisperawr; 2012-05-05 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    Question in title.

I don't know the specific specs of my computer but i can play Rift on fairly high graphics, SWTOR on average graphics (no shadows), Skyrim on decent graphics, pretty much most games on medium/high graphics with no lag. Will this sort of average computer handle GW2?

Thanks.
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com
    Find guild wars 2 on the dropdown and have a look, though in many cases shadows will slow/kill just about any setup since they eat alot of memory.

Deleted
    Question in title.

Thanks.
    I think you will be fine. Doesn't look more but more about the same as star wars, and I think they got about same min requirements as well

Deleted
    No worries. If you can handle skyrim you'll definitely be able to handel Guild Wars 2.

Don't trust much in the reports given from the beta weekend, as the game was poorly optimized for that test. It was only using one core, not detecting SLI, and so on.

But, on my 4 years old laptop that can't run WoW or Rift on High, I was able to run it pretty well with everything on Low, except on some densely populated zones/events (ie, no chance for WvW for me).

um .. i mean the req's are gonna be higher than games in the past because it's a newer game obviously, but i have an "ok" computer, not even that good, and i was able to function perfectly fine with a number of people all shooting spells at the same time.

This is all very encouraging thanks for the responses!

Also thanks for the link to that site Seems very handy, bookmarked it.

I guess this thread has served its purpose now so a mod can feel free to lock it if he so desires ^^

And now im off to pre-order...
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

IF you have a strong CPU and decent GPU you'll be fine. I played the beta weekend's unoptimized client with all settings maxed@1200p on a I5-760 and GTX580. The GPU usage stayed relatively low throughout all gameplay. They're both overclocked but the notes mentioned the game beta client didn't like overclocked components for some reason adn they may even lower performance over stock, but I used them overclocked anyway. I had very smooth and playable framerates throughout the whole weekend even during the massive clusterfuck of the stress test/beta weekend closing event.

Having played Rift for a while I recall that being a more demanding game.

My Wife and I played the BWE, and her computer is subpar power-wise. She actually ran the CPU-Locked, Unoptimized beta better than she could SWTOR at medium settings. In that sense, once they get the game running like a well oiled machined accross multiple hardware setups...I think you'd be just fine.

Deleted
    We do not know yet. The game barely had any optimization in the last beta event. You'll have to wait till we're closer to the release date.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amd quadcore 3.6Ghz processor, Radeon 6670 GPU, 8gigs of ram. I ran it ok... in WvW I dropped down to ~10 FPS but I also noticed it was only using one core on my CPU and it was barely using my GPU. So hopefully some things will be changed before launch or even the next BWE.
    Last edited by Nitsuj; 2012-05-05 at 10:35 PM.
    WoW Hunter WarriorPaladin Death Knight
    D3 Crusader
    Gw2 Lvl 80 Dragon Hunter, Lvl 80 Warrior, Lvl 80 Revenant
    Bnet GrapeSoda#1671
    Gw2 GrapeSoda.5980
    Hit me up, let's play.

It ran fine on my PC with a Intel i7-2600k and twin frozr II 560ti lol with no lag and no FPS drops. And it also ran fine on my crappy Laptop with a 210m card inside.
    But my laptop couldn't really handle the WvW very well with tons of players. Solo play/ DE's went pretty smoothly for the laptop though.

WvW was definitely the largest FPS killer for me as well. Most of the large boss events in the world were handled pretty well, though it wasnt completely smooth. I really look forward to see just how cleanly the game runs once it's opened up to multicore and the full power of our graphics cards.

2.5 GHz dual core processor with 9800 GT graphics card. No issues here.

Question in title.

Thanks.
    If you can play Rift, you'll be fine in GW2

As an aside, I tried GW2 on my crappy work laptop during BWE also and it ran a hell of a lot better than it ran SWTOR.

better computer = better gfx and smoother gameplay

10+ Year Old Account
    Even with no optimisation people will half decent laptops were running GW2 okay. I'd guess any laptop or desktop made in the last 3 or 4 years will run it fine.

Deleted
    Before BWE, they were very clear about the fact they are still during optimisation process - that was the reason of some FPS issues ppl had.

At first, GW2 was unplayable on my PC, but then I've read they are strongly suggesting not running it on OC machines. So I've toned down CPU OC to default values and voilà - it run smooth as hell after this.

I was surprised how well it was running on old machines, few of my friends actually managed to not only just "run" GW2 on low end laptops, but actually play structured PVP with me with reasonable frame rate.

You'll be happy to know that because it's an MMO, it's more about the CPU than the GPU. In most computers, the CPU is better than the GPU, so it should run better than most non-MMO games do. That said, some dynamic events, large-scale PVP and cities are going to be hellish because you're going to be playing at your minimum FPS, and if you don't have a pretty bitchin' CPU then it's going to be fairly low.