Thread: Resillience...?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouge Master 9000 View Post
    gw2 doesn't have gear imbalances
    I'm well versed in the details of gw2 you would do well not to do something quite so silly again
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    I'm well versed in the details of gw2 you would do well not to do something quite so silly again
    you would do well not to imply resilience is a good idea
    Last edited by Radux; 2012-05-06 at 06:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He did nothing of the sort.

The real question is: why are you posting in size 23? You may as well be posting in all caps.
    Last edited by Radux; 2012-05-06 at 06:35 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    He did nothing of the sort.

The real question is: why are you posting in size 23? You may as well be posting in all caps.
    he edited his post and now it makes sense. and because I'm cool.
    Last edited by Radux; 2012-05-06 at 06:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't bother read my post at all did you

Quit with the large text thing too, you're not as profound as you think
    Last edited by Radux; 2012-05-06 at 06:35 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

Why are you posting with such silly font sizes in this thread?
    I'm in the "I don't have an obnoxiously large signature" club.

Deleted
    Toughness doesn't really matter since everyone has the same gear level. So you won't meet someone with 4k resilience when you have none.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Toughness doesn't really matter since everyone has the same gear level. So you won't meet someone with 4k resilience when you have none.
    Well, you can meet somebody with hundreds more Toughness while you have none, but in return you'll have hundreds of Malice, which ignores Armor. HEEEEE~~~
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Yea I completely agree resilience is retarded. The gear advantage in PvP should definately go to all the high end PvE guilds that slay dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    Yea I completely agree resilience is retarded. The gear advantage in PvP should definately go to all the high end PvE guilds that slay dragons.
    Which is irrelevant in guild wars 2

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Which is irrelevant in guild wars 2
    Obviously not referring to GW2, referring to the WoW portion of the post.

Obviously not referring to GW2, referring to the WoW portion of the post.
    I see. Gotcha. Tough to tell sometimes on internet forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I see. Gotcha. Tough to tell sometimes on internet forums.
    I'll be honest I didn't even know I was in a "GW2" portion of the forums, but the point still stands .

Resil isnt needed like it was in WoW, because gear in GW2 is capped.

10+ Year Old Account
    ....really tired of people throwing around the term "dragonslayer" like some kind of insult, insinuating that it takes no skill.

Deleted
    Sigh, so much bashing of resilience. Resilience is a fine, although slightly flawed in regards to healing, stat in WoW. There are basically three reasons that together create the need for resilience in WoW.

• Stat progression
    • PvE balanced around tanks only being able to reduce physical damage outside of cooldowns.
    • More offensive stats than defensive stats in general.

Combine those and you really need something like resilience in PvP. For those in this thread who don't understand this basic concept and believe that mages one-shotting other players in WoW Vanilla was the epitome of PvP, I can just say, "Don't ever get into game design, because you would suck at it". Anyway, that went a bit off topic. What I was about to say was that in GW2

• There is no stat progression.
    • PvE is balanced around players reducing all incoming damage.
    • There is a fairly good balance between defensive and offensive stats.

So there is absolutely no reason why GW2 would need anything like resilience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildclaw View Post
    Sigh, so much bashing of resilience. Resilience is a fine, although slightly flawed in regards to healing, stat in WoW. There are basically three reasons that together create the need for resilience in WoW.

• Stat progression
    • PvE balanced around tanks only being able to reduce physical damage outside of cooldowns.
    • More offensive stats than defensive stats in general.

Combine those and you really need something like resilience in PvP. For those in this thread who don't understand this basic concept and believe that mages one-shotting other players in WoW Vanilla was the epitome of PvP, I can just say, "Don't ever get into game design, because you would suck at it". Anyway, that went a bit off topic. What I was about to say was that in GW2

• There is no stat progression.
    • PvE is balanced around players reducing all incoming damage.
    • There is a fairly good balance between defensive and offensive stats.

So there is absolutely no reason why GW2 would need anything like resilience.
    Actually, what I've argued since they first talked about adding resilience was that they should instead actually tweak numbers to be balanced for PvP instead of relying on a "god stat" to do it for them. I definitely was not a fan of the PvP balance back in vanilla.

It's something that I feel ANet did correctly with GW2. They specifically designed the game from the ground up with the idea of having both PvE and PvP, and thus were able to tweak numbers accordingly.

Blizzard openly said way back in TBC that Resilience was added because they created WoW originally with only PvE in mind, and PvE involved monsters with thousands of HP, several factors higher than what players could achieve, and that player numbers had to be balanced with that in mind.

When they decided to support PvP more seriously, they realized that it wouldn't work.

In regards to the balance of offensive and defensive stats in WoW:
    1. Agi/Str/Int
    2. Critical hit
    3. Haste
    4. Mastery
    5. Hit/Expertise
    Back when Resilience was added, it's worth arguing that there was also Attack Power/Spell Damage, which Mastery basically replaced for many specs.
    Yes, I know, I "cheated" by combining some of the stats. Agi, Str, and Int are essentially all the same damn thing, and no spec uses a combination of the three (except for Enhance Shaman and Hunters back in TBC, which has been fixed). In addition, Hit and Expertise serve the same purpose: make it easier to hit your opponent. I only make this distinction because they're both cap-stats, and one of them isn't used by a majority of the specs in the game.

1. Armor
    2. Resistance
    3. Dodge
    4. Parry
    5. Block
    6. Resilience
    ...oops.

IMO, the only flaw with that list is how little defense there is against magical damage. Again, GW2 does not make this mistake, and causes armor to reduce all forms of damage, instead of just physical.

(Let's face it: If you're blasted with a fireball, would you rather be naked, wearing normal clothes, or wearing something to help deflect/absorb some of the blow? There's a reason the stereotypical dragon slayer is depicted as blocking fire-breath with a shield)
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-06 at 07:16 PM.

Resilience is not needed in GW2 for the simple reason: there are no healers, meaning there's very little need to reduce incoming damage to "healable" levels. Instead survivability is about stacking health pool to survive bursts like that of warriors' one shot combo to avoid "death inside stunlock", which admittedly was a bit broken in BWE for couple of classes (frenzy, I'm looking at you).

....really tired of people throwing around the term "dragonslayer" like some kind of insult, insinuating that it takes no skill.
    During the time when resilience was new, it was an insult because dragon slaying was about afking in molten bore and not standing where onyxia deep breathes.

Deleted
    Well, you can meet somebody with hundreds more Toughness while you have none, but in return you'll have hundreds of Malice, which ignores Armor. HEEEEE~~~
    Even if your gear didn't have lots of toughtness you could just go to the mists and switch it out if you wanted to.

10+ Year Old Account
    he edited his post and now it makes sense. and because I'm cool.
    i edited my post so that my quip about ignoring the mod didnt get me banned

it was never to please you
    The Original Ganksta