Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lolo855 View Post
    naxx and aq40 had difficult encouter for vanilla wow, but people now are used to those mecanics so they seem simple, but when a lot of people played without addons and didn't know their class aswell as people do now, also the lack of accesible and good guides made it harder for progressing guilds, now you can easily see all tactics, and you are used to mechanics which makes a lot of bosses easier although they are more complex then back then, i also remeber the 2 first bosses in bwl being a pain for a lot of guilds, especially when you lacked good kitters and good tanks.

Oh and also if you pretend all bosses back in vanilla were easy you weren't around, or your just trying to boost your epeen, because as i remember most guilds didn't just faceroll stomp over all the raids or outdoor bosses for that matter.

yeah and the thing i miss is the community all the friends i made back then, still have contacts with a lot of them and we talk on regular basis altough most of them stopped playing wow, now it's just harder to get to know people due to LFR and LFD, you could really make some friends in those 4 hours BRD runs
    So, the bosses were not harder, the players were just worse And that's all about the mystical classic difficulty. We, meaning the very most of all classic players, were just "idiots". We did not know much about our class, theorycrafting and how to bet a - afterwards very simple - mechanic. Even such bosses as Spine HC are a lot more complex and harder, than four horsemen (or any other boss) ever were. And not alone the bosses were - mechanic-wise - easier, classes were less complex. If the general player had not been so bad these days, we all could lough about someone calling classic "hard".

What I miss most about these good old times? As stated above, the feeling it's new. I loved Warcraft RoC and TFT and the great story behind. And so it was just a sequel for me to RoC/TFT and it felt just new and different, but in opposite to other MMORPGs (such as Lineage II, which I played a bit) very familiar, 'cause I knew many of the characters I met. And yes, even today, sometimes I get this feeling and that's why I still play. I remember the first time I went to Dragonblight shortly after WotLK release. To see Alexstrasza, Nozdormu and watch Ysera dreaming in the emerald dragonshrine was just great. So was the DK introduction questline, although I don't like Tirion got the Ashbringer ^^

But after so many years, these moment become rarer and nothing will be like the first months in classic, discovering this huge, already known, world on my own, meeting characters like Thrall, Sylvanas, the Bronzebards, etc. Good old times will always be good Nonetheless I also like today's World of Warcraft, okay Cata was not was I hoped it would be, but after some great addon like WotLK (storywise), it did not suprised me. I really look forward to MoP as Chen Stormstout and the Pandaren Brewmaster was one of my favorite heroes in TFT, but not alone lorewise, also some of the new mechanics (espacially the new talent trees) and some of the new content (pet battles!!!) are something I'll enjoy.

Well back in vanilla I wasn't playing, but I was still competing in judo and I do miss that.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh not at all, people are so desparate for attention that we constantly have two or three people with the "Savior of Azeroth" title (meaning they killed heroic DW) on their drops-from-Ragnaros flame colored firehawk mount, sitting on the steps of the AH practically BEGGING to be noticed.
    My favorite part is when the cover up NPCs or mailboxes with their special mounts or I have to deal with an annoying sound (motorcycles, I'm looking at you) Because some attention-deprived idiot wants attention. My cat is more discrete than you.

I promise the gankers miss being able to gank people so easy. I know they're all hoping to see a huge resurgance of that in MOP.
    I don't miss 50% of all new server populations being rogues. I maintain the current rogue population problem is bad karma from their prideful/gluttonous past in vanilla.

I miss the community and how new and fresh everything was

One thing I do miss is running to places the first time. My first character was a Tauren, and I still remember the first 4 longish runs.. to bloodhoof, to TB, to Crossroads and to Ratchet. Not having all flightpaths given made it feel more ´epic´when you were entering a new quest hub. Especially the first run to Crossroads was awesome, because you were level 12 running on a road surrounded by lvl 20ish mobs. it felt like an adventure.

But yeah.. raiding was terrible back then. The most complicated thing a dps had to do was change targets. How many bosses required no movement at all... and rotations were so easy back then (for many specs).

Deleted
    Being asked to stand still in IF so someone could take a screenshot of me with Judgement Helm (T2) because epics were epic. farming a shield for 2 weeks because it had a skull that breathed fire on it regardless of how bad it was for me. Also, Barrens PVP.

How new and fresh everything felt, farming ubrs, strath and scholo because everyone was caught up in getting their blue dungeon set before trying molten core. I miss being on a server where pretty much everyone knew everyone, miss the trash talking between guilds on old realm forum boards, which is now few and far between because of server transfers and faction changing. One of the worst decisions ever from a game play standpoint, imo, was allowing server transfers and faction changes. It singlehandedly ruined communities and guilds , etc .

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 06:18 PM ----------

Forgot to add, at the very start there was no cap on how many people you could take into a dungeon. I still remember going in raids to ubrs/scholo, and strat, and actually wiping on certain parts of scholo, even in a 30 man raid group LOL.

Actual character progression and a real community.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by raist474 View Post
    My favorite part is when the cover up NPCs or mailboxes with their special mounts or I have to deal with an annoying sound (motorcycles, I'm looking at you) Because some attention-deprived idiot wants attention. My cat is more discrete than you.

I don't miss 50% of all new server populations being rogues. I maintain the current rogue population problem is bad karma from their prideful/gluttonous past in vanilla.
    I remember the days when rogues ruled Azeroth...

Those were dark times, when no one could roam outside a friendly zone without fear of a sudden ambush. Every low level of the other side seemed to have a rogue buddy hiding behind the bush, and you didn't.

It was also the era of the undead rogue, the single most powerful killing machine in all of MMO history. The Alliance crumbled under the undead rogue, and was soon left a ghost of itself.

So blizzard nerfed undead rogues, added BGs, and the rest is history. Who wants more tea?
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    The newness

And that's about it. Almost everything that followed was an improvement.
    Putin khuliyo

no RECOUNT. no WOWHEAD. being a noob. being able to talk your way into a raid team instead of a dummy test drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    The big, epic, world-spanning questlines. That they gave you gear that wouldn't automatically be replaced by something bought with tokens as soon as the next patch came out was a bonus.

Absolutely nothing.

I really mean that. There isn't one facet of the game I'd want back. The community on my server (at the time, Laughing Skull) was already awful anyways thanks to Leeroy Jenkins that I never cared about community. Tarren Mill vs Southshore was dead by the time I hit 60 on my server and had decent gear.

Raiding sucked. 40 man raiding was AWFUL. I'm probably jaded here because I wasn't in that fantastic of a guild who carried 10-15 people every raid night (at least)

PvP sucked. I was a rogue then (and now) and I was OP as shit. Dropping people in 10 seconds or less when they can't even move was great and all, but the same thing could happen to me whenever my trinket was down, and back then my trinket was practically useless anyways. I think it only broke seduce and.... I don't remember what else. Definitely not fear or stuns, though, and I'm pretty sure not sheep. (locks > deathcoil > fear > seduce > dead within those 3. Mages > sheep > pyro > ball > blast > freeze when close > runaway > blast > dead. Warriors could drop me within a few GCDs, etc)

Dungeons were useless (and boring) and there we zero reason to ever run them. There was nothing to do besides raid, PvP, or farm raid mats.

Vanilla was an awful game compared to what WoW is today. People need to stop lying to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    no RECOUNT. no WOWHEAD. being a noob. being able to talk your way into a raid team instead of a dummy test drive.
    DPS Meter was around then, instead of recount.
    Thottbot was around then, instead of WoWHead.
    Talking your way into a raid group then didn't get you far if you couldn't perform, and you can still do the same thing today. My guild today still accepts apps but drops people if they can't perform. All these things still existed in vanilla.

Edit: I'm not trying to make it sound like rogue PvP in vanilla was bad. I mean that ALL PvP was bad. It was a huge burst fest that required minimal skill and mostly gear. Whoever could hit the hardest, the fastest, always won.
    Last edited by Dirgon; 2012-05-08 at 04:59 AM.

How broken the world was. I loved glitching into places you weren't supposed to be in, finding ways around walls, or just randomly falling into the Emerald Dream. I used to get messaged from GMs asking how I managed to get into certain zones. Granted, I used to be super friendly with a guild called 'Bugbusters' who's only purpose was to find and get all bugs fixed. You just can't find any of that anymore.
    Elyaan may have made this. Possibly maybe.

everything was better... everything

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Class Uniqueness.

This is what I miss the most:

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptah View Post
    World pvp. Southshore and barren mill, damn I miss those times
    Nothing stops you from setting up a world event again. Really, nothing, go do it. Make a post on your realm forum, look for more people like it. Nothing has changed that stops you from doing EXACTLY what we did back in the days.

Oh, and I don't miss a single thing about vanilla. Maybe maybe class quests, but that's about it. ( No I don't mean like water totem/seal form quest, I'm talking about the Paladin/Warlock mount quests).

And oh yeah, four horsemen wasn't hard, the hard part was as people have mentioned, having 8 warriors (face it, they were the only tanks), but not only that, 8 warriors with tier set bonus to not miss taunt.

Things I don't miss about vanilla however is a long list, like how only 1/3rd of the specs were actually useful in raids, wanted to try anything else? Well no way, because the game won't allow you to do it, or well, it would allow you to do it, but it would be like playing with open fingers, and your keyboard where made of salt. That's how painful it was to play a hybrid back in the days, if you're gonna do anything except from the role that the tier set was for, you were fucked, unless you were really really really skilled, then you would still be behind the pures, no matter what they do (auto-shotting hunter says hi).

I can think of ONE, ONE good boss-mechanic, that was somewhat interesting, that was Nefarians class calls, that's about it.
    "If you are going to do something, including being an alcoholic, don't half-ass it. /Cheers." - Vezrah, 2012

You know, not being a huge fan of PvP in general and very much not a fan of it in WoW, I surprisingly miss old world PVP a lot. Fighting over the elementals in Arathi, raiding Southshore with an entire 40 man raid and pretty much controlling the docks until the Alliance rallied, et cetera. That stuff was a heck of a lot of fun.