Poll: Priest or shaman options (Alliance)

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Healing in Mist of pandaria

Hello im an old school player,

raided through whole of vanilla as rogue (Naxx40 server 3rd raid-group, played pvp in a steady group with about 3 or 4 high warlords,
    i only made it to rank 11 as highest (mount you know =P) my shaman friend thought it was way too easy to get to rank 11 ^^ so he teased me for it), raided BC, (raid-group broke up after Vashj and Kael'thas, we managed to kill first boss in bt).

after that i just played pvp, was gladiator season 1, 5v5, don't remember much else of bc, i never stepped foot in sunwell.
    So Wrath came and with it DK:s so i abandoned my rogue at 70 (still at 70 now BTW) after having several hundreds of days played on him (i still remember when i hit 100 days, the raid group was progressing on that third boss in mc, god that was such a long time ago),
    and i leveled a dk quickly i was dk number 3 or 4 on horde i was lvl 80 as quickly as my friends on their old characters.
    My old raid-group was full so i joined a new one with old pvp friends, we cleared naxx easily and quickly, and then i suddenly burned out
    (i was playing dk tank before blizz decided to make it ez mode with blood spec). So i stopped playing wow for awhile,
    then i picked up my alt hunter (I've always loved hunters and played them from time to time
    ( in fact the only reason i didn't play a hunter instead of a rogue at start was my irl friend who i leveled with wanted to play hunter, so i chose rogue instead). So at the middle of wrath i talked all my irl friends into making a move to my brothers realm
    ( we we´re all playing on different servers on different sides) so we made us a guild and started playing together,
    we played through trials raid and got ourself geared, then we all decided on quitting again, so i decided it was time i moved to another server and started playing in a guild called "the PUG" which i had read about on greedy goblin's blog (back when he played wow). So i got back in the raider mode, i was sitting my days playing my hunter and raiding whenever i could lich king raid, rest of the time i was making gold like always, and counting dps gain
    by different rotations and gear upgrades i started playing over 12 hours a days and when i was at work i started by downloading rawr and optimizing everything i could, we killed the lich king and i lost interest in the game again. So i left the game and the next time
    I talked my brother into making a refer a friend account and level 2 new characters through the new content,
    so i made a lvl 1 Tauren warrior and my brother made a Orc shaman (he was rogue in vanilla also naxx40, but in bc he switched to draenai when they were released to alliance). So we got to 85 fairly quick i was mostly dungeon tanking after 58, and he went enhance.
    So we joined Team Liquid, cause we have some friends there from starcraft 2. And after that long period of playing 1-85 almost straight and doing all dungeons to gear up (BTW 80-85 dungeons were awesome pre nerf), then we started getting pvp gear,
    but as blizz fucked up the honor gain from the bridge bug, we both had full honor gear from a week.
    So my brother who's a pure pvp:er by now, (gladiator with his shaman in 5v5 teams in bc several seasons) he got really bored at the game so he played some raids and quit, after he quit i also quit again.

tl:dr Lifestory

So now for MoP I've got my brother really excited for the new expansion,
    so we are probably going to play on his home server or some other place (man it would be so awesome if blizz opened a new server with no transfers).
    So I've never played as a healer, ( i played rogue (for vanilla / Bc), Dk tank (for start of wrath), Hunter (for end of wrath),
    Warrior Tank (for start of cata) so i really want to play this expansion as a healer (My brother has never played a tank class
    (rogue and shaman) and for cata hes really excited for the changes to Druid so i think hes gonna play one,
    So I've never really played a healer, oh ive played a druid resto in aq20 and dungeons, and I've played a priest to 80 dungeons healing,
    and I've healed with my brothers shaman from time to time. But I've never played a healer in competitive play,
    so for MoP i was excited for monk healing, but when I've looked at live stream and on all the info on monks I'm really not excited in them.
    So I'm looking for a healing class for me, so far I've been thinking about shaman or priest
    (i wont play paladin (4 of my irl friends only play palas so no no no).
    I don't know if i´ll like shaman, my brothers been playing one for so many years too so i know shaman healing is quite nice,
    but as it is right now i think I'm more inclined to play a priest, so what do you guys think whats the best option for me?
    I want to play healer in heavy pve environment and maybe try it on some pvp (though i will most likely play hunter in pvp). So could you list to me what race / class combo you think is best for the classes ( we will most likely play alliance)

My brother and i will most likely use Scroll of resurrection
    Last edited by mmoc0abcacbae5; 2012-05-01 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Added Scroll fact

10+ Year Old Account
    Level a Priest. there are 2 different healing styles to choose from.

Deleted
    hmm i failed to say that we are most likely skipping leveling this time by getting two new characters to 80 by scroll of resurrection (added this to the main post)

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 05:33 AM ----------

Anyone else have any input? =P

*shameless Bump*

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 10:36 AM ----------

really noone ? =P

I am a big fan of Dwarves, they are so rugged and awesome. Love beer and beards. they live in a mountain... backbone of the alliance. I have always trusted priests more than shaman as healers being a warrior tank. I think i'm real bias towards priests because I played a dorf war before shaman were even on the alliance.

Priests make the best healers IMO

Deleted
    Thanks for your input so far, but i dont think i have a clear vision why i should choose priest or shaman in mop yet

Go Mistweaver Monk, Mistweaver is the funnest I've ever had as a healer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cargath View Post
    why ? what i´ve seen from beta footage it seems dull and boring would you mind giving me more info?

Quote Originally Posted by pippen1001 View Post
    why ? what i´ve seen from beta footage it seems dull and boring would you mind giving me more info?
    Well, it might be personal preference, but once you healed as a Mistweaver Monk, you'll either love it or hate it. Give it a whirl if you have the Beta, it's funner to do it then to watch a video on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cargath View Post
    Sir this is about priests and shamans, not monks. I would go with shamans because i believe they will be buffed this expansion correct?

Quote Originally Posted by flaggel View Post
    Sir this is about priests and shamans, not monks. I would go with shamans because i believe they will be buffed this expansion correct?
    I would not bank on Shaman buffs. Priest have historically never been really bad and when they have it has been hotfixed. They have 2 healing specs so the chances are that one of them will be decent/OP. I can't remember a tier where Priests have been terrible while T11 and T12 were both awful for Shaman and that is just Cataclysm. I would go Priest from a logistically stand point.

I personally love Shaman healing much more than Priests though, so you should try both out and find out what you like more.
    \

Human healers are gross, ya you get a free trinket, but I could care less I prefer looks, plus Gnome gets a 5% bonus to their mana pool, and a break out of immobilization effect on a 1.45 minute cool down, which isn't on the global cool down.

Since you brother is a Shaman, I would definitely roll a Priest though.

Deleted
    Hmm looking at the poll most people so far seems to think human priest is best choice, is that for the pvp trinket slot for pvp purposes?
    Last edited by mmoc0abcacbae5; 2012-05-02 at 05:01 AM.

Hello im an old school player,

raided through whole of vanilla as rogue (Naxx40 server 3rd raid-group, played pvp in a steady group with about 3 or 4 high warlords,
    i only made it to rank 11 as highest (mount you know =P) my shaman friend thought it was way too easy to get to rank 11 ^^ so he teased me for it), raided BC, (raid-group broke up after Vashj and Kael'thas, we managed to kill first boss in bt).
    After that statment i stoped reading!
    PPL allways say: im old school / played since vanilla / all you noobs that started playing in Wotlk!

As soon as I see anyone with one of these i just stop cause 95% of everyone (made up number, just meen allmost everyone) that says any of these DID NOT play during vanilla according to Armory from other threads they post.

So sorry mate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasengu View Post
    After that statment i stoped reading!
    PPL allways say: im old school / played since vanilla / all you noobs that started playing in Wotlk!

As soon as I see anyone with one of these i just stop cause 95% of everyone (made up number, just meen allmost everyone) that says any of these DID NOT play during vanilla according to Armory from other threads they post.

So sorry mate.
    It's your opinion, i don't care what you think of my past, if you want to help me in the now without knowing my background why would i care? i only really want to have some feedback on what class i might enjoy playing the most in mop

Thanks for your input so far, but i dont think i have a clear vision why i should choose priest or shaman in mop yet
    and you wont for a while. MoP is in early early beta, its all but impossible to decide which is going to fit YOUR play style for you better. You will have to wait and see, try them out and then decide based off what YOU like not what we like. Personally I am really digging the monks healing style, not so much the soloing quests but the healing in party is a blast.

Deleted
    While many people point you to priest just cause they have 2 ways of healing, I wouldn't join their call. The priest class sure does have 2 very unique healing ways from one another however you are limited to your decision and you cannot simply choose what you feel like if you are aiming for any kind of higher play in PvP while in PvE you are more free to choose however you can still not take what you feel like. It's all up to your guild and if you are a PvE player they will show no mercy for your opinion and put you as the spec they need.

tl;dr: Consider shaman even though a lot of people say priest is better due to 2 healing ways, shaman is still great fun.

Deleted
    Shamans are fine (and in this expansion I really like their changes, more cds and riptide without cd is gonna be awesome) but you are never gonna be the first in hps EVER, at least if the other healers are not horrible. That's because their mastery, only when things are going bad you are overpowered and (with the same ability as the other healers) you are gonna be the best choice to heal your raid.

In my opinion I'd recommend you go with priest (but also you should check monk), you have two healing styles (disc, holy) and they are more versatile.

ps: I have shaman healer 8/8hc, like I've said it's a good healer but not the best "in a general situation" and could be a little frustrating, so not the first choice I'd recommend if it's gonna be your first healer, imho.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxter View Post
    Shamans are fine (and in this expansion I really like their changes, more cds and riptide without cd is gonna be awesome) but you are never gonna be the first in hps EVER, at least if the other healers are not horrible. That's because their mastery, only when things are going bad you are overpowered and (with the same ability as the other healers) you are gonna be the best choice to heal your raid.

In my opinion I'd recommend you go with priest (but also you should check monk), you have two healing styles (disc, holy) and they are more versatile.

ps: I have shaman healer 8/8hc, like I've said it's a good healer but not the best "in a general situation" and could be a little frustrating, so not the first choice I'd recommend if it's gonna be your first healer, imho.
    Im not that interested in waiting for monk healing, but i really cant decide whats more fun shaman style of healing, where you have the healing wave big heal and chainheal smartcast, as a priest the style of healing is either by disc reducing incoming damage(dont know if disc priests still only shields raids), i must admit i´ve never played holy priest before as anything really.

I have an 85 Priest who raided T11, and an 84 Shaman who's doing heroics now and raided in LK. I like both, honestly. That being said, for a pure healer I would lean towards Priest. For damage, I find Elemental fun enough to play my Shaman instead... but that's a personal preference of Elemental's burst dps to Shadow's DoTs.

Voted Worgen on the poll because Darkflight in raid situations is SO helpful for avoiding "stand in the fire" stuff, and aside from a piddly aura priests don't have as many speed mobility options as other classes. They get a 1% crit bonus too, which is always helpful for heals.