Exclamation Fps problems with new build.

I just spent a couple hundred upgrading my system and I am experiencing unsatisfactory results.

Windows 7 64 bit
    Power supply: OCZ 700 watt
    Processor: AMD Phenom II x2 555 3.20 ghz
    RAM: 16 GB corsair vengeance
    Video card: Nvidia EVGA Geforce GTX 570
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3h

Temperature wise it is 43c normally. I have 5 fans.

According to the Nvidia optimization I should be able to run max settings with above 60 fps at all times.

But right now in org I am around 20-30 and it will spike up high and then back low again.

In Raids I will be anywhere from 7-25 fps.

In game I am using max settings fullscreened including the new SSAO. Multisampling 8x. Vsync off. Triple buffering off.

DX11 mode on, reduce imput lag off.

I don't know what is wrong. Any feedback or help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Quilava; 2012-09-03 at 04:29 AM.

There's a number of players having problems with the GTX 500 series cards and other cards as well. Some people suggest switching to DX9. Give that a shot. If that doesn't work then you might have to wait for a future patch or driver update from Nvidia.

It's been suggested that my processor is bottle necking my pc's performance.

Any other imput?

10+ Year Old Account
    Your cpu is the biggest issue, I was originally running a 965 BE and it was capping my GTX 580 at 45 frames in org on all ultra settings, I switched to intel and never looked back. Everything runs flawlessly now that my gpu is no longer bottlenecked.

Is that really it? I thought my Processor was good. Son of a bitch..

So like. What should I get? an I5?

Graphics card doesn't make a massive difference in WoW, it's all about the processor beef. That said, the new build reduced my FPS by a LOT, in some cases half and I don't think that is going to change, just the nature of them trying to push out some small improvements with that dated engine, small improvements require a lot more horsepower.

Thus is the reason why you need a high end 2012 computer to properly experience this 2004 game! Same happened to me when Cataclysm came out, my computer was fine with Wrath but I gave up on Cataclysm partly due to big drop in performance spoiling my gameplay in raids on my old system. The same thing is happening in MOP.

I could understand with the new Pandaria areas (as they clearly look better), but this performance drop is very much present in Orgrimmar too, which looks exactly the same. On maximum settings on the gunship event just as you start Pandaria areas, my FPS on the beta was really quite low, pathetically low for such a high end computer, optimisation is not the strongest point when it comes to this expansion, hopefully it will improve before it ships.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2012-09-03 at 05:07 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I need a better processor though.

Would an Intel core i5 3570k be good enough?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilava View Post
    I need a better processor though.

Would an Intel core i5 3570k be good enough?
    The i5 2500K and 3570K are the best ones you can get for pure gaming.
    Going for i7 will only cost you more without really gaining anything.

If you go intel remember you will need to buy a new 1155 socket motherboard along with it. But yes a 3570k will do the trick.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

10+ Year Old Account
    For the time being, you may have some luck unlocking the cores of your X2, thus turning it into an X3 or X4.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2927

I unlocked it and my cpu was rather unstable and glitchy, so I switched back..

Are there any other ways I can improve my performance?

I am saving for a new processor.

Deleted
    You should have upgraded your CPU instead. While the GPU determines the maximum obtainable framerate in WoW, the minimum depends entirely on the CPU (at least as long as the CPU and GPU aren't miles apart).

In hectic scenery with a lot of players, 25-man raids and cities for example, the game will struggle simply because so much information needs to be digested and calculated by the CPU.

I'd suggest fiddling with the settings. Turn shadows off, limit spell particles (especially in 25-man raids) and turn off any addons that deal with player data real-time (skada, recount, any addon that displays damage/healing taken, etc).

To note, it is a new patch and they are probably still trying to iron out how it works on different hardware configurations. It might get a bit better over time. Bottom line though, that GTX 570 is wasted on WoW; a GTX 460 would have been more than enough.