Diablo 3 Death: Teen Dies After Playing Game For 40 Hours Straight

A teenager died at an Internet cafe in Taiwan after reportedly playing the videogame "Diablo 3" for 40 hours straight.

The 18-year-old, who has only been identified by his first name, Chuang, had booked a private room at the Tainan cafe in southern Taiwan on the afternoon of July 13, according to the the Australian, which cited the United Daily News broadsheet. Chuang then proceeded to play the videogame for 40 hours straight without eating.

On July 15, an attendant went into the room where Chuang had been playing and found the teen resting on the table, according to the Australian. The attendant was able to wake Chuang, who stood up, took a few steps and then collapsed onto the ground. He was pronounced dead soon after arriving at the hospital.

According to the Mirror, authorities believe the teenager may have suffered a blood clot due to sitting for such a long period of time.

Blizzard, the developer of "Diablo 3," released the following statement, obtained by the Mirror and other news outlets, regarding the teen's death:

We're saddened to hear this news, and our thoughts are with his family and friends during this difficult time. We don't feel it would be appropriate for us to comment further without knowing all of the circumstances involved. While we recognise that it's ultimately up to each individual or their parent or guardian to determine playing habits, we feel that moderation is clearly important, and that a person's day-to-day life should take precedence over any form of entertainment.

Chuang is not the first individual to die following a long gaming session.

In February, 23-year-old Chen Rong-yu was found dead in an Internet cafe in New Taipei City, Taiwan, after having played the videogame League of Legends for 23 hours straight, according to the Taipei Times (via the New York Daily News).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ef=mostpopular

10+ Year Old Account
    Diablo 3 didn't kill the kid, his own stupidity did.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    Not this again, this is the third thread on the same topic and the previous two got closed. This one will too cause it only leads to bigotry remarks and prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Not this again, this is the third thread on the same topic and the previous two got closed. This one will too cause it only leads to bigotry remarks and prejudice.
    This is the the first time posting it for me. If people can talk about this in a calm civil manner without offensive remarks when we should all be fine? It just happened a few days ago. Not like this a is a month old.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love to game but you MUST to keep control. No game is worth dying over. I dont think its fair to call him stupid. The guys already paid the price.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    This is the the first time posting it for me. If people can talk about this in a calm civil manner without offensive remarks when we should all be fine? It just happened a few days ago. Not like this a is a month old.
    I know you mean well, and I also agree if we can have a civil discussion about this then why not, but the first topic showed that that seems to be impossible, and got closed quickly. Your thread is the third on this very same kid who died.

The only lesson to be learned from this is when you are behind your PC for a long sustained period of time; get up every 2 hours or so and stretch your legs for a few minutes to prevent blood clots forming in your extremities. Also eat and drink enough. Dehydration is very bad.

I feel sorry for him and his family. I hope they are taking it as well as a grieving family can. It's not worth dying over a game, doesn't matter how good it is. Though it might have been something else in his life that pushed him to play this much, like a way to escape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    Seriously this. I'm a high-speed, low-drag, supah-healah. Doling out the feel-goods LIKE A BAWS, keeping everyone shiny, happy and cool. Staying on top of my game, even in a combat situati....THERE'S THAT DAMN GROUNDHOG AGAIN!!!

Diablo consumed another soul.

pretty sure playing most games for 40+ hours straight is going to kill most people. The most ive played a game with no breaks is somewhere between 16-20 hours but thats when i was a teen. I dont see why these people are playing that long. Especially D3. Its not that exciting and the game isnt that long. Was this guy farming or somthing?

I feel sorry for no one. Darwinism at its finest. His parents should be ashamed to raise such a moron and should definitely consider adoption for any remaining children they have. It may not be too late.

10+ Year Old Account
    can't really say I feel sorry for him, I don't even understand how anyone can even sit for that long, the longest Ive ever game for was like 8hrs wild arms 3 abyss cuz you had to do that shit in one sitting.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

How do people even do shit like this? I feel sorry for him, his friends, and his family, but damn. I can't go all day without eating, I just can't. 40 Hours seems impossible to me. And even then, I don't normally sit without getting up at all for more than a couple hours. After like 3 hours maximum I'm gonna need to get food, or get water, or use the bathroom, or something. I can't even fathom how you could willingly go 40 hours without eating, and probably without even getting up.

if you play diablo 3 for 40 hours straight you probably deserve to die. I'd never lose my life over a game period especially one that is absolutely atrocious

Deleted
    A teenager died at an Internet cafe in Taiwan after reportedly playing the videogame "Diablo 3" for 40 hours straight.
    In February, 23-year-old Chen Rong-yu was found dead in an Internet cafe in New Taipei City, Taiwan, after having played the videogame League of Legends for 23 hours straight, according to the Taipei Times (via the New York Daily News).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ef=mostpopular
    At least he broke the other guy's record.

Idea for a new guinness world record category?

But yeah, how stupid do you have to be to play games for that long without eating or sleeping or doing pretty much anything?

What is there to discuss, some idiot played a game for 40 hours without eating and died.

sorry but i have no simpify for the fellow that died everyone should know to play video games in moderation and for the love of god if your gonna do one of these long gaming sessions take a 15 minute break out of every hour get up and move a round take on some fluid and food

10+ Year Old Account
    well not eating isn't an issue shit Ive done 3 days without eating, problem was his blood probably wasn't flowing properly and that's what ultimately killed him, I'm not a doctor so I can't go into details.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

is stupid to play a game for 40 hours and dont eat/drink anything -_-
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I'm afraid Cairhiin is right on this one, I've already closed two identical threads in the last two days, and as demonstrated people are already starting to insult him / call him names, so I'm closing this one as well.