Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Story of D3 was... eh

Am I the only one who thought that the story of D3 was sorta.... well, corny/stupid? The original games had some sort of gothic feeling to it, and the storyline felt more serious... whereas this... dunno, it ain't Metzens best work.

As ACT3 progresses it gets sillier and sillier.

The ending reminds me of Cata ending. "NOW MEN AND X MUST GO INTO A NEW AGE OF LOLZ"

What do you think?

(Love the game tho')

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only problem I had with it was that it was predictable, not corny.

I loved it but I do think act 4 was kinda rushed feeling. I also definitely agree that the older games had a much better gothic style art/look to them. Everything seemed so much more... dark/evil. I'm also sorta sad because when I beat it, I almost feel as if Bliz is trying to close out the Diablo series for good. Like they don't want to make any more. There's like... no room left on the end of D3's story to set it up for an expansion or a D4.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiveron View Post
    I loved it but I do think act 4 was kinda rushed feeling. I also definitely agree that the older games had a much better gothic style art/look to them. Everything seemed so much more... dark/evil. I'm also sorta sad because when I beat it, I almost feel as if Bliz is trying to close out the Diablo series for good. Like they don't want to make any more. There's like... no room left on the end of D3's story to set it up for an expansion or a D4.
    Pretty sure that an expansion will come due:

You don't see Adria anymore after she turns Leah into Diablo

But yeah, I agree. Predictable too.

Too bad the xpac seems like it will be very cliche as well

10+ Year Old Account
    I did not play D1 or D2 and cannot compere D3 to these games lore wise. But i played other games and made this opinion: D3 lore/storyline was very very poor - rushed, predictable and not consistent.
    Do not get me wrong - gameplay is awesome, game mechanics, graphics and skills are awesome, but lore - lore is a big no no ( poop ) in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was rather predictable, I had figured it out way ahead of my actual playthrough, even w/o reading spoilers all over the net.

Did like it tho, gave some sort of closure.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Story was predictable and Leah is another Blizzard mary sue.

My bigger concern is how tighly tied the storyline is to the questing and Acts. In Diablo 2, it was a nominal storyline that was just sufficient enough to drive you to the next zone. In diablo 3, the story is very pervasive and tightly tied to every part of progression.

I think the prominence of the story is going to limit the replay value of Diablo 3 in a few months time, and its a bit of a mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the story was just predictable enough to make you anticipate things and go "I knew it!" Like the fallen stranger being an angel for instance, and Adria betraying us

All in all it was a fun enough story to keep me entertained, and didn't distract too much from the whole sale slaughter I was doing.

As to there being an expansion or the story being over:

I'm pretty sure that Hell will be back with a vengeance, and it would not surprise me if it got done by a renegade Angel who doesn't like the fact there is no more opposing faction to fight. Also, like has been said, we still need to take care of the old witch.

And on a personal note about the story and possibly the future:

I'd love for them to bring Leah back in some way and have her carry on her Uncle's work, it's the one thing I expected at some point that didn't come true. With the way they've been setting up stuff in WoW it would not surprise me to see that they have this pre-planned in D3 too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post

My bigger concern is how tighly tied the storyline is to the questing and Acts. In Diablo 2, it was a nominal storyline that was just sufficient enough to drive you to the next zone. In diablo 3, the story is very pervasive and tightly tied to every part of progression.

I think the prominence of the story is going to limit the replay value of Diablo 3 in a few months time, and its a bit of a mistake.
    I'm not saying the story wasn't predictable, but you're misusing mary sue seeing as how the story went in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post

I'm not sure how she would be considered a Mary Sue character considering what happens in the game.

By the way, how do you make your text black like that?

I was expecting it to be predictable. Didnt realy matter, it was good enough, imo, and I am here mostly for demon smashing...

Every single Blizzard game we see a once sweet girl doing bad, its overdone every single one of they franshice has it and becomes the center

Warcarft: Sylvanas, Starcraft: Nova>Queen of Blades, D3 Leah>Diablo

Its getting so fucking boring, Metzen has really no more ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Every single Blizzard game we see a once sweet girl doing bad, its overdone every single one of they franshice has it and becomes the center

Warcarft: Sylvanas, Starcraft: Nova>Queen of Blades, D3 Leah>Diablo

Its getting so fucking boring, Metzen has really no more ideas?
    Does it matter if they turned her into the vessel? I mean, she didn't go bad for long. She turned into Diablo very quickly, so it shouldn't have mattered if it was Leah, Tyrael or someone else.

Having Leah survive would make her into a huge Mary Sue, which in my opinion would just be waaaay worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    Seriously this. I'm a high-speed, low-drag, supah-healah. Doling out the feel-goods LIKE A BAWS, keeping everyone shiny, happy and cool. Staying on top of my game, even in a combat situati....THERE'S THAT DAMN GROUNDHOG AGAIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiveron View Post
    Leah's mother and the soulstone that no one seemed to care about as it fell back to earth would like to have a word with you.

I think it will be an xpac rather than a new game, this could be the last game tho which is kind of sad .
    Hi Sephurik

I'd call Leah less of a Mary Sue and your own character as more of one.

Am I the only one that's tired of being The Super Special Chosen One Snowflake in every single game?

For once, I'd like to just be a regular guy who accomplishes something amazing despite not being born to do so.

The only thing that suprised me in the story was Deckard Cain actually dying, everything else was pretty obvious. (But I do read a lot of books, so the 'twists' are normally pretty easy to see coming).

yeah act4 was over in like 1 hour? --- was a bit disappointed tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
    I'd call Leah less of a Mary Sue and your own character as more of one.

Am I the only one that's tired of being The Super Special Chosen One Snowflake in every single game?

For once, I'd like to just be a regular guy who accomplishes something amazing despite not being born to do so.
    You gotta be more then a regular guy to beat the freaking prime evil, something the most powerful warrior (Imperius) failed at pretty bad. No normal human can do that no matter how skilled he or she is.

Quote Originally Posted by vryer View Post
    Am I the only one who thought that the story of D3 was sorta.... well, corny/stupid? The original games had some sort of gothic feeling to it, and the storyline felt more serious... whereas this... dunno, it ain't Metzens best work.[/spoiler]
    Story? There is a story? All I saw was some cheesy stereotypical blabla, horrible dialogues and not so good voice acting (I am glad Cain was not long with us, the guy really drove me nuts with his intonations — the barbarian's voice is top notch though). Its been very long since Blizzard actually had some original content in their games.

But its Diablo, it does not need a story. Its 'go there, kill stuff'. In all honesty, D2 story wasn't any better.

---------- Post added 2012-05-18 at 07:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rioo View Post
    You gotta be more then a regular guy to beat the freaking prime evil, something the most powerful warrior (Imperius) failed at pretty bad. No normal human can do that no matter how skilled he or she is.
    Well, all one needs is the magical power of immortality ^^