Thread: Servers copied?

Servers copied?

heard a big rumour that the D3 login servers are trying to be actively cracked - and is the reason for the downtime as holes are being patched, so the serves can be duped by hackers.....

10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously doubt that.
    -K

Deleted
    I highly doubt that's the case. From what I've seen/heard, the problem is too many people logging in at once. As its mostly the europe servers that have been down it seems likely as if there was a security risk in their auth servers, surely they'd have to take all 3 regions down for similar amounts of time to fix each one?

there will always be hackers, its not new that they might be trying to find loopholes in D3. Though if thats the reason for the downtime, we simply cant know . Unless annyone got a Source ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by runkel View Post
    there will always be hackers, its not new that they might be trying to find loopholes in D3. Though if thats the reason for the downtime, we simply cant know . Unless annyone got a Source ?
    I suspect people have tried but I don't see it being the reason for such a huge downtime like we had yesterday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalus View Post
    heard a big rumour that the D3 login servers are trying to be actively cracked - and is the reason for the downtime as holes are being patched, so the serves can be duped by hackers.....
    Where did you hear this rumour?
    Sounds like it's just someone's 'theory', because from a networking perspective it makes absolutely no sense.

I think this is more than an isolated case of people getting hacked, though. So far, there have been 2 full threads on the topic with people who've been hacked here and here, discounting all the people making individual topics for themselves as well. Here is an examiner article on the topic and a reddit thread as well. Given that some people with authenticators are reporting getting hacked, I think it is a more sophisticated attack than just people careless with their accounts.

That said, I'm not sure if that's related to servers going down, especially if it's EU only.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    I think this is more than an isolated case of people getting hacked, though. So far, there have been 2 full threads on the topic with people who've been hacked here and here, discounting all the people making individual topics for themselves as well. Here is an examiner article on the topic and a reddit thread as well. Given that some people with authenticators are reporting getting hacked, I think it is a more sophisticated attack than just people careless with their accounts.

That said, I'm not sure if that's related to servers going down, especially if it's EU only.
    Brute-forcing? I wonder what encryption Blizzard uses for their passwords.
    -K

Deleted
    You seriously think passwords are being brute forced? Really?

You dont think its more of the fact that those players dont have authenticators and got their bnet accounts compromised ages ago? Or that they could be subject ( in rare cases) to a "man in the middle " attack?

But i guess the player is completely innocent and Blizzard is to blame. It's as if you overlooked the fact that its a small handful of players out of the MILLIONS that play D3 got hacked.