Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    Multiple hostile entities detected...
    Commencing attack protocol....

News!
    Five children were shot and killed today while trespassing in Old Man Grumpy's yard.

Because yelling Get off my lawn! all day long will only get you so far.

Will not lie, I laughed a good bit at this.

However, a UAV as far as I know is generally piloted by someone offsite, as would these drones, so I'm fairly sure they would have the brains not to shoot the kids for running into old man grumpy's yard, but rather the operator would contact a patrol car to swing by and tell the kids to get off the lawn.

*edit* and when I say the operator would have the brains not to shoot them, I say so because the operator will not only have to undergo training which would involve when and when not to use the weapons, but also undergo screening, psych tests, just like any police officer would, I highly doubt they're gonna let Jerry the retard into the pilots seat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could see this being entertainment, youtube videos popping up of people getting pwned by these drones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    So this is where it has come to!
    Like all machines, they just need to be made user friendly and all will be fine!

It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Quote Originally Posted by Cottonmouth View Post
    The day you're possibly getting mugged and one is around and saves you will be the day you stop crying about it.

also if they shoot people coming over the border with those it's gonna be funny.
    The day I'm possibly getting mugged I've got a 9mm to answer the mugger. How does one keep from being mugged by a government that has weapons on drones aimed at their own citizens?
    Wikipedia is not a reference for anything.

The day you're possibly getting mugged and one is around and saves you will be the day you stop crying about it.

also if they shoot people coming over the border with those it's gonna be funny.
    Meh the day I'm geting mugged my attacker is going to get shot reguardless of haveing a drone around, and not with rubber bullets.

While I'm a bit leary of these things over our cities in general, not just armed, for out on the border I'm all for it. There are plenty of legal ways to enter the country, sneaking accross the border in the dead of night is not one of them. If an illigal alien trying to cross the border gets pelted by rubber bullets and teargas and is scared off by a drone, well they should be glad I wasnt in charge of arming the thing, I'd be much nastier.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Sudan isn't part of the Western world. Chile is part of the Western world. I'm not even sure Russia is considered part of the Western world and I don't recall the last time I heard about French or Japanese police beating a man to death. In the United States, there's always a couple of new reports every year about some poor soul getting gunned down by the cops for pulling out their cellphone or getting beaten to death because they're "resisting arrest" or whatever. There isn't a lot of international data about it because, quite frankly, it isn't really a first world problem.
    Doesnt matter which part of the world that happens. Ah yes, you may not have heard. But I have. Simply in the case of USA it is for some reason shouted everywhere, not only on some local news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Doesnt matter which part of the world that happens. Ah yes, you may not have heard. But I have. Simply in the case of USA it is for some reason shouted everywhere, not only on some local news.
    What does that have to do with the discussion about whether or not it is appropriate for police in the United States to have drones?

Eh not really worried about that part at all last I checked even the marines don't like the government unless you seriously believe the military fights for the government and not the people and the country.
    Ya cause the militarily in every tyrannical country ever always fight for the people huh? In a first world country things like this shouldn't be needed.
    And also to everyone saying this is like a police officer, a police officer can't look into private property without cause like this drone would be able to. And if it did how would we prove it did?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Okay, you "the government is taking away my rights!" people need to calm the fuck down and actually think for a moment before you say that. Please, just this once.

The only difference, literally the only difference, between this and a police officer is that the drone can fly. I challenge anyone to find one thing that's even vaguely unconstitutional about this.
    I want flying police officers
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

What does that have to do with the discussion about whether or not it is appropriate for police in the United States to have drones?
    Because you said "American police forces, which are sadly notorious for being some of the worst civil rights abusers in the Western world."
    Which you didnt prove.

And then you rattled off the names of a bunch of countries that aren't in the Western world and a couple of countries that are in the West but don't have police brutality problems. What's your point? Are you saying the United States isn't notorious for having some of the worst policing problems in the West? I thought that was self evident.
    And here it goes again.
    I dont care what you thought. Its either cold, hard facts or nothing. Prove that USA have those problems. Then we can talk about police state or whatever.
    So yes, I am saying that USA is not notorious for that, unless in the minds of tinfoilers.

10+ Year Old Account
    And then you rattled off the names of a bunch of countries that aren't in the Western world and a couple of countries that are in the West but don't have police brutality problems. What's your point? Are you saying the United States isn't notorious for having some of the worst policing problems in the West? I thought that was self evident.

---------- Post added 2012-05-26 at 02:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    And here it goes again.
    I dont care what you thought. Its either cold, hard facts or nothing. Prove that USA have those problems. Then we can talk about police state or whatever.
    So yes, I am saying that USA is not notorious for that, unless in the minds of tinfoilers.
    No, I don't think so. I'm not getting drawn into this little side show of off-topic minutia. What happens after I run down the necessary articles, write the accompanying post, and then move back on topic? You just ignore it and pick at something else or leave the thread. This isn't my first rodeo.
    Last edited by Beavis; 2012-05-26 at 02:59 AM.

Articles?
    How about scientific research?