Thread: Sleeping.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sleeping.

Okay, so this is very hard for me to write since I never actually talked about it so please no retarded comments about im a moron with no friends or whatever you're able to come up with:

So for the past year or so, (might be more) I have had trouble falling asleep, like Im just laying in my bed, trying to sleep, its like im having turmoil in my legs, I just cant get my legs to be relaxed for more than 5 seconds or so. I know this isnt normal, but my question is, do you know what to do? have you/do you experience this yourself? I have been trying everything, Sleeping to music, finding some bored shit in the tv to watch, like everything. and its driving me insane.
    Because Signatures makes a diffrence.

Your body isn't tired when you go to bed. Exercise more during the day. (and not right before you go to sleep).

Stop doing anything in your bed but sleeping. Don't read or watch TV or whatever. You need to re-learn that the bed is for sleeping.

At least that is what I had to do.

I've seen commercials every once in a while about restless leg syndrome. Might be worth looking into. If it isn't that the best advice I can offer you is to just wear yourself out during the evening, go take a run an hour or 2 before you sleep, do some light lifting, or do yoga. Just make sure to give your heart and muscles time to get out of 'doing shit' mode before you try and sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Stop doing anything in your bed but sleeping. Don't read or watch TV or whatever. You need to re-learn that the bed is for sleeping.
    I've heard this is supposed to help for some people, it has never really helped me though. I guess I also trained myself to sleep about anywhere at any time though back when my schedule was full of shit to do all the time. As long as I have a pillow, semi-soft wall, pile of clothes, or a shoe... I can sleep basically anywhere.
    Last edited by Goatfish; 2012-05-25 at 08:20 AM.

Deleted
    Go to the doctor, tell him to check your melatonin. If something wrong he'll give you some (pretty harmless) medication, if not it's lifestyle.

Right now I'm testing how it helps me to avoid all sort of electronic 3 hours before my sleep and setting my alarm everyday at 8 (Even if I had no sleep or hardly any).
    It's improving, instead of 1 day shitty sleep, 1 day no sleep and 1 day okay sleep, I have had 2 days of shitty sleep and a proper nights rest.

For your legs: Splash cold water on your ankles & do some stretching: bend over to reach for your toes, bring your heel to your buttocks, move that blood around.

Last but not least, if you need sound to block thoughts I've had rainymood.com on for the last 5 days. The obnoxious raindrops really tear out a yawn for me.

Good luck sir or ma'am!

10+ Year Old Account
    this is an actual medical condition - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome

run around your house five times before bed. seriously. tire yourself out. also...iron pills.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Your body isn't tired when you go to bed. Exercise more during the day. (and not right before you go to sleep).

At least that is what I had to do.
    I an currently doing workout every second day in the week, i am completly exhausted when im done, But thanks alot for the reply. Ill try with your tip, since at the moment im watching some videos on youtube when I lay in bed, But Ill stil with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    I've seen commercials every once in a while about restless leg syndrome. Might be worth looking into. If it isn't that the best advice I can offer you is to just wear yourself out during the evening, go take a run an hour or 2 before you sleep, do some light lifting, or do yoga. Just make sure to give your heart and muscles time to get out of 'doing shit' mode before you try and sleep.

I've heard this is supposed to help for some people, it has never really helped me though. I guess I also trained myself to sleep about anywhere at any time though back when my schedule was full of shit to do all the time. As long as I have a pillow, semi-soft wall, pile of clothes, or a shoe... I can sleep basically anywhere.
    Ill try look into that restless leg syndrome you talk about. Thanks for the reply.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Restless Leg Syndrome
    2) Tire yourself out before going to bed.

The posters above me really hit the nail on the head. All I used to do after school was sit on wow and facebook and when I heard a beep I'd tab out and talk to friends on facebook. Could barely sleep despite going to bed at 10. However, when I had done sport at school that day, I slept so easily, so I began doing sport every day - that made it worse.

Being a wannabe scientist, I decided to (badly) test this and over the course of a year, noticed that:

If I played video games within an hour of going to bed, I wouldn't have problems getting to sleep, but I would not feel rested.
    If I did sport every 3-4 days then I would sleep really well. If I did it more regularly than this, I'd sleep well and feel refreshed but legs and things would ache so it was an "euuurgh" moment every day - I also walk to school so >.< If I did it once a week instead of twice then I would feel myself falling back into the old pattern by the end of the week.

You know all those things your parents told you to do/not do before sleeping when you were a kid? Yeah, I chose to test them, and I personally found them to work. Results may vary, my test was probably a bit O.o but heyho.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    i almost never exercise and my normal condition is asleep srsly i sleep everytime i get a few min of sitting down. On the buss, during lessons, when i play wow. I even fall asleep standing sometimes, it's wierd as hell because it doesn't feel like normal sleep : /

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post

I wouldn't run, running will put you in a state where adrenalin is still pumping around in your system. Simple walking will be more effective.
    Yoga is very good though, never tried lifting, (might explain why I'm weak like jello).

Routine is the key, if your body didn't receive the it's sleeping time indications, it will not start the shutting down process. Your body might have none, time to learn some!

Restless Leg syndrome is entirely possible, see a doctor to check on that.

Possible changes to make that may influence sleep -

Remove all electronics from your bedroom, they generate faint fields that can potentially effect sleep negatively
    Reposition your bed and make sure there is no electrical wiring in the wall directly behind your head
    Relax to binaural beats instead of music.
    Lower all light sources when the sun goes down, and ensure there are no lights in the room when you get to bed (even faint ones)
    Do not eat less than 2 hours before you plan on sleeping
    Head to bed as soon as you begin feeling tired, not well after you've started feeling sleepy.
    Read a book.
    Run a humidifier/dehumidifier/air purifier/air ionizer in your room as needed

Crazy things that may affect sleep -
    Face the head of your bed south
    Have running water in your room, perhaps a small fountain
    ensure that your bed is not facing a mirror
    make sure a window is not behind the head of your bed (cold air runs behind your neck)
    Close all the doors in your room before you go to sleep
    ensure that your room is easily pathed through, to allow better flow of energy

And as someone said previously - Your bed is for sleep and sex. That is it. As I sit here on my laptop in my bed. BAD ME BAD.

ALSO - You sleep better in a room that is sitting around 63 degrees F than you do in a warm room. That's the one thing that I've gotten from doctors more than anything else in response to trouble falling asleep. COLD ROOM GOOD. Something to do with resting heart rates and stuff.
    Last edited by drukai; 2012-05-25 at 08:34 AM.

Sounds like RLS, I have it as well so I know exactly what it's like. It means that most of the time you can't feel comfortable unless your legs are bouncing or moving. Most of the time I don't realise I'm doing it at all until someone tells me (and by 'tell' I mean shout "WILL YOU STOP BOUNCING?!"). :P

For a while I had issues sleeping because of it but like the guy above me said, you just need to train your body to realise that Bed = Sleep Time. After a while I just started falling asleep regardless of how tired I actually am, and it stopped my RLS being a problem. The human brain is a machine of habit and adaptation. All you need to do is train it to associate Beds with Sleep.

My only problem is if I lie down on a couch I have the exact same reaction and will almost instantly fall asleep haha.

Another thing which sounds like pseudo-science but actually works, is to have something in your room which creates the sound of rain or water. A mini fountain or even a fish tank filter is enough. But it will drastically affect how easily you fall asleep. Complete silence is bad for sleep. In nature complete silence doesn't exist, and so in the absence of noise the human mind will subconsciously start seeking out noises from potential threats, which keeps your brain active instead of relaxed for sleep. Give it a try.
    Last edited by Kalmakk; 2012-05-25 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaleesi View Post
    I wouldn't run, running will put you in a state where adrenalin is still pumping around in your system. Simple walking will be more effective.
    Yoga is very good though, never tried lifting, (might explain why I'm weak like jello).

Routine is the key, if your body didn't receive the it's sleeping time indications, it will not start the shutting down process. Your body might have none, time to learn some!
    When would you recommend taking a walk? and for how long? if we say I go to sleep at 23:00 (I think thats 11 PM Not sure though.)

Deleted
    This is a recognised disease. You need to get professional help and recieve proper treatment from doctor, not mmochamptions readers. If you have lack of iron in blood or similar, running around house won't help much.

dont ever put interesting things on the TV to watch

put some real boring shit on, like 24hr news channels - they always send me to sleep.
    <insert witty signature here>

Quote Originally Posted by Scythax View Post
    Sounds like RLS, I have it as well so I know exactly what it's like. It means that most of the time you can't feel comfortable unless your legs are bouncing or moving. Most of the time I don't realise I'm doing it at all until someone tells me (and by 'tell' I mean shout "WILL YOU STOP BOUNCING?!"). :P

For a while I had issues sleeping because of it but like the guy above me said, you just need to train your body to realise that Bed = Sleep Time. After a while I just started falling asleep regardless of how tired I actually am, and it stopped my RLS being a problem. The human brain is a machine of habit and adaptation. All you need to do is train it to associate Beds with Sleep.

My only problem is if I lie down on a couch I have the exact same reaction and will almost instantly fall asleep haha.
    that was 100% accurate, exactly how it is for me. Guess Ill have to stop doing anything in the bed. thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by dragon12dk View Post
    that was 100% accurate, exactly how it is for me. Guess Ill have to stop doing anything in the bed. thanks man!
    I actually updated the original post so maybe the extra stuff I added will help out too

Ditto what the others have said about Restless Legs Syndrome. It sounds silly at first, but it is a legitimate health concern. I don't get it very often, but once in awhile I'll get this crazy sensation that I have to move my legs. It's hard to explain if you've never experienced it; it's not painful, but it's incredibly uncomfortable. Making sure you're good and tired should also help, but if that doesn't work, check with a doctor. Here's some information that might help:
    http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/rls-tips

Best of luck!
    Nameless hunter pets make me rage. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythax View Post
    I actually updated the original post so maybe the extra stuff I added will help out too
    What about a website for the sounds and just having speakers / headphones on my night table, would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by dragon12dk View Post
    What about a website for the sounds and just having speakers / headphones on my night table, would that work?
    not a bad alternative, but remember that speakers/headphones have a tinny sound that your ears will pick up and can cause headaches or even more entertaining sleep problems :P

Quote Originally Posted by drukai View Post
    not a bad alternative, but remember that speakers/headphones have a tinny sound that your ears will pick up and can cause headaches or even more entertaining sleep problems :P
    I am already having weekly Migrane like headaches as I said.. weekly, though the docters I have been contacting about the headache problem doesnt really seem to care that much. as douchy as it sounds thats how it is.